Thread: Ghost Towns near Los Angeles?

Default Ghost Towns near Los Angeles?

I am looking for a ghost town close to Los Angeles with a playground or a slide. Or just any creepy old playground will do. Thanks

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wink ghostly

There's a place just off Sunset Strip., near the intersections of Lankershim (sp) or Laurel Canyon, or maybe Sepulveda, with slides, or maybe a teeter totter, or maybe a merry go round, where there are some serious hauntings. I know there are some guys who can tell you where it is. I haven't been there for many years, but I can tell you, when me and four other guys went there in l964, it was awesome and scary. I recommend it to all you ghosthunters in LA. OJ P.S. By the way, there's an old family cemetary, very grown up, on the SW, or maybe SE corner, and a Biker Bar just down the street. Don't go alone. Oh, and there's an old abandoned movie studio just north of there. I recall the first pizza place in LA was within a block. I know someone knows where I'm talking about. A couple of old movie stars lived nearby. Let me know what you find. I wouldn't go back if you paid me a million dollars.
    Last edited by old judge; 12-01-2004 at 06:24 PM.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wink ghostly

Prez: Now that I,ve thought about it, maybe it was Coldwater Canyon. Anyway, I heard about this place from Johnnie and Ghosttown Bob and they may remember where it was. Met those guys at a seance up at Gravity Hill in the Valley. That was in Johnnie's BS (before Sheila) days, when he still had hair and rode a hopped up moped. Ghosttown Bob was a lot younger but well informed about GT's and such. Anyway, there we were on Gravity Hill and got in a confrontation with a bunch of guys in white hoods. It was tense. Anyway, after we thwarted the attack, we got to talking about other places to explore. That's when Bob got out an old pirate's map and a l960 plastic freeway overlay and showed me this place. He said he wouldn't go though if he were I. Anyway, it's still there I hear and I know some guys who know where it is if they'll talk. Now that I think about it, I think it was a tilt-a-whirl, or maybe a jungle gym. And there was a burning cross. OJ

Default Where are you guys?

I figured a bunch of you LA ghost hunters would have stepped up to help President Wilson by now. If I have to rack my brain anymore about what happened 40 years ago I don't know what I'll do. I do recall definitely that it might have been a teeter-totter, and there was a guy in black clothes sitting on a Hillman just outside the seventh gate. OJ

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Lightbulb Fading memory

Just like our fading ghost towns, my memory is fading also O J. It was most likely in the 1950s when we were in those movie productions that wern't doing that good, and we were trying to come up with new ideas for that T. V, series were doing for "Twilight" Zone and Draggnet as I remember

J & S

Question la

Yeah, but what's Ghost Town Bob's excuse. OJ

Quote Originally Posted by President Wilson
    I am looking for a ghost town close to Los Angeles with a playground or a slide. Or just any creepy old playground will do. Thanks
    Head north a bit on the 14 and exit heading towards Elizabeth Lake and the site of the old Munz Lakes Resort, or as some call it Munz Ranch. Assuming that it is still standing after the last big fire in the area, you will find some old wooden buildings with an empty swimming pool and old style diving board. While not a playground per say, the lone diving board is creepy, especially in winter when none of the trees have any foliage. My $0.02...

i live in the antelope vsalley and i have not been able to find this place can someone be more specific please?

Default sfbearman munz

Well, I've read the postings. And, guess what? As a grandchild of Eli Munz, aka Alan, son of Lester Damann and Phyllis Munz, you've got yor info incorrectly. Pictures I've seen of the High dive and shack are really of the the resort behind Lake Elizabeth, which is a mile or so east of Munz Lake (and also a former cattle ranch). Munz Lake, later known as Manzanita Lakes Park, was sold to a youth hostile, which takes care of kids that needs help. Munz Lake, which bytw, is still the name of the lake, is between Elizabeth Lake and Lake Hughes. Munz Lake is a five 1/5 acre lake, with five islands. Beautiful. Never dry, often Lake Elizabeth and Lake Hughes would dry down, depending on the wetathr. Then there was the Manzanita Room, a a wonderful dining room and coctail lunge. Not to mention the Terrace. Did you know that there was three dance floors at the resort. Juke Bokes played the Breatles. The Westside Hardware Store had their company picnic at the resort, attracting 400 people, a croud for the times. I remember cleaning the pool, brushing down the collection of dirt every month, from swimmers. I, believe it or not, ran the Gift N Gadgets Gift shop, rented oars for the row boats, and fishing poles. Remember penny candy, a hershey bar cost only ten cents, snickers ten cents. Bear 95 cents a bottle. Those were the days. Even had a rocking horse. Not to mention, movies on Saturday nights in the movie arena. Munz Lakes Resort is gone not, but the menory continues. I hope someone reads this that camped there.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Never camped there, but I sure did love sittin' around drinkin' bears an' listenin' to the Breatles! Those was the grood ol' times.

brb

Thread Information