Thread: How did "Good Springs,Nevada get its name

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile How did "Good Springs,Nevada get its name

This little old mining town just west of of interstate 15 that you pass on your way too and from Las Vegas, Nevada has had a lot of "up and downs" in its early history. O. J. you might like this one.

For some of you fellow ghosttowners that have seen my 8mm film of Good Springs filmed in the mid 1960s there was still some buildings left including the old wooden hotel and a few residents, but now we are not sure what is still left, because we have not taking the time to take that side road off the interstate to check it out for many years

In our arichives of old west history we found a book written in 1909 by Walter Mendenhall for travelers that that followed not roads but trails that took the miners and explorers from one spring and water hole to the next and Good Springs was one of the main springs noted on the main trail and then later dirt road through southern Nevada.

Before the highway just sandy ruts know as the Arrowhead Trail, but often referred to as the Silver Lake cut-off, linked the towns of Las Vegas,Nevada and Barstow, California Via Good Springs, and also in this book that Mr. Mendenhall wrote that "Good Springs was about six miles west of Jean station, Where there was a lot of large mining opperations in progress nearby, and a settlement has grown up around them. "The supply of water very large and its Quality is indicated by the name,"

The water at Good Springs undoubtedly was of excellent quality, but contrary to the general accepted belief, from the superiority of the water. the name was derived from an old prospector named Mr. Good, and this story came from an old resident in the local area named O. J. Fisk that came to Good Spings in 1892, when there was just little more than a watering trough over by the old hotel Mr.Fisk was the operater of the Yellow Pine and Boss mines, both of which were large producers.

From 1908 to 1916 O. J. FIsk was Justice of the Peace, Many years later when he was interviewed by a local newspaer reporter for an artical he told the reporter that Good Springs, was a typical old western mining town with all the attending diversions, and when ask to cite some of the court cases that came up before his court.

"Well," he answered with a laugh, "you will hardly believe this, but my most serious case involved a fellow who was arrested for wife beating. Then, to top it off, they went back together as soon as he was released."

Another old timer of Good Springs was Otto Schwartz who came to this old mining town in 1912 and said to the the same newspaper reporter that he had seen the town pass through 15 or more different boom periods and at its prosperity Later Good Springs,even had its own newspaper "The Good Spring Gazett, and had as many as seven saloons.

In the early days holidays celbrations were so extensive most of the residents of Las Vegas, would journey to Good Springs, just for all the fun that this little mining town was known to have At one time the town even had a Federal building in which the post office was housed.

When its "Good Springs" water supply was obtained from the surface springs and artesian wells, the water was plentifull for the community and no one worried, But when the water dropped 18ft the community had to install a water pump and wind mills to get the water to the surface.

When mining operations were at their height, a lot of lead, zinc, and platinum, were produced in the local mines along with other rich ores but as time went on many mines soon got tapp out, But old residents still had a lot optimism hoping that the town would boom again someday.

Though the years they even tried growing Cotton just north of the city and then they tried mining picture flagstone, and this gave it a little boost for a while. In time in turn into a ghost town, and now the residents tried catering to the tourist. The latest update on this very interesting old mining town in southern Nevada is unknown because we have not been there for such a long time, So we are going to leave that to our fellow Nevada, ghosttowner,Another Bob, or who ever else want's to contribute any new information on this old west mining town of Souther Nevada.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    old west researchers & historians
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 09-21-2006 at 06:11 AM.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Wonder if it was ever Good's Spring

Johnnie, That's a great story. I was just in Southern Nevada in September, but not that far south. Looks to me from the 1997 pictures on the home site that Goodsprings is making some recovery. According to info at www.city-data.com (just click on that buddy) there are 200+ residents and some goings-on. Looks like a good side trip for folks in the Las Vegas area. And who would have guessed that's how the town got its name. OJ
    Last edited by old judge; 11-15-2004 at 08:26 AM. Reason: cause it needed it

Wink "Just have to take time to preview my posting"

Our apology on my on not previewing my posting and correcting my mistakes, but we got most of it down right.

Your fellow ghosttowner
    Johnnie & Sheila

Smile John Good

That is an easy one, Johnnie. There was a miner in the area from the 1860's named John Good. He first shows up on a special census working in Eldorado when we were still part of the Arizona Territory. He along with people like Johnnie Moss also prospected the area around Potosi. There were several springs located where the town of town of Goodsprings is situated and John Good established a camp to supplement his prospecting where he ran a few cattle and such. The location came to be known as Good's Springs and over time was shortened to Goodsprings. By the 1880s, several peoples were living there and the town with the truncated name "Goodsprings" starts to show up on maps. Goodsprings really thrived at and just after the turn of the century and the had fine Hotel (Fayle Hotel) and several saloons and hurdy-gurdy houses. For a time it rivaled Las Vegas and Searchlight as "the" town in southern Lincoln County. The coming of the railroad allowed for a narrow gauge line from Goodsprings Junction through Goodsprings to the mines in the hills above town. An aside, Jean Fayle, wife of the proprietor of the Fayle Hotel served as postmistress for the fledgling community first called Goodsprings Junction that developed where the narrow gauge “Yellow Pine” line met the Salt Lake Line. The name was soon changed from Goodsprings Junction to honor their Postmistress, Jean. I have all the dates and facts if anyone is interested.
    Yet Another Bob

