Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mine above Belmont Mill, NV

Default Mine above Belmont Mill, NV

I guess I'll be the one to start a thread for Getting There! During last year's Ghost Town Rally in Ely, NV, one of the places we visited was the Belmont Mill. The mill in itself was an awesome sight (I'd never seen anything so intact), but then we decided to drive to the mine above Belmont Mill, which still has tram cables attached to the mill. The road up to the minesite was almost more fun than the minesite itself, though the minesite is definitely worth the drive. The entire road all the way up was barely wide enough for one vehicle (four wheel drive most definitely required, by the way), but at one point we came across a couple of trucks on their way back down, so we had to compromise and figure out who would pull sideways onto the hill to let who pass. We were the ones that ended up pulling up onto the hill to let the other people pass; I got out of the Jeep because it was so steep, it scared me. I thought for sure the Jeep would roll. At least I got a good picture. Further up the road, we came across a spot in the road where our mirror was scraping against a cliff face and on the other side of the Jeep the tires were almost hanging off the cliff, and there happened to be a huge rock right under the tire closer to the cliff face that our mirror was scraping so driving over that rock made the Jeep lean really far toward the steep fall underneath us; that was such an adrenaline rush. I also got out at that point and took pictures. It was really quite entertaining watching the look on my husband's face driving over that; he was scared to death! Anyway, I am attaching three pictures of that drive to this post (ok, two of the drive and one of a building at the top). Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images    

And I forgot to mention this Jeep was a rental. Needless to say we won't be renting from this certain company again; the Jeep was so scratched up and dented from this road above Belmont Mill; Oops!!

Rachel in Utah
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_town_huntress
    I guess I'll be the one to start a thread for Getting There! During last year's Ghost Town Rally in Ely, NV, one of the places we visited was the Belmont Mill. The mill in itself was an awesome sight (I'd never seen anything so intact), but then we decided to drive to the mine above Belmont Mill, which still has tram cables attached to the mill. The road up to the minesite was almost more fun than the minesite itself, though the minesite is definitely worth the drive. The entire road all the way up was barely wide enough for one vehicle (four wheel drive most definitely required, by the way), but at one point we came across a couple of trucks on their way back down, so we had to compromise and figure out who would pull sideways onto the hill to let who pass. We were the ones that ended up pulling up onto the hill to let the other people pass; I got out of the Jeep because it was so steep, it scared me. I thought for sure the Jeep would roll. At least I got a good picture. Further up the road, we came across a spot in the road where our mirror was scraping against a cliff face and on the other side of the Jeep the tires were almost hanging off the cliff, and there happened to be a huge rock right under the tire closer to the cliff face that our mirror was scraping so driving over that rock made the Jeep lean really far toward the steep fall underneath us; that was such an adrenaline rush. I also got out at that point and took pictures. It was really quite entertaining watching the look on my husband's face driving over that; he was scared to death! Anyway, I am attaching three pictures of that drive to this post (ok, two of the drive and one of a building at the top). Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Rental!
    Yes - thats the way to do it

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_town_huntress
    I guess I'll be the one to start a thread for Getting There! During last year's Ghost Town Rally in Ely, NV, one of the places we visited was the Belmont Mill. The mill in itself was an awesome sight (I'd never seen anything so intact), but then we decided to drive to the mine above Belmont Mill, which still has tram cables attached to the mill. The road up to the minesite was almost more fun than the minesite itself, though the minesite is definitely worth the drive. The entire road all the way up was barely wide enough for one vehicle (four wheel drive most definitely required, by the way),

<snipped for space>

About eight years ago, we took our Hummers up that road all the way to the end at the buildings. At that time, the road was overgrown with several four inch diameter spruce trees which we sawed off to get the road open again.
    Exploring the western US

http://www.Intrepidexplorers.org

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by BradM
    About eight years ago, we took our Hummers up that road all the way to the end at the buildings. At that time, the road was overgrown with several four inch diameter spruce trees which we sawed off to get the road open again.
    You cut down live trees just so you could go play in your Hummer? Way to go!

Act of destruction and vandalism like yours are the major reasons responsible off-roader are losing trails.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrusher

Act of destruction and vandalism like yours are the major reasons responsible off-roader are losing trails.
    "Act of destruction and vandalism like yours"

Really? And what's the imperative that would dictate such?
    That is a bonafide road, and clearing it is not an act of vandalism. It would help if the discussion in question didn't start with a flawed premise from a person who knows precious little of what he presumes to discuss.
    Exploring the western US

http://www.Intrepidexplorers.org

Crane, TX - But I'd rather be in Arizona or Colorado!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrusher

I have to agree with BradM on this one, the 4x4 club I belonged to in Tucson did brush clearing runs several times a year in order to keep little used (but interesting) trails open. If you allow a trail to close itself by letting it to be grown over, you will lose its use permenanetly. We already are losing trails at a phenomenal rate to other closures. Not everybody can or is willing to hike miles to see historical sites.

Tom H.

Default agreement and caution

Hey all, Im all for clearing roads, and like it was said, if you dont clear the roads you will lose them. Dont be afraid to get out there and drive around. The worst perpetrators are the ATV drivers that arent really looking for anything, they just want to go really fast somewhere. As to the first story of the road, I think that is the irresponsible story. When you are out and about you need to know your limits and know when to walk the trail. Dont rely on luck, it will give out on you. Thats when trails get closed and mines get shut is when someone gets hurt. Additionally I say this because I rolled a truck 4 years ago, destroyed my wrist and broke my back in two places. It took close to 4 hours to get to the closest clinic and then another 2 hours to get lifeflight out for extraction. Not trying to rain on your parade but when you talk about you tires riding the edge of the road it just shows a lack of respect for danger out there. If you had rolled you could have killed or crippled yourself and/or your husband.
    Corey Shuman
    aka one_bad_rover or Blke36bimmer
    cshuman@goldrushexpeditions.com
    www.goldrushexpeditions.com

Default Vulture Mine

The mine above Belmont Mill is the Vulture Mine.

Cool Mines Above Belmont

Wow, I see points to both sides of this argument.. By the way, ghost town huntress has been around for a while, I'm sure she knows her limits. Rockcrusher comes from an area where land is constantly being closed to the public, some of which is due to abuse so I certainly see his point. And not all ATV owners are out for some thrill seeking trail destruction. I happen to be the proud owner of a 4x4 ATV that I use to access sites unreachable by my 4x4 toyota tacoma TRD.

I guess that is what makes this forum go round ! OPINIONS!

By the way.. your rover is pretty sweet.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Thread Information