Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How did these old mining towns get their names?

This is the most way out name for a mining town I've ever seen. The other one around the world was starting to look like a mine when I left.
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...1/IMG_0187.jpg
    Andy

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Names of Historical Places

Quote Originally Posted by Cecile
    I have a couple of good books on place names. For California, the definite guide is
    "California Place Names: The Origin and Etymology of Current Geographical Names" by Erwin G. Gudde.
    Won't help you with mine names or all real old ghosttowns, but it is amazing some of the places you do find in there.

There are many other books out there - the one's I use the most are:
    "Place Names of the Death Valley Region in California & Nevada" edited by T. S. Palmer member of the Death Valley Expedition of 1891,

Naming the Eastern Sierra (Dirty Sock to Bloody Canyon)by Marguerite Sowaal

Signposts & Settlers: The History of Place Names West of the Rockies by Robert I. Alotta

Rough & Ready, California: Founded in 1849 by
    settlers from Wisconsin. The group was led by Captain S. A. Townsend, who had served under General Zachary Taylor during the Mexican War. Taylor was known as "Old Rough and Ready," and Townsend borrowed that name to call his settlers the Rough and Ready Company. When the government levied taxes on the gold mines, the residents here were so incensed that they seceded from the Union wrote their own constitution and established a new country: The Great Republic of Rough and Ready. No one took them seriously, let alone the federal government which continued to levy taxes on them. Rough and Ready was made famous by bret Harte and his story about "The Millionaire of Rough and Ready"
    Just got a call from a friend that found a great book that gives detail on how some historical places got so name.

Johnnie
    Last edited by Johnnie; 07-25-2006 at 06:07 AM.

Default How old mining towns got their names

Gouge Eye sounds like one day two men had a fight,and one man gouged out the eye of his opponent.
    There is a ghost town in Texas named Bug Tussle.I believe a few people still live there.It got it's name because the people saw two beetles tussling or fighting.The highway department i understand has a hard time trying to keep the town sign from being stolen.
    That's like Jot em Down,Texas.
    It got it's name because a store keeper would jot down
    what people owed him for credit or some such thing.Dime Box,Texas got it's name because people would leave a dime for the mail to be picked up back in stagecoach days.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I believe some of these places got their names pretty early on, well before the actual towns were in place. I can imagine some prospectors at the end of a long hard day, unrolling their bedrolls and looking at the scenery around them and saying..."Hey, that there mountain looks like a sleepin' woman." Hence, Sleeping Beauty Mine in Globe, AZ named after Sleeping Beauty Mountain. (of course after months out on the trail, I suspect even their mules began to look like women)
    We've also got Picture Mountain Mine near Tonto Basin. The side of the mountain is eroded away and looks like a picture of a cowboy sitting on a bucking bronco. It would take some imagination to see it, but it's not like they had much else to do without TV or the internet.
    Remember how we used to lay on our backs in the grass as kids and watch all the different cloud formations? ... sorta the same principle.

addition to my original post, here's a picture of Sleeping Beauty Mountain;

Last edited by LauraA; 08-04-2006 at 06:46 AM. Reason: to add a link

Well, I don't know, Laura, the ancient Indians seemed to have had Oprah, & Dr. Phil, so who knows what those miners had available to them in a much more modern time. You might want to read this:
    http://xplorhistcal.livejournal.com/53055.html
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

HA!! That's a GREAT piece of writing!! I bet there's even had a Native American Idol rock somewhere out there waiting to be discovered.

I am a retired geologist and now studying the names of all the ancient mining site localities in India. These sites are several thousands in number and are spread in different States throught the country. Their names are very vivid and fascinating like as narrated by Johnnie and others. Most intersting fact is this many of such names reflect the metal excavated/ mined out from there e.g. iron, copper, gold, silver, etc. The metal names in India's various cultures itself are vivid but could be correlated at many places to these mining site names. This is just to share here on this forum.

Thread Information