Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver City Idaho Might Have Neighboring Unheard of ghost towns

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Silver City Idaho Might Have Neighboring Unheard of ghost towns

Could the famouse Silver City, Idaho have some unheard of, lost neighbors? When my wife and I were looking at the postings and all the people that plan to visit Silver City, might check out these towns, we found on our old maps dated 1895 in our archives, Just north of Silver City, there was a town named Sinker on Sinker Creek, which we wondered for a moment, how did this town get its name? And by the way we cound not find it listed anywhere else, and then there was a town by the name Oreana, S/E of Silver City.

The towns of Murphy, and Reynolds, were listed but many miles north but still old historical town apparently, And then on these old maps we (did not) find the ones listed on (our) ghost town web-site, So most likely sprouted up after the turn of the century, Some of these towns that showed up years later, were Ruby City, Fairview, Wagontown, and some others.

And then there was a community by the name of Dairy south west of Silver City, and that site was probably a diary town, and there was a town site N/W of the famouse the Silver boom town on this old map up by cow lake by the name Rockview.

Well you adventures that plan a trip to Silver City area might do some more research and might be lucky enough to find a unheard of old mining sites let the rest of us know if any you guys find any new ghost towns.

Happy ghost town hunting
    Your fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 09-17-2009 at 06:51 AM.

dvsww2 Guest

Default Sounds like an interesting map

Johnnie, sounds like an interesting map you have. Murphy is now the Owyhee County seat and the old part of town is somewhat interesting. It was as far as Col. Dewey's planned railroad to Silver City. There is a cemetary and school house at Reynolds. It's been a lot of years since I've been there, but used to go with some family friends each memorial day to tend the graves of their relatives. There is also a cemetary at Fairview and probably by this time only the foundation of the mill. Ruby City and Wagontown are gone. Oreana is still there with quite a few ranches still operating. The store was closed and for sale and farther up the road is the old school, now community hall and the Gem is the Catholic Church in a really neat stone building that was once a saloon and general store. Oreana was the ranching/farming area that provided food for the miners. We know that David Shirk and his men drove a heard of cattle from Texas to Oreana and the cattle were sold on the hoof to the butcher in Silver City at a good price. There is a narrative, the Cattle Drives of David Shirk written about the drives but the book is very rare. I read it long ago and about had to sign with blood to borrow a copy on inter-library loan. Would be intersesting to see the map.

The only one of these towns I'd ever heard of (besides, of course, Silver City and Murphy) is Ruby City, because the historic Idaho Hotel that is now in Silver City was originally built in Ruby City.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Smile Silver City Idaho

Thanks to all of you fellow ghosttowners, And for their Input and up to date information, We are sure that this will help our fellow ghosttowner who play a trip into the area. Just maybe there is still some foundations or cabins still intact.

When we learn how to post pictures will will post a copy of this old map for the rest of you adventures, But we have an even an older maps, of all the western states. As I remember they were all dated 1880s and shows all the old stage stops, and the route they took through the area, A great tool for the old stage robbers of the old west, Do you think they may have had one of these's maps folded up in their vest pocket? We wouldn't be supprised.

Your fellow ghosttowner
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 11-30-2004 at 05:41 AM.

Don't know if this fits what you're looking for, but no one mentioned Delamar, which is west of Silver City on the road in from Jordan Valley, Oregon. A number of cabins, some still looked to be periodically occupied. My friend and author Alan Patera told me that Capt. DeLamar was involved in this town. Same man who DeLamar, Nevada was named after, and who also was involved in the early days of the Keane Wonder Mine in Death Valley.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

dvsww2 Guest

Smile Delamar

I've mentioned before but not in this string about Delamar. the mill is pretty much in ruin. On the cabins some are standing and in most cases are in pretty tough shape. About 10 years ago two sons of a friend were working at the new mine on the backside of Delamar and they lived in one of the cabins. The snow would literally blow Through the cracks in the walls and they ended up wrapping the cabin in black plastic to try to keep the snow out. They finally froze out and moved to Jordan Valley. Reading Johnnie's post I dug out my copy of "Owyhee Trails" by Mike Hanley, Caxton Printers, 1973 and there are several good chapters on Silver City and area and lots of neat photos. Hanley is an excellant historian and old time rancher in the area and his book has a lot of good info on cattle and sheep ranching in the area. some good maps also.

Smile New info on Silver City

Thanks! "dvsww 2" and David Wright, for the new information and list of books, on that part of Idaho a very interesting area to visit, and explore. We are always interested in that whole area because many parts of N/E Oregon, S/W Idaho, and Nothern Utah, were all the areas that that the famouse "Wild Bunch" roamed, and made the headlines of the Newspapers of the day, We are always looking for new information on this area of the old west and our favorite "outlaws" the "Butch Cassidy Gang" we know they had a friend by the named Matt Waner, that had a ranch in Baker, Oregon and they used it as a home base for their robberies. and we are sure the "Wild Bunch" visited Silver City, and some of these other nearby towns that we have been writing about on the Bullintin Board.

Thanks again
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 12-09-2004 at 03:15 AM.

Default Sinker

Long time since the last post, but thought I'd comment on Sinker near Silver City. Yes, it's on old maps, but it's not really a town. Sinker was a Post Office (probably a box on a table on the back porch) on the Crocheron Ranch on Sinker Creek near Murphy, Idaho. It was about 15 miles from Silver City. The ranch house was washed out by a flood cause by the failure of a dam on Sinker Creek in the 1940s. The post office served the surrounding area for about 15 yrs, but was never a real town. It was not far from where Highway 78 now crosses Sinker Creek. Sinker Creek was so named, I think, because the water would sink into the porous creek bed and disappear, except for times of major runoff. There was also a story that gold nuggets were so plentiful in the creek bottom that folks would use them for fishing sinkers! Yeah....right! All for what it's worth . . . . . . .
    Last edited by docsma; 12-24-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Default Silver City Idaho Trip

Hello, our family is planning on going to Silver City over Memorial Weekend 2007. We heard that the town has some kind of celebration then, so we thought it would be a great time to go. We had three male ancestors come to Silver City in the 1800's as stock raisers for the miners. They are listed in the 1880 census as living on Catherine Creek. They also brought their wives and two of their children are buried in the cemetery. They did return to the east after being in Silver City for several years.
    Their names were Hyrum (Hiram) Pixley, Harvey Pixley and George Thompson. We are trying to find out where they lived, if there is a list of people buried in the cemetery and where would be the best places to find out this information;basically any information or ideas where to look would greatly help us ? I heard there are actually several cemeteries around Silver City.
    Any help we could get would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you...Bentz Family

forget it!
    Last edited by gmman; 04-19-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Thread Information