Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mogollon, NM Ghost Town

Default Your Mogollon Videos

Hi TTT,

Thanks for the great videos! I loved watching the road to Mogollon. I tried to call the phone number for Mogollon Enterprises (it's on the form you download to submit family information) but it doesn't work. I did send them an email, and I left a message at the Silver Creek Inn in case they know who's working on that project. I figure in such a "small town" they would know!

I posted some new pictures of my ancestors that lived in Mogollon (although these new ones were not taken in Mogollon). I included one of my grandmother Lillian to show you how beautiful she was (because of your comment on my g grandmother).

Hope you enjoy!

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ey23/Mogollon/

tuutuutango Guest

Default Contacting someone in Mogollon, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

I gave up on trying to contact anybody in Mogollon. I've sent snail-mal and e-mail to the people who run the bed & breakfast at the Holland General Store, no reply.

I've sent a CD of pictures to the Mogollon Cemetery Archive, it came back undeliverable.

I am beginning to think Mogollon is indeed a real Ghost Town with ficticious residents (I think there are about a dozen folks living there) Or, the people who still live in Mogollon are clannish and don't like "outsiders."

I am going back this summer, maybe then during the peak of their "tourist season" I'll have better luck at meeting someone there.

I also think I might have a "clue" as to where your kinfolks home might have been in Mogollon. I'll look for better details this summer when I go back. Some things in the background of your photos might still be present, so I'll investigate. Might post another video on YouTube showing this area better.

Default Mogollon's "inhabitants"

Oh TTT, you're awesome! I would love to go this summer as well. I'll have to see if I can get my sister to watch the kids so my husband and I can make the trip. I'll lure him with promises of the incredible pancakes you mentioned in your youtube video and pie! I did ask a few questions of the Silver Creek Inn about cost per night or if you need to stay a whole weekend, so maybe they will call me back. We'll see. I'm pretty persistant though, so I might just keep calling them periodically. I did some research on your Susie E Hand on Ancestry.com and came up with nothing. I searched a bunch of different ways too. That doesn't mean there's nothing to be found, just that I didn't find it this time. I tried searching published family trees too in order to see if I could find a living relative for you to ask permission about replacing her headstone. Didn't find anything. I did realize that there's some sort of error on the translation of her headstone though. It says she was 18 when she died, but the years don't match up. If she was born May 1878 and died in August 1895 she would have only been 17. So I figure the error is in the transcription of her death year. 1896 would make sense, and it's easy to confuse a 5 with a 6. So let me know what you think since you've seen it in person. Also, I had a question about where she was born. I can't make out the transcription beyond "Eskala" and what looks like "Mta" or "Nta" maybe. I searched the internet and found that there is a town called Escalante. So maybe that's where she was born? Since you've been there, what do you think it says? Here's the link to the mogollonenterprises.com site: http://www.mogollonenterprises.com/Hand_63.pdf
    and here's a link to wikipedia's info on Escalante:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalante,_Utah
    I did search the 1880 census for anyone with the last name Hand that lived in Utah and didn't find her. If I remember correctly there were only two people listed. Anyway, I'll try and help you find a living relative as best I can!

I'm excited that you think you might have an idea as to where in Mogollon they lived. I would love to see what it looks like now and walk around. I recently went to my great grandfather's house in Riverside, CA and found that it's an auto repair and sales place. Kind of funny and weird. Apparently the land is worth over a million though (it's in old town Riverside which is seeing a resurgence) and the city tried to buy it from the guy.

Talk to you soon,

Babygoo

Default It's official...you care the most about Mogollon

Quote Originally Posted by tuutuutango View Post
    I gave up on trying to contact anybody in Mogollon. I've sent snail-mal and e-mail to the people who run the bed & breakfast at the Holland General Store, no reply.

I've sent a CD of pictures to the Mogollon Cemetery Archive, it came back undeliverable.

I am beginning to think Mogollon is indeed a real Ghost Town with ficticious residents (I think there are about a dozen folks living there) Or, the people who still live in Mogollon are clannish and don't like "outsiders."

I am going back this summer, maybe then during the peak of their "tourist season" I'll have better luck at meeting someone there.

I also think I might have a "clue" as to where your kinfolks home might have been in Mogollon. I'll look for better details this summer when I go back. Some things in the background of your photos might still be present, so I'll investigate. Might post another video on YouTube showing this area better.

