Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lime, Oregon

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Lime, Oregon

Earlier I made a post inquiring about an abandoned facility in NE Oregon just off of I-84 between Ontario and Baker City. The reply I got stated that this was previously the facilty for Ash Grove Cement which is now located in a newer plant just further up the highway in Durkee.

Lime, Oregon was mentioned; is this the community where the abandoned plant is located?
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Holy crap, funny you guys should mention this place; I was just at that abandoned cement plant a few weeks ago! I got some awesome pictures too! I'll have to send some of those pictures soon!

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Ok, here are two pictures from our recent trip through Lime Oregon. I believe the new cement plant is around Durkee somewhere. I had a hard time convincing my hubby to stop in Lime to look around but he's glad we did; it was sooooo awesome!

Attached Images Attached Images   

And I see I've also been promoted to Public Library Ghost Towner as well. Yea!

Thanks for those pics. So it is located at Lime; I drove past there en route to Seattle two years ago and again last year and had wanted to get photos of it, but didn't do so as I didn't feel like stopping.

The Newer plant is in Durkee on the north side of
    I-84.

I didn't take much notice of any town around the plant so I wasn't aware of Lime. What's the town like?
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

dvsww2 Guest

Smile Lime

As I understand from a friend of mine who lived in Huntington and worked at Lime for many years the town was for the most part up the canyon from the mill. The school still stands as does a couple of houses near the school. The mine site has reverted to Baker County on back taxes and they had an auction and no bidders according to a friend in Baker City. I cannot remember the acreage but in covers both sides of the freeway. There used to be an open pit on both sides and a tramway ran accross the river, Hwy, and train tracks. Our WWII reenactment group tried to get permission from the county to use the site for a Stalingrad type battle, but they were affraid of legal issue and it was too close to the freeway. BTW, before the freeway was built, the section of roadway through Lime was the main highway and was a real bottle neck for traffic. The site is posted No Trespassing and there are some real scarey areas where the mill has fallen in. Also the ladders and catwalks are not safe either, so watch your step.

Quote Originally Posted by dvsww2
    As I understand from a friend of mine who lived in Huntington and worked at Lime for many years the town was for the most part up the canyon from the mill. The school still stands as does a couple of houses near the school.
    So Lime is a ghost town?

dvsww2 Guest

Smile Lime a Ghost town?

Lime is a place that needs some further study and I guess one would need to do some further reseach on it and see if some photos can be located of it's early history. We know that there were enough childern in the area to support a school as the school building is still standing. It was probably a company town for the cement plant which was Oregon Pacific Cement at the time. I'm not sure when the plant was started, but I know she was going strong until they built the new plant south of Durkee. I remember going through the plant in the mid 50's but can't remember the town much more than there is now.

dvsww2 Guest

Smile More on Lime

I did some more surfing and did not come up with much. It looks like it's going to take a trip up there to find out much. I did find a map of the plant holdings in the property for auction section on the Baker County Website and it's extensive and both sides of the freeway. They wanted $500,000 opening bid which they did not get. It is also subject to a DEQ ruling letter. I did run across a 1940's Hwy guide book that listed Lime's population at 18 on Oregon Historical Society webpage. I have a 1923 Oregon Trail Hwy guide book and no mention of Lime other than a railroad viaduct in the approximate area. Of course if there were no public services in a company town, they might have not listed it. I did find out that the railroad was put in in 1884, and nearby Huntington was the a divison point for the O.S.L. and used to have a huge roadhouse and the large switching area is still there.

Default Lime, Oregon

Next time I drive through that way I will take the digital camera with me. The cement plant is north of the freeway. One of the open pits can be seen as you make the turn on I-84 heading north. The road from the pit to the plant is still visible. This is the pit they were using in 73 when I first passed through this area. Later trips in the 70s had us passing under a tube enclosed conveyor system that moved material from the south side of the freeway to the big rock crusher (long steel tube is still there). A fire in the early eighties destroyed the large wooden building in the middle of the complex. If you look up the hillside south of the plant, you can see two wooden structures that are still in place that at one time held the conveyor system in place. The white rock (Calcium carbonate, lime) surrounding this area is what they were crushing to make the dry cement that was then moved by truck or rail to cities along I-84.

The large concrete silos butted up against the railroad tracks. These were used to load up the railcars that were always seen parked between the freeway and the plant.

If memory serves me correctly, most residences up the valley were mobile homes. When the plant started up in its new location, the homes were moved west of the new site.

(Next time through, hop off the freeway at Farewll Bend or Huntington, and pay attention as you climb out of Huntington, headed east. As you climb up the grade, you will notice a single small steel cross about 50 feet off of the roads edge, surrounded by a simple fence. It is the final resting place for a group of settlers headed for the west coast that were attacked a number of times during the last 75 miles of their journey during the days of the Oregon Trail.)

The pit at the new plant is huge, but is hidden from view by the hills behind the plant. One just needs to fly from Boise to Seattle to truly appreciate the size of the pit.

Thread Information