Thread: Crandall, Florida

Default Crandall, Florida

Greetings, all. I just discovered this site and I just discovered Crandall, Florida. It still exists on some maps of Nassau County, FL but is essentially trees and clearings on the St. Mary's River on the Florida/Georgia border.
    Does anyone have any information on Crandall?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just found Crandall Florida prominantly displayed on an 1895 map of Florida. But there is still no other informaton to be found. Most puzzling.

Eric

Smile Crandall

Crandall is my ancestral home! If you haven't heard from other Davis or Mizell family members, you probably will soon. Pick up a copy of Yesterday's Reflections II by Jan S. Johannes Sr, at any bookstore in Fernandina Beach, and you will know as much as anyone about Crandall.

Diane Davis

sddavis told that It was his ancestor home so he has a better Idea about this area.Can you please add some more Information about this area.I have a very limited knowledge on this subject but Interested in learning about this place.

Default Crandall

David:
    Crandall is rather old for Florida. It appears to have started as a sawmill landing. As described in a family history website:

"In the early 1780's, east Florida was transferred back from the British rule to Spanish control. Crandall, formerly called Hillsborough Township, then changed to Township, and on the 1780's map of the Georgia coast, it was marked as Old Town. (On Spicer's Spanish land grant it is referred to as Old Township).

East Florida Spanish land grant records show that during the 1780?s, Thomas Cryer came into possession of Old Town and hundreds of acres around it. Upon his death, the land came into the hands of, Spicer Christopher, who migrated from Maryland. Spicer Christopher's land grants were confirmed in 1797, located on the St. Marys river, where he built his Old Town plantation. Christopher was a wealthy individual who, by 1810, held five plantations from old Port Henry on the St Marys to a large tract on Talbot Island, with houses for overseers and slaves, facilities for breeding mares and groves for raising China oranges. During the 1870's, the name was changed from Old Town to Port Henry. Later it was renamed Crandall. For complete story, see book: Yesterday's Reflections II, Nassau County Florida by Jan Johannes, Sr."
    http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-...anhmz&id=I5784

Happy hunting,
    Bob

Thread Information