Hi TTT,

Well, I was pleased that the Silver Creek Inn people called me back the next day, but I didn't get the "warm fuzzies" from him when I was talking to him. I told him how you were trying to contact the mogollonenterprises.com people and he pretty much cut me off and said "you won't". I told him how you sent something and it was returned to sender and he said that the owner of a bunch of the buildings downtown kind of owns it "from a far". He also said that pretty much nobody is doing anything pertaining to the cemetery. He also didn't seem too excited when I told him that my ancestors lived there. I kind of got the feeling that he didn't really care or think that it was interesting. I think that you should take over the preservation of the history of the town! You obviously care more than people who own the property! I've left a message with the guy that own most of the buildings in town (I think I have the right person) so we'll see if I get a call back from him. Anyway, I think it's sad that the people who own property there don't care nearly as much as you do (and I do!). I would love to document and preserve the history of the town, and to add my ancestor's story, but it seems that I won't be able to. What a shame that they aren't following up on this.

Default Mogollon Cemetery Archives and more pictures

Hi Everyone,

If you want to contact the Mogollon Cemetery Archives their new correct address is:

Mogollon Cemetery Archives
    HC 61
    Box 319
    Mogollon, NM 88039

Also, my dad's cousin is mailing me some more pictures of my ancestors that lived and worked in Mogollon. I will post them to my photobucket account as soon as I can.

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by babygoo View Post
    I included one of my grandmother Lillian to show you how beautiful she was (because of your comment on my g grandmother).

Hope you enjoy!
    Why, Miss Lillian! Very pleased to make your acquaintance.

Babygoo - now you have me wondering!
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

I know, my grandma was hot, right? Who knew? To me she was always just my grandma (although always very put together). But yes, the apple didn't fall far from that tree!

Oh cool! Now I'm a couch potato ghost towner! How true that is!

tuutuutango Guest

"[quote=babygoo;31258] Hi TTT, Well, I was pleased that the Silver Creek Inn people called me back the next day, but I didn't get the "warm fuzzies" from him when I was talking to him. .. UNQUOTE"
    That is the same feeling I got when NEVER hearing back from these people after calling, sending two e-mails and even sending the Silver Creek Inn a letter the old-fashioned-way. I'll never stay at their place because I get the feeling they are either clannish, don't give a hoot, or are out back smoking something not bought a grocery store.

I'd also suggest looking in to staying at one of the motels in Glenwood. The people in that town were very accomodating to me and friendly, and of course Golden Girls Cafe has those killer pancakes.

Last thing I'd recommend. TAKE YOUR CHILLIN...

When my dad first took me to Mogollon in the mid 1960s, (for me) it was a very grand thrill and something I'll never forget. Of course the long drive from El Paso to Mogollon, my dad talked about ghost towns, how folks panned for gold, and miners, the saloons that were in Mogollon, and bears and all that good rot... So by the time I arrived, I was pretty pumped up. I was so excited, I thought maybe I was going to even see Dorothy and Toto... Mogollon is a great place for kids...

FOR BOTH YOU AND GRAVELRASH... (and anybody new to Mogollon) make sure as you are driving up that really fun road, when you see the mine trailings (the white stuff) stop your car atop the mountain at a spot where you can pull off and get out for a leg stretch. It'll be pretty obvious where you can park, and then glance down to the valley below. The view is wonderful, the air pristine and the moment will be recorded into your memory forever...

I'll try and get a GPS Lat/Long where this spot is so you won't miss it. If I go back in my airplane in a few weeks, I'll shoot an aerial photo and post it here showing the spot and the view from the road.
    Better yet, I'll make a new video to post on YouTube with my aerial pictures of Mogollon. For some reason, it is easier for me to edit a video and post pictures on YouTube than it is on Ghostowns.com... Plus, I can put music on YouTube...
    Last edited by tuutuutango; 03-14-2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Warm fuzzies and Mogollon pictures

Hi TTT,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I didn't get a message saying you had replied to this thread, even though I've subscribed (I'm not very forum savvy). Anyway, the Silver Creek Inn guy said there are no children allowed at their fine establishment (again, warm fuzzies ) and frankly I think my 4 year old and 8 month old would make me crazy. My 4 year old is really two handfuls (not just a handful), and I can just see my 8 month old screaming in the car all the way up the hill. Maybe when they're a bit older! I am planning a family trip to Pagosa Springs, CO the first week in June, so maybe I can get somebody to go to Mogollon with me. I think we're going to fly into Albuquerque, so it might be possible. It just depends on everyone's schedule.

And for the real bummer news...my dad's cousin sent the pictures...and they're photocopied. He said they're in a photo album, and that's why he photocopied them. I'm trying to get him to have his son in law scan them or send them to me for scanning. I will do my best to take pictures of the paper he sent me (aargh!) but he also had to fold it to get it in the envelope. It really is important to me to get them scanned, as I don't have any pictures of Thomas Williams or his wife (when she was young at least). I will post those pictures on my photobucket account after this post.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ey23/Mogollon/

Well, hope you enjoy the new "pictures".

Laurie
    Last edited by babygoo; 03-19-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Thread Information