Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mogollon, NM Ghost Town

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Mogollon, NM Ghost Town

Originally posted by rosflo

: My grandparents lived in Mogollon, NM between 1860 - 1930. Does anyone have relatives that lived/worked in the town during those years? Seeking ANY information. Look forward to hearing from someone.

Default My great grandmother and family lived in Mogollon

Hi there,

I just found out that my great grandmother lived there from about 1902 until at least 1912. Her father was a miner in town, and he lived there from about 1900 until 1912 when he died from miner's consumption and was buried in town. I really want to go there and take pictures (especially of his grave) but I am not sure when I can do this since I have 2 kids. I have a postcard photo of the town from the early 1900s and a picture of my great grandmother and her mom plowing the field in front (?) of their house in Mogollon. If my laptop was working I'd post those pictures. Maybe I'll be able to do that soon if anyone is interested. I think it's really neat that my ancestors lived in such an interesting place. They came from England (Cornwall) to Mogollon-what a change!

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Babygoo, you might enjoy reading back through the posts put up by TuuTuuTango, who has a real passion for Mogollon and spends a lot of his time there, when able.
    He has a very good project underway concerning a grave he foundthere, which is the final resting place of one Susie Hand. TuuTuu want's to see the site preserved and maintained. In fact, many of us would.
    I often think of our British ancestors and the "culture shock" they endured. In my families case it was the lush green of Ireland for the harsher New South Wales.
    I don't think there'd have been much in the way of preparation for a Cornishman to meet American natives. Imagine meeting your first hostile party! No-one stopped for tea and scones.
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

tuutuutango Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    Babygoo, you might enjoy reading back through the posts put up by TuuTuuTango, who has a real passion for Mogollon and spends a lot of his time there, when able.
    He has a very good project underway concerning a grave he foundthere, which is the final resting place of one Susie Hand. TuuTuu want's to see the site preserved and maintained. In fact, many of us would.
    I often think of our British ancestors and the "culture shock" they endured. In my families case it was the lush green of Ireland for the harsher New South Wales.
    I don't think there'd have been much in the way of preparation for a Cornishman to meet American natives. Imagine meeting your first hostile party! No-one stopped for tea and scones.
    Right you are... Can you imagine a family fresh off the boat from Ulster, Dublin, Edinburgh or London... then buying horses and riding out to the West here in the USA in the mid 1850s...

I spent many summers on my grandparents ranch in Texas and it scared the BaJeebers out of me and my cousins to step out of the yard at night. We thought we were going to get scalped by "Injuns" or bitten by rattle snakes, or fall into a cactus plant.

I can't even begin to think of how much fortitude the Europeans must have had to ride out in an open prarie back in the 1800s in the West...

I hope to be headed back to Mogollon to install a metal plate on the gravesite I adopted to prevent more pine seeds from finding topsoil in which to sprout.. While I am there, I'll do my best to snap some more pictures of the gravesites having readable headstones and then burn the pictures to a CD... Maybe this way, the gravesites might still continue to deteriorate, but for at least a moment in time in 2008, the image of what remains can be preserved for future generations.

These poor souls who came here, toiled and died... what a story. And they came for the most part from England, Ireland, Scotland, Spain and later Mexico... May their souls rest in peace and I hope they can be remembered.

Thanks. Tututango gave me an excellent link to mogollonenterprises.com that has full documentation of my great great grandfather's grave-pictures and all! I think it's great that there are other people out there that really appreciate the history behind graveyards. I don't find them creepy, just really interesting. Even if I don't know the people. I certainly would appreciate it if anyone who went there snapped some pictures for me sometime. I have a couple pictures of my relatives in Mogollon, but I can't upload them until I get my laptop back (which hopefully will be only a few more days). Thanks for everyone's advice and help!

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Pleasure, Babygoo. I'm sure I'm not the only one who eagerly awaits those pictures of your relatives in Mogollon.
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Default Mogollon pictures

Ok, well I had typed up a long post and lost it...AAAHHHH! So annoying. Anyway, yeah! I got my laptop back! I tried to upload a picture to this website but my photos are too big, and I don't know how to resize them. I just posted them on my public photobucket account. Everyone should be able to view them here:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/googley23/Mogollon/

If you have problems, let me know. So the first pictures are of my great grandmother Emily Evelyn Williams. She was born in Cornwall, England in 1894. They moved to the U.S. in 1902 (per the 1910 census when they were living in Mogollon). Her father Thomas Penberthy Williams was a miner who was in Mogollon in 1900 (on the census) and died there in 1912. He is buried there, and anyone who wants to see his grave can go here: http://www.mogollonenterprises.com/Williams_71.pdf

(THANK YOU!!!!!! TuuTuuTango!!!!!)

