Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash Popup Ad Trouble

Default Flash Popup Ad Trouble

Is anyone else having trouble with the flash popups? Because they are flash driven popup blockers don't block them, they are not in their own window so you can't close them via the taskbar or Alt+F4 and they often intermix with other flash banner adds on this site making it impossible to close them. Below is an example. The popup resembles a window, thought it isn't one and its close option is hidden behind the flash banner ad with has positioned itself to the top layer. The only way to close it is to use my back button and then once again go forward and hope it doesn't happen again - which really sucks! I am not complaining about the use of advertisements, as I know the site has to pay for itself one way or another, and I know that the GT folks have no control over the type of ads, but perhaps they can forgo the ads on the forum?

~Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Unhappy I agree Dan

I consider them a necessary evil but like you when I have to use BACK and repeat because I can't get rid of them I too get a bit (more than a bit) annoyed. The flash ad people should be wary of this as well as when it happens, I harbor a long grudge toward the offending flash ad in question. If nothing else, maybe the GT.com admin type could relay our misgivings to the flash advertisers.
    Yet Another Bob

No pop-ups here,,,blocked by zone alarm.
    Brad

dvsww2 Guest

Thumbs down Pop-ups need to go

I agree with you guys... I have pop up blocker with my ISP and it doesn't stop all of them. It is blocking maybe 5 or 6 in just getting signed in. Tell your advertizers one thing. I WILL NEVER BUY THEIR PRODUCT if they use a pop-up. NEVER. I find myself visiting ghost towns less and less because of the pop-ups.

I run Mozilla Firefox it blocks all pop-ups

Do you boycott TV shows because they interrupt your viewing with ads? Pop-ups are much less intrusive or time wasting than a TV ad so why such negativity? Is it really that big of a deal?

Those ads you refer to are called layer ads, not pops. That is why your pop-up blockers do not stop them. Personally I have never seen one on this site - does look annoying though.

I appreciate having free resources like this and some minor annoyances by ads do not bother me very much.

Thumbs down I agree to a point

I agree to a point that pop-ups are like commercials on the Tellie, a necessary evil but when I have to use back or clicking the the little "X" on the popup kills the whole screen I draw the line. I'm like an old elephant, I don't forget and ITT for instance will never get my business or respect!
    Yet Another Bob

Unhappy

I totally agree!!!!

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I run Nortorn AntiSpam and a little program called "cookie wall". I never have pop-ups or any trouble with any spam or ad ware issue. The pop-ups work off of info on your pc and are rarely connected to the sight you are lookoing at. I also run Ad-aware, Spy-Bot, Hijack-This and CWS-Shredder and all come back negative.

You can get some of these programs for free from:

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?b=1

Click on "spyware info" at the top, then "programs" on the right. The rest is easy to figure out.

And I pay to use the internet, I don't pay to watch the tv. I don't like paying for commercials.
    Last edited by GaryB; 12-19-2004 at 11:26 AM.

In regards to the comparison between pop-ups and tv ads - when I watch tv I know there will be certain times that are allotted for commercials. The ads aren't going to pop-up in the middle of my viewing time. Personally, I have many protections on my computer, and don't have a problem with pop-ads, but I have in the past, and do know what a pain in the butt they are. If you running your computer on a phone line they are even more annoying than on DSL or cable like I have, and slow things down even more.

I understand the need for ads on the ghosttown.com site, but I do wish they didn't have to have them on the forum! Or at least could restrict the ads to banners only.

I also can't resist saying - in my neighborhood I would have no tv reception without cable, or sattelite, so I do pay for tv, and I still get commercials.
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

Thread Information