Thread: Central Florida

Default Central Florida

Wondering if anyone here has done any ghost town exploring in Central FL?

I'm a new member but have been visiting ghosttowns.com for quite a while, and have gone to a few FL ghost towns already, but want to learn more.

Any one around here?

Default can you share?

I live in Spring Hill, Fl. Are there any Ghost towns you care to share?Thx

not much in FLA. anymore. most have been raised. try north central area. i hear there are a few old slave encampments but i have never been there. Dave in Tampa

May-Stringer House in Brooksville, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by bavarialand View Post
    not much in FLA. anymore. most have been raised. try north central area. i hear there are a few old slave encampments but i have never been there. Dave in Tampa
    I live in Florida and there is a ghost town close it is called Centralia I have never been there but I have heard about it and it is a real ghost town because there is absolutly nothing there but a old saw mill foundation and some broken wood stove parts and some old roads but other than that there is absolutly nothing and there might be some old walls from houses but there hasen't been anybody living there scince the early 1900's so it has been quite a while.

You have some decent stuff down in the Everglades. You got Deep Lake near the ruins of an old prison about seven miles south of I75 (Alligator Alley) on SR29. Pinecrest is just off the Tamiami Trail/US41 on CR94/Loop Road in the Big Cypress Preserves/Everglades National Park. Pinecrest is a gem, CR94 was supposed to originally be part of US94 which is now the Tamiami Trail/US41. CR94 is partially paved from Pinecrest about 6 miles east to US41, but west of that it is all dirt until it meets up with US41 again near the Oasis Visitor Center in the Big Cypress Preserve. I guess Al Capone had a mansion in Pinecrest, I've seen the ruins of the stairwell going to the door...that's about it. In the southern part of the Everglades National Park you have Snake Bight along the coast north of the Flamingo Visitor Center and the ruins of Old Flamingo west of the same Visitor Center. Its all worth a look, albeit a little dangerous with all the reptile life in the waters.

Thread Information