Default The Blue Goose

There a lot of stories about Goodsprings. Some fine historic archeology has been done in that area including an entertaining work entitled “looking for the Blue Goose”. The Blue Goose and the Passing Show were two of the higher class Hurdy-Gurdy Houses (brothels with entertainment). As in most communities with wives, schools, and churches, the more adult locations (not saloons) were separated by a little distance from the polite community. In Goodsprings that was around the lower hill to the northeast of town (Near where the current mining bypass haul road reconnects with the gravel road to Cottonwood Summit). The houses were separated from the town by among other things a large sand wash. Seems that a fourth of July Celebration was scheduled in the afternoon in Goodsprings proper while other more adult festivities has been planned for the morning. Unfortunately, there was a large cloudburst that day and passage across the wash was not possible for several hours. Wives and kids were waiting on the polite (south) side of the wash while politicians, husbands, and courtesans stood on the other. I bet we all know where O. J. Fisk was And I bet the Fayles were also looking across the wash at each other. Note: I say I bet because while the incident was written up, no politicans or husbands were actually named in any of the accounts.
    Last edited by Bob; 11-15-2004 at 09:05 AM.
    Yet Another Bob

Default "Thanks for all the history on "Good Springs"

All these old mining towns of the old west are just chuck full interesting stories, Thanks Bob for the great history lessons over the years on many old mining towns in his great state of Nevada We also want to put plug in for a fellow old west researcher Ann Seagraves, and all her great books on the old west,especialy her topic on aughter

Default "Thanks for all the history on "Good Springs"

All these old mining towns of the old west are just chuck full interesting stories, Thanks Bob for the great history lessons over the years on many old mining towns in his great state of Nevada We also want to put plug in for a fellow old west researcher Ann Seagraves, and all her great books on the old west,especialy her lastest book, "Daughters of west"
    Last edited by Johnnie; 01-29-2005 at 03:42 AM.

Smile My apology on my posting

We have have a small "Lap-so-appso" I am not even sure we are spelling the name right but anyway thanks to the cute little pup that was sitting in my lap put her paw on to the keyboard and did not let me finish my posting so this is the only way we knew how to correct it, is to repost.

Anyway as I was saying Ann Seagraves wrote a lot of book on the old west and one of our favorite is "Daughters of the West" we have to thank many other authors who have pass on a lot articals and books on the the towns peope and their experieces living in these old ming towns.

Your fellow ghosttowner
    Johnnie & sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 09-20-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Thumbs up Good Springs Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    This little old mining town just west of of interstate 15 that you pass on your way too and from Las Vegas, Nevada has had a lot of "up and downs" in its early history. O. J. you might like this one.

For some of you fellow ghosttowners that have seen my 8mm film of Good Springs filmed in the mid 1960s there was still some buildings left including the old wooden holtel and a few residents, but now we are not sure what is still left, because we have not taking the time to take that side road off the interstate to check it out for many years

In our arichives of old west history we found a book written in 1909 by Walter Mendenhall for travelers that that followed not roads but trails that took the miners and explorers from one spring and water hole to the next and Good Springs was one of the main springs noted on the main trail and then later dirt road through southern Nevada.

Before the highway just sandy ruts know as the Arrowhead Trail, but often referred to as the Silver Lake cut-off, linked the towns of Las Vegas,Nevada and Barstow, California Via Good Springs, and also in this book that Mr. Mendenhall wrote that "Good Springs was about six miles west of Jean station, Where there was a lot of large mining opperations in progress nearby, and a settlement has grown up around them. "The supply of water very large and its Quality is indicated by the name,"

The water at Good Springs undoubtedly was of excellent quality, but contrary to the general accepted belief, from the superiority of the water. the name was derived from an old prospector named Mr. Good, and this story came from an old resident in the local area named O. J. Fisk that came to Good Spings in 1892, when there was just little more than a watering trough over by the old hotel Mr.Fisk was the operater of the Yellow Pine and Boss mines, both of which were large producers.

From 1908 to 1916 O. J. FIsk was Justice of the Peace, Many years later when he was interviewed by a local newspaer reporter for an artical he told the reporter that Good Springs, was a typical old western mining town with all the attending diversions, and when ask to cite some of the court cases that came up before his court.

"Well," he answered with a laugh, "you will hardly believe this, but my most serious case involved a fellow who was arrested for wife beating. Then, to top it off, they went back together as soon as he was released."

Another old timer of Good Springs was Otto Schwartz who came to this old mining town in 1912 and said to the the same newspaper reporter that he had seen the town pass through 15 or more different boom periods and at its prosperity Later Good Springs,even had its own newspaper "The Good Spring Gazett, and had as many as seven saloons.

In the early days holidays celbrations were so extensive most of the residents of Las Vegas, would journey to Good Springs, just for all the fun that this little mining town was known to have At one time the town even had a Federal building in which the post office was housed.

When its "Good Springs" water supply was obtained from the surface springs and artesian wells, the water was plentifull for the community and no one worried, But when the water dropped 18ft the community had to install a water pump and wind mills to get the water to the surface.

When mining operations were at their height, a lot of lead, zinc, and platinum, were produced in the local mines along with other rich ores but as time went on many mines soon got tapp out, But old residents still had a lot optimism hoping that the town would boom again someday.

Though the years they even tried growing Cotton just north of the city and then they tried mining picture flagstone, and this gave it a little boost for a while. In time in turn into a ghost town, and now the residents tried catering to the tourist. The latest update on this very interesting old mining town in southern Nevada is unknown because we have not been there for such a long time, So we are going to leave that to our fellow Nevada, ghosttowner,Another Bob, or who ever else want's to contribute any new information on this old west mining town of Souther Nevada.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    old west researchers & historians
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Just reposting our story from a few years ago on Good Springs Nevada, Because there has been some recent inquires from of our fellow ghosttowner about ghost towns to visit in and around Las Vegas area.

We know that the town has change a lot since we have been to Good Springs, according to a Documentry, we seen on one of the cable channels not to long ago.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
    Jphhnioe & Sheila

Just doing a little bumping..........

Thread Information