Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lime, Oregon

Unhappy Lime, OR *Shiver*

Hi folks,

Registered today just because I came across this topic. I have been searching about Lime, OR for a while. The story goes as follows... me and my pal were on a cross-country sight-seeing trip and on our way back towards Idaho, we ended up taking the dreaded exit 342 (I-84 East) towards Lime. The sun was just about to set and it was really spooky. We are brave souls, but the first sight of the abandoned cement factory gave us real chills. There was such a sinister feeling about the whole place. Anyways, we drove a little on route 30 and then when we found no sign of life, we decided it was time to head back. So we are heading back and guess what... there isn't an exit ramp to get onto I-84 East. The only way we could go was west. Having driven 5126 miles in 4 days, I was in no mood to backtrack.

I gunned the car in reverse onto the entry ramp and managed to get back on I-84 East. Let's just say those 10 minutes were the worst moments of our week long trip. We simply hated the eerie feeling we got around that place and were glad to get the **** out! The entire episode must not sound like a big deal, but as far as we are concerned this Ghost Town got us real good.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Lime
    Hi folks,

Registered today just because I came across this topic. I have been searching about Lime, OR for a while. The story goes as follows... me and my pal were on a cross-country sight-seeing trip and on our way back towards Idaho, we ended up taking the dreaded exit 342 (I-84 East) towards Lime. The sun was just about to set and it was really spooky. We are brave souls, but the first sight of the abandoned cement factory gave us real chills. There was such a sinister feeling about the whole place. Anyways, we drove a little on route 30 and then when we found no sign of life, we decided it was time to head back. So we are heading back and guess what... there isn't an exit ramp to get onto I-84 East. The only way we could go was west. Having driven 5126 miles in 4 days, I was in no mood to backtrack.

I gunned the car in reverse onto the entry ramp and managed to get back on I-84 East. Let's just say those 10 minutes were the worst moments of our week long trip. We simply hated the eerie feeling we got around that place and were glad to get the **** out! The entire episode must not sound like a big deal, but as far as we are concerned this Ghost Town got us real good.
    Welcome Spooky,

Now this makes me want to see it even more. Myself and some friends are considering a trip to Silver City, Idaho and I suggested a side trip to Lime if we have the time. I'd really like to get some photos of that old plant.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

dvsww2 Guest

Default more on Lime

I ran accross a friend of mine who was raised in nearby Huntington and there was a company town in the early 50's. The business district was south of the mill site near the offices and the town was in two districts north of the mill. The "tough" town with the single workers was between the old highway and the railroad tracks and the more family friendly area was up near the school. He estimated that the population was maybe 150 persons. He was living in Huntington from the late 1940's until the early 60's as his father worked for the railroad. Hope this solves the mystery that there was a town for the workers.

Default Lime, OR Pictures

Hello,
    I stumbled across this forum while searching for a bit of background on Lime. Some friends and I recently stopped of there for a look. I put up some pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlf/sets/345003/ if anyone is interested.

-Michael
    lamanyana [at] gmail

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_town_huntress
    Ok, here are two pictures from our recent trip through Lime Oregon. I believe the new cement plant is around Durkee somewhere. I had a hard time convincing my hubby to stop in Lime to look around but he's glad we did; it was sooooo awesome!

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    here
    Last edited by lamanyana; 06-09-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lamanyana
    Hello,
    I stumbled across this forum while searching for a bit of background on Lime. Some friends and I recently stopped of there for a look. I put up some pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlf/sets/345003/ if anyone is interested.

-Michael
    lamanyana [at] gmail

here
    Lamanyana, those are great pics! thanks for posting those.

I'm going to send those to a friend of mine.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Default worth the visit

We will be heading out to the Wallowas this month, and we will stop to explore Lime on the way. thanks for all those great pics.

Quote Originally Posted by dagnabbit
    We will be heading out to the Wallowas this month, and we will stop to explore Lime on the way. thanks for all those great pics.
    Don't know when I'll be up that way again. I am traveling to Seattle again next week, but am flying on Alaska Airlines rather then driving.

It's a rather imposing sight as you drive past it on the freeway; makes me wish I would have stopped to check it out now.

Tom

Default Memories of Lime, Oregon

This brings back memories! I have lived in Utah most of my life, and as a child, my parents took our family on many trips to Washington State, where most of my extended family lived.

During the road trips we made while I was young--in the late 1970's--I remember driving THROUGH the main cement plant and UNDER a massive cement pipeline that was kept in constant rotation, as it carried wet cement from one side to the other.

Back then, the old highway was the ONLY route through this part of Oregon... the main interstate had not yet been built. I remember that the factory was always operating, and that we would have to stop our car and wait for a time--along with a lengthy line of cars--before we were allowed to travel under and on past the factory.

You see, there was a very large conveyer belt, built between two large buildings of the complex, under which the highway just happened to run. It was quite high above the highway. This conveyer belt carried heavy loads of cement from one large building of the factory to the another, and the highway traffic was stopped for their own safety.

After all, it wouldn't have been a good experience to have a couple of tons of cement drop from the conveyer belt onto the roof of an unfortunate car should it drop off of the moving belt.

Every time we made our Washington trips (during the cement plants final years of operation), I remember that traffic through the Lime complex always slowed to a crawl, and even a standstill; but to my young eyes, it was a fascinating place to drive through... there was so much to see!

The cement factory continued to run as late as the early 1980's at which point the interstate freeway was completed, and we were no longer required to take the old highway through the factory. The cement factory was shut down shortly after that, and has remained vacant ever since. A new cement factory has replaced the old one, leaving it a lonely monument to the past.

Welcome Michael,

When I first saw the plant in July 2002 I thought to myself "wow!". I was en route to Seattle when I drove past it.

I will visit Seattle again next year and if I choose to drive I'll have to stop at Lime and check things out and take some photos.

Tom

Default Two photos I took of the Lime Cement Plant from my car on a road trip in May 2006

Hello Ghostdancer (and others). Thank you for the welcome. I too am fascinated with abandoned places, structures, and cities. Ghosttowns are such an interesting experience. In the United States, such places are relatively rare. I would love to travel to Europe, as the "old world" seems to be filled with such places... a lot more history. Still, you can still find them in the United States if you look. :-)

I am linking two photos I uploaded to my photobucket account. They are just quick drive-by snapshots, but they still capture the general look and feel of the abandoned cement plant.

A very interesting place... if I have more time on my next trip, I'd like to turn off the interstate and take a slow drive down this section of the old highway. I would also love to get out and have a look around while the structure still stands.

Thread Information