Thread: Abandoned Resort In The Desert

Default Abandoned Resort In The Desert

i seen a show on the travel channel.They talked about a city that used to catter to the rich and movie stars. back in the 40's and 50's it was a resort pretty large it was by a lake out in the desert it was suppose to be like a palms springs resort but i forgot whyt it was abandoned has anybody heard of this place.i am trying to find the location.THANK YOU.

I've seen a similar show. It was the Salton Sea. Not sure what remains but the area is now a great spot to check out wildlife.

Question More Information Please

Interesting discussion. I obviously incorrectly assumed you were talking about the failed Zzyzx Health Spa located at Soda Springs on the west edge of Soda Dry Lake. That was an early Military outpost (1860's) and stop on the Mojave Road as well as a water stop and station on the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad. Soda Springs (Zzyzx) is now used as a Desert Studies Center by California State University System. Hopefully others will chime in with some information on a Salton Sea Resort
    Yet Another Bob

I remember the show did focus on the Salton Sea and one man's vision for development, but I don't remember the details. Your thought on Soda Springs may be on the money too.

I did manage to find this just now:

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/salton/PeriscopeSaltonSea.html

Chapter 9 has the most relevance to this topic:

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/salton/Peris....html#Chapter9

Can't believe I grew up relatively close to here (Needles) yet never took the time to visit.
    Last edited by bcm79; 12-17-2004 at 12:49 PM.

The Salton Sea area is like one big ghost town. There's a huge boarded-up hotel, several abandoned buildings, and an abandoned yacht club on the water. It's great for looking, but if you don't keep your distance, the locals might not take kindly to your presence--as I can attest to. Still, I came away with some great pics. Oh, and load up on air freshener--the place reeks of dead fish.

Quote Originally Posted by alex66
    The Salton Sea area is like one big ghost town. There's a huge boarded-up hotel, several abandoned buildings, and an abandoned yacht club on the water. It's great for looking, but if you don't keep your distance, the locals might not take kindly to your presence--as I can attest to. Still, I came away with some great pics. Oh, and load up on air freshener--the place reeks of dead fish.
    Can you post a link to those photos or post them up?

Default Salton Sea is an awesome place for urban archaelogists!

If any of you are ever anywhere near the area, it's a must see. There is so much around to see. The lake is HUGE, so plan on spending a whole day or more to explore. There's Bombay Beach, which flooded in the '70 and remains so today with rusting vehicles and deteriorating buildings. Also, which you all were discussing is the Salton Sea Yacht Club which is easily accesible, although one of the other writers is correct that some of the locals dont like us around. Also nearby is Salvation Mtn. a colorful folk art testament to God painted on the side of a mountain. Dont miss it, and spend some time chatting up Leonard, the old feller responsible for the Mtn.
    I have tons of pics around Salton Sea as I visit often. Maybe I'll put together a album for you all to check out. Let me know if youre interested in seeing them. j.endris@yahoo.com

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I have some sites with pics saved on one of my old discs, I'll see if any are still active and post them.

Thread Information