In 1916 Emily Evelyn had a child Lillian (my grandmother) who was born in Chicago and ended up living in San Francisco before she turned 1 year old. So, I am fairly certain that this picture was taken in Mogollon. My grandmother wrote on the back of one of the pictures that Thomas Williams died when Evelyn was 14, when really she was about 18. Even though she was off a little, I still think that this picture is from Mogollon. The next set is of their house in Mogollon. It seems like they had a nice place...look at the bay window. By "nice" I mean it's certainly not a shack! There are two chickens running around in the picture too. After that is the postcard of Mogollon. This must have been a common postcard since the mogollonenterprises.com website has this shot on their home page. I took some macro close ups so you could see it in more detail. Hopefully my sister will find the box of photos that is somewhere in her house. My grandmother Lillian gave these to her, and I'm hoping to find more pictures and clues to these particular ancestors.

Hope you all enjoy!

Laurie

tuutuutango Guest

Thumbs up WOW, this is a GOLDMINE

Laurie:

These pictures are stunning! I very much appreciate your sharing them with us.

I am now able to see how my favorite ghosttown looked in it's prime. The times I've been to Mogollon, I tried to imagine how it looked long ago, and your pictures show such details that I never could have dreamed of. Your grandmother was a very attractive lady and it is always interesting to me how back in those days, they even dressed up to plow or work in the garden. These pictures are VERY cool... what a treasure for you to have them.I suggest you do some high-resolution scans and share them with all your kinfolk. I did the same a few years ago for my clan. In the digital environment on a CD, they can be cherished for centuries to come. Please keep your story about your grandparents (and Mogollon) alive in this manner.

As far a graveyards being "creepy" to some people, to me--that's the real story about the ghosttown. Here are where the people "slumber" who built the structures we like to explore, these were the people who ran the businesses, educated their kids, taught in the schools and mined the ore. I always pay my respect at the cemetery because the story isn't complete without a stop there. It's the people and their stories, not the ruins or old stuctures that are the prime draw for me.

Next time I go to Mogollon, I'll get you some very nice photos of your grandfathers resting-place... Again thanks for the pictures and the story about your most impressive link to Mogollon.

(See my Mogollon videos on YouTube... Type in my moniker TUUTUUTANGO on the YouTube search box and look for Mogollon...)
    Last edited by tuutuutango; 03-04-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added a line

Default Mogollon residents and Youtube

Hi TTT,

Thanks for the compliment! I'll have to send you a picture of my grandmother, she was a real stunner! I have thought that I need to buy a scanner. I have a huge box of pictures that's sitting on my kitchen table (as we "speak") that I need to document and preserve. There are negatives of my great grandparents that I need to develop, but it's going to cost me about $6 a picture! I truly value and cherish what I have, and I really enjoy the search for my ancestry. I grew up not knowing either of my grandfathers, and nothing beyond that. My mom never really talked about her family, and my dad died when I was 7. I have always wanted to research my family history, and I only started this in November of 2007. I knew at most the names of one or two of my great grandparents. The internet has been amazing...so much information to be found! A perfect example is the fact that within 24 hours of me finding out that my great grandmother lived in Mogollon, you gave me the link that showed me pictures and diagrams of my great great grandfather's grave. Amazing! I will document and preserve everything I have. I recently pushed for my mother in law to get her brother to bring their dad's 8mm film down to be transfered. I mean, he took footage of his time in Europe during WWII, and they just have it in some attic on 8mm film! Crazy! Anyway, it's extremely unfortunate that on 99% of the pictures I have nothing is written. I have to be a super dectective to figure everything out, but that's where the fun lies!

I am happy to take as many detailed close ups of the pictures as needed to satisfy people's interest. Just let me know.

Thanks again for your help and willingness to take further pictures to help me document my ancestry!

Sincerely,

Laurie

Default Duh...

I forgot to mention that I'm going to look at your youtube videos when I get a chance. I am looking forward to it! Right now it's bedtime for the chillins' though, so it's kind of hard at the moment to find time.

Thread Information