Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mina, Nevada

Talking Mina, Nevada

Hello, there. My name is Jon Alchin and I lived in Mina, Nevada from 1976 to 1981. I went to school in Hawthorne. I was just wondering what Mina is like today as it has been 24 years since I have seen it! I now live in Florida but have thought about doing a Nevada exploration tour to see what had changed over the years. When I last saw Mina, my stepfather Patrick Marlett had sold his gold mine on Mount Pilot and Mina had about 350 residents.

Any info would be appreciated!

Jon

Mina went downhill for a while, but seems to be holding its own pretty good now. The town has cleaned itself up a bit, the cafe always has trucks parked outside. The railroad tracks were pulled out years ago and only are in use to and through the ammunitions depot in Hawthorne.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

I posted two photos on this sight in December of last year of Mina.
    http://forums.ghosttowns.com/attachm...attachmentid=2

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/attachm...attachmentid=1
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Cool Mina 9/04

Jon: Here are some pics from September, 2004, the bride and I shot on one of our forays to Reno. Old Judge and his Lovely Bride
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I'm new to Mina,but I love this little town. Most everyone is older. I don't believe we have much over a hundred people. People are moving in. Not much for sale anymore. June 10th was Mina's 100th birthday. I was told that about 400 people attended. Who do you remember from Mina? Maybe I can let you know if their still here.

The population of Mina, Nevada as of 2005 is 276.

Default Mina Neavda

Hi I was reading everyones post on mina nevada, my grandfather
    live there back in the late 50s and died in 1961, my grand father and parents lived out there as well and was wondering if the rockhouse was still there
    my grandfather was known as Pegleg Ford and there was a family named Eddy I think Bob Edding stills lives there...

Default RR depot pulled down 2002?

One thing I noticed last time I was in Mina is that the old Southern Pacific railroad barn was pulled down. Evidently in 2001 or 2002 Southern Pacific (Union Pacific ? - can't keep up with these corporations!) declared the building unsafe and tore it down, leaving a huge pile of wood stacked up by the road. I guess the RR company was afraid of lawsuits in case anyone got hurt in the old building and did not want to stump for insurance. Seems pretty typical to the continuing damage done to America's history and heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry View Post
    live there back in the late 50s and died in 1961, my grand father and parents lived out there as well and was wondering if the rockhouse was still there
    my grandfather was known as Pegleg Ford and there was a family named Eddy I think Bob Edding stills lives there...
    I used to live in mina,nv in the arly 50's.Knew pegleg well ,He was a friend of my step father.(boo. gger red miller).my brothr and I used to go out to his place often.I reme,ber playing in his old truck. Pegleg had a pretty mean old dog that went with him everywhere he went.my brother and I were just about the only ones that could go near the truck whn th dog was in it...Jim helmes(miller)

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry View Post
    Hi Smallfry,
    Welcome. I really enjoyed your albums. Reminded me of my own childhood growing up on my Grandfathers ranch east of Tucson. It must be great to be able to visit Peg Leg's old place & have many old photo's too, (my Grandad's place is now a sub division.) Very few kids today will know an experience like that.

Thanks for taking the time to post those great albums.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thread Information