Thread: Skeleton Canyon in SE Arizona

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Skeleton Canyon in SE Arizona

Here's a great spot if you like remote historic areas; can be traveled by foot or high clearance vehicle.

Skeleton Canyon is located in the corner of Southeast Arizona very close to where Arizona, New Mexico and old Mexico meet. This was where Geronimo surrendered to General Nelson Myles in 1886. Below is an article on the historical aspect of Skeleton Canyon.

The Strange Story of Skeleton Canyon

I visited Skeleton Canyon with a friend some years back and it does seem as remote now as it was in those days.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Default Skeleton Canyon

Your article was posted on BJ's discussion forum just yesterday. Very enjoyable!
    DF

Quote Originally Posted by dusty fog
    Your article was posted on BJ's discussion forum just yesterday. Very enjoyable!
    DF
    Yes, I wanted to post it there as well as here.

Tom
    Last edited by Ghostdancer; 06-19-2004 at 01:36 PM.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Awsome read about Skeleton Canyon, thank you!!! I will have to check this out on my trip to AZ!!!!!

The link doesn't work now ...........Dam. I sure hope it works again soon!
    Last edited by coolguy0621; 05-30-2006 at 01:14 PM.
    Andy

I own a place very near to Skeleton Canyon (in Rodeo, New Mexico). If you plan on going to Skeleton Canyon the road going in from Apache, AZ, along Hiway 80 is locked (200 ft off the Hiway)! You now have to come in from the east side, down the Animas Valley...

Well, I posted this on a couple of other forums so I guess I'll do so here as well...

I just finished reading the book "Lost Treasures Of The West" written by Brad Williams and Choral Pepper which was published in 1975. I found this book at the Winslow, Arizona Public Library where I made a stop on my way to Flagstaff a couple of weeks ago.

The last chapter is about the hidden treasure that is supposedly in Skeleton Canyon that was taken from Mexican smugglers after being ambushed there by the Clanton Gang. Part of it was taken by the outlaws and part of it buried somewhere in the canyon. The link posted at the beginning of this thread tells a similar story, but what the book mentions is that Jim Hughes who was one of the Clanton members spent a lot of time in Mexico and was acquainted with or became a friend of Estrada who was the leader of the Mexican gang that brought the treasure into Skeleton Canyon where he was betrayed by Hughes to the Clantons. It is also mentioned in the book that Hughes was with the Estrada gang when they raided Monterrey, Mexico where they robbed the treasure from and this is why Hughes knew of the treasure. So this account goes, but an interesting read, though I don't know if any buried treasure ever existed in Skeleton Canyon.

Tom

Thread Information