I was just up in Apex, Colorado this past Friday (March 12th, 2004). This was my first trip there. I had been to the Central City graveyards many times to photograph headstones, etc but had never taken the extra step of heading to Apex.

The town is still in great shape. What fascinated me, as well as depressed me, is that someone is building a new timberframe home right next to the old hotel (the first photo on the Apex page). Each and every building there has a "No Trespassing" sign on it. This seems to indicate that a private party has purchased some, if not all, of the land there. There are still good photo opportunities but you have to choose your angles more carefully.

Does anyone know how much of the land was purchased by a private owner? If the owner views this post, please contact me offlist (john@illicitsects.com) because I would very much enjoy talking to you about the property. I am working on building my portfolio and would appreciate an opportunity to spend some time there (legally) capturing the true essence of the place. I wouldn't do it illegally which makes the task difficult.

John