Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Just as important as getting there"

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile "Just as important as getting there"

We were thinking what catagory this information falls under and we though that "Just Getting There" was the right one to chose for our tips while out exploring, And we thought it might be valuable to the rest of you fellow ghowners.

While we were surffing the web we came across this web site and it is called "Weather Bug" check it the out it is "free" this is the the full web site wwwweatherbug.com so if you are "out and about" exploring these ghosttowns as we all know the current weather is important to any of us that are out in these rural areas.

I can remember when we visited the ghost town of Gold Point back in the early 1960s we rolled in to the mining camp 3:00 pm and out no where we were hit by a heavy downpore that only lasted about 15min. and then moved on to the next valley, But still caught us off guard.

So all you of you that go out exploring let someone know where you are going and when you are expected back and take your cell phones or 2 way radios or (C Bs) and your "Lap tops" so you can get help if a emergency arises.

Back in the early days when we were out exploring we always turned to channel (9) on our (C Bs) for emergecys.

Getting back to this great web site of (Weather Bug) it will give the latest weather up date for any weather that has a (zip code) as we all know some of these remote aeras don't have a (ZC) so you then you just click on a near by town that does have (Zip Code) and it will give you a satellite dopper view of that local aera or that part of the state, Or you can turn to the satelite view of the whole U. S. and the wather for next week is also avaiable It also give the wind chill the "Low's" and "high's" for several days, and what direction the wind is coming from, And at what speed. plus much, much, more, Very valuable tool to all of us who like to travel the back roads. Let us know on the bulletin board what all of think of this great web site that all of us, in the past years would have had in our 4wd's while out exploring.

From the desk of Johnnie & Sheila
    old west Researchers, & Historians
    Last edited by Johnnie; 02-14-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Smile Unpredictable Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie
    We were thinking what catagory this information falls under and we though that "Just Getting There" was the right one to chose for our tips while out exploring, And we thought it might be valuable to the rest of you fellow ghowners.

While we were surffing the web we came across this web site and it is called "Weather Bug" check it the out it is "free" this is the the full web site wwwweatherbug.com so if you are "out and about" exploring these ghosttowns as we all know the current weather is important to any of us that are out in these rural areas.

I can remember when we visited the ghost town of Gold Point back in the early 1960s we rolled in to the mining camp 3:00 pm and out no where we were hit by a heavy downpore that only lasted about 15min. and then moved on to the next valley, But still caught us off guard.

So all you of you that go out exploring let someone know where you are going and when you are expected back and take your cell phones or 2 way radios or (C Bs) and your "Lap tops" so you can get help if a emergency arises.

Back in the early days when we were out exploring we allways turned to channel (9) on our (C Bs) for emergecys.

Getting back to this great web site of (Weather Bug) it will give the latest weather up date for any weather that has a (zip code) as we all know some of these remote aeras don't have a (ZC) so you then you just click on a near by town that does have (Zip Code) and it will give you a satelite dopper view of that local aera or that part of the state, Or you can turn to the satelite view of the whole U. S. and the wather for next week is also avaiable It also give the wind chill the "Low's" and "high's" for several days, and what direction the wind is coming from, And at what speed. plus much, much, more, Very valuable tool to all of us who like to travel the back roads. Let us know on the bulletin board what all of think of this great web site that all of us, in the past years would have had in our 4wd's while out exploring.

From the desk of Johnnie & SheilaHistorians
    We thought it was paramount to repost our important information from a couple years ago due to the recent post on "Flash Flooding" warnings.

Johnnie & Sheila

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

And so folks can just click on it, it's www.weatherbug.com OJ

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I have Weather Bug, but I also have weather service on my cell phone

It's come in handy a few times.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

There's also an outfit called "SmarterChild" I add the name SmarterChild to my buddy list on AOL and then can send it an instant message asking for a weather report and forecast for any area in the country. I guess anyone can use it, if you've got a buddy list or instant messaging on your ISP. The program will also play games, look up information and a few other clever things.
    I can't run Weather Bug on my slower than slow dial-up connection, it boots me offline.
    Here's a link to SmarterChild.

Default Weather Links

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA
    There's also an outfit called "SmarterChild" I add the name SmarterChild to my buddy list on AOL and then can send it an instant message asking for a weather report and forecast for any area in the country. I guess anyone can use it, if you've got a buddy list or instant messaging on your ISP. The program will also play games, look up information and a few other clever things.
    I can't run Weather Bug on my slower than slow dial-up connection, it boots me offline.
    Here's a link to SmarterChild.

Thanks for link Laura, and to everyone else for their input.

Johnnie & Sheila

Thumbs up Weather links

Quote Originally Posted by old judge
    And so folks can just click on it, it's www.weatherbug.com OJ
    Thanks O J

Sheila & Johnnie

Thumbs up Weather Links

[quote=GaryB]I have Weather Bug, but I also have weather service on my cell phone

It's come in handy a few times.
    quote]

Thanks! Gary, It is not like the 1950s and 60s when two-way radio or C B was the only way to get stay intouch, with the others about the weather, and road conditions, beyond the next moutain range.

Johnni & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 08-07-2006 at 11:44 AM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

...and sometimes the roads can be very bumpy

Weatherbug stinks...I use:

http://www.wunderground.com

and

http://www.nws.noaa.gov

Both are FREE

Thread Information