Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Ghost town rally

Default 2004 Ghost town rally

I take it that there is no rally scheduled this year?

....also, are there any active Ghost Town groups
    in Yahoo Groups etc?

The Ghost Town Rally will be the weekend of September 25th in Utah.
    Exploring the western US

http://www.Intrepidexplorers.org

Where in Utah?

Unhappy

Oh foo, I'll be in southern Utah in late October, Kanab area.
    Too bad I guess.
    Ryan Hill.

Default Ghost Town Rally 2004

Hey everyone. I'm one of the people planning this year's rally since I'm the one that lives here in north/ central Utah. Basecamp will be Springville, Utah. Cat's still busy trying to put the new announcements, t-shirts, etc. together. It will be the weekend of September 25-26 (we delayed it this year because of the heat and because I had a baby). We will be seeing towns in the Tintic Mining District (Eureka, Dividend, Mammoth, Knightsville, etc.) and also in coal country, Carbon County ( Standardville, Mutual, Coal City, National, Castle Gate, etc.) I put together a list of hotels, including pet friendly lodging and a couple of historic B&B's; Cat should be putting it up on her website soon. Just bear with us; we're working on it!!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Smile The Rally

Hey Rachel - - I live here in Utah Valley (PG) and will plan on coming to the rally on Sept. 25. I would like to help out if you need it. I have a wedding to take care of on the 18th, but that weekend should be free. Let me know if you need anything. I have been doing research on some of the more little known ghost towns around Tintic, so I might have something to contribute.

Ghosttown Bob
    rhg3@email.byu.edu

Bob,

I'd love to hear what info you've got on the Tintic District! I'm planning on going back to Eureka tomorrow (Aug. 21) for the last day of their Tintic Silver Festival to talk to some more locals and hopefully get permission from the guy that "runs" the property that the Chief Consolidated mine is located on to let the rallygoers explore there or at least get a tour. I'm going back again next week sometime to pick up some items from a small gift shop in Eureka for the raffle as well. I'm hoping to also plan a ride on the Heber Creeper for the night of the 24th; they've been allowing dogs on the train lately and I'm hoping they'll be willing to extend that priviledge to the rally goers. Anyway, email me and let me know what you've found out about the Tintic area or maybe we could meet somewhere.

Rachel in Provo ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Rachael I know the guy (although not personally) that you need to get in touch with to get on Chiefs stuff. Where you able to get in touch with anyone on Sat about that property? By the way word has it that Chief Consolidated is bankrupt and so who knows what will happen to the property now. I've been trying to get up there and get pictures before the state reclaims all of it or before vandals get a hold of the Eagle & Bluebell and etc that Chief owns for now, because I think that it will go back to public land. It is funny that you mention this because I was going to email you today about possibly getting up on some of Chiefs property with the whole Ghost town crew, but it looks like you are one step ahead of me. I work with several people that live in Eureka so let me know if I can be of any help.

Quote Originally Posted by cheever
    Rachael I know the guy (although not personally) that you need to get in touch with to get on Chiefs stuff. Where you able to get in touch with anyone on Sat about that property? By the way word has it that Chief Consolidated is bankrupt and so who knows what will happen to the property now. I've been trying to get up there and get pictures before the state reclaims all of it or before vandals get a hold of the Eagle & Bluebell and etc that Chief owns for now, because I think that it will go back to public land. It is funny that you mention this because I was going to email you today about possibly getting up on some of Chiefs property with the whole Ghost town crew, but it looks like you are one step ahead of me. I work with several people that live in Eureka so let me know if I can be of any help.
    Last time I was through Eureka I noticed there are homes almost right up to the Eagle&Bluebell, and the tailings appeared to have been removed. Things have changed a lot there. I would imagine most of the stuff has been taken out of that mine since when I explored the mine in my late teens. It is an awesome mine with extensive workings. I have a set of the original ore shipment ledgers from that mine, dated in the 1920's.
    Exploring the western US

http://www.Intrepidexplorers.org

Brad,

I can't vouche for what was in the mines themselves since I haven't been able to get up there, but from what I understand there are still several surface features still left up there. The mine dump was removed several years ago and reclaimed around the other side of the mountain. From what I understand is that around that same time frame is when the roads up to the Eagle&Bluebell, Chiefcon (I think this is the one that chief owns), and several others were fenced off and only accessible by pemission only. You are right though in the fact that the homes are right up to the base of the canyon where the Eagle&Bluebell are located. I thought that both of these mines were shafts did you guys rapell into them? I just I could have made it down to this area before the state went in and reclaimed all of the mines, because it appears that there were several very large mines down there. How many mines in the area were you able to explore before you moved?
    Last edited by cheever; 08-25-2004 at 06:42 PM.

Thread Information