Thread: What is the current status of a Ghost town called Coppermine Trading Post in Arizona?

Default What is the current status of a Ghost town called Coppermine Trading Post in Arizona?

I would like to know the overall condition of the Coppermine Trading Post in the county Apache in Arizona. My family in the past ran this trading post for many years before I was born. They sold it to a couple which abandoned it, they never payed us back because of it.
    If anyone has any information about this trading post or any pictures please email me.
    I don't know to much about this trading post besides my father and my grandfather Coit Patterson ran the place from 1955-1970.

Smile

Still standing. Two pictures of it on this site. was there a couple years ago. Can't imagine anyone making a living there! Looks like it is on Indian reservation land.

Yeah In fact my Grandfather, grandmother and father ran the place for many years. My father always wanted to know what happened to it, then I found this site.

There was alot of history that was made at Coppermine Trading Post, all was made before I was born. The history I do know is what my father has told me.

Not sure if you have seen John Wayne movies, the hats worn by John Wayne were made by my grandfather at the Coppermine trading post, The indian rugs hanging up in the Phoenix International Airport are also from the trading post.

Could I please ask, how does the site look since you took a look at it, what are the condition of the buildings? besides of which were taken and placed on this site.

Default Coppermine Trading Post

Hello JWP,

The recent article on CTP in AZ highways prompted me to do a little research and I happened across your posting here. I thought you might be John Patterson???...so I thought I'd drop you a line. My name is Jim Roberts and I lived with my family at Coppermine for a bit in the earl 60's.

All the best,

Jim

Hi Jim Roberts,

This is not John Patterson, but his son Jon Patterson.

I just wanted to know what has changed over the years. I don't know a whole lot about my grandfather Coit Patterson, only what I know is childhood, he passed away in 1983.

My grandmother passed away in 2000, which was Coit Patterson's wife.

My father wanted to let me see coppermine and see where he grew up, but he didn't get a chance to do that. We currently reside in Milford, OH and have been living there for about six years.

I don't know much history after my father and my grandfather left the place. I was hoping you can give me some insight of what happened after my grandfather sold it to you.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

There are so many places I wish I'd checked out years ago, and now, may not get the chance. Just now discovering, through my wife's excellent talents in geneology, the old homes and burial sites of my greats and great-greats, on my natural father's side. I'll sure get there, but there was probably something left of those homeplaces 30 - 40- 50 years ago. If I had any advice, and if you're interested, and if you can, I'd "GO WEST YOUNG MAN, GO WEST", as Huntley or Brinkley or Someone said.. In the meantime, it was a long trip by foot, mule, wagon, etc. but it ain't that far. If your question is "should I" , yes. If it is "can I", don't know, but expect, yes. If it's. "Can I do it later?' yes, but there might be nothing left. OJ
    Last edited by old judge; 08-22-2005 at 04:30 PM.

I hope you still check this sight, my Parents Thell & Anna Jean Black bought that store from your Grandfather in 79. No its not still running but we still have the deed for 100 yrs.I'm sure your Grandfather told you many stories I'm just not sure the truth to any of them.

Default Lived at CTP

Quote Originally Posted by CoppermineJWP View Post
    I would like to know the overall condition of the Coppermine Trading Post in the county Apache in Arizona. My family in the past ran this trading post for many years before I was born. They sold it to a couple which abandoned it, they never payed us back because of it.
    If anyone has any information about this trading post or any pictures please email me.
    I don't know to much about this trading post besides my father and my grandfather Coit Patterson ran the place from 1955-1970.
    Hello,

In 1970 or 1971, my stepfather took over as manager of Coppermine. His name was Bob Robertson, and we came from another trading post, which I can't remember the name of, about 4 miles on the Flagstaff side of Gray Mountain. I only lived at Coppermine for a few months, but I remember it fairly well.

The main living area was connected to the market and there was a second one-room building, which became my room. I remember the owner's being very nice people. I recall they had a son or son-in-law in Page. He had a boat and took us boating on the Lake -- I guess it's called Lake Powell now but I remember it being called Glen Canyon Lake.

I would love to hear more about Coppermine from anyone else connected.

Does someone still owe money to the original poster for the purchase of the trading post back in 1979? Just wondering.

My grandfather, C. F. Thompson sold it to your grandfather. I went back and visit it around 1963 and it was the same. It looks terrible now. I have pictures from my grandfather. I spent all of my summers there riding my horse all over.

Thread Information