Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardin City, Nevada and its lost silver mine

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Hardin City, Nevada and its lost silver mine

Hardin City, Nevada is not listed as a ghost town on our ghost town list, But was listed on one of my old maps. So this started our research on this old ghost town site of the 1800s for the rest of you guys.

Now here is just a little bit of information about this old ghost town site it was located on North /Eastern edge of the "Black Rock Desert" and on the western side of the Black Rock Mountain Range, in Northern part of Washoe County. and just east of the old Lassen-Appllegate Emigrant Trail, running North to South to Rabbit Hole Springs on the Wester Pacfic R/R that runs N/E towards Utah

Now in this area many Native American artifacts have been found close to this trail by the University students over the years and when they were out exploreing they also found a star shaped formation a short distance from the trail made of various colored rock, it appeared to be very old . Searching futher, they found two additional ones farther up the trail.

They assumed that these pile of rocks were some kind of landmard mark and made up, for all the travelers on their way from Pyramid lake and to Summit Lake. But several miles south they found great amounts of varicolored obsidian, black and white, and red, and many shades of brown, and literally thousands of chipped and broken arrowheads. The Professor stated to the students that this was most likely used as a arrowhead and spear head factory by the Navtive Americans, This was also mentioned in J. Goldsboro Bruff Journials on his trip through the aera in 1849.

Now off in the distance they noticed a few more formation of rocks. The only relationship they could find to anything was that the larger one pointed towards Fremonts's Castle, a huge, white rock formation on the slopes of a real dark brownish hill which resembles a castle. Freemont and his party traveled this route in the winter of 1844 and Bruff named this rock formation the "Castle" in his honor, and also made a drawing of the rock formation in his journals. Could there be something more to this rock formation? Who knows for sure.

Now that we gave you the approximate location it is up to you addventures to try to locate this old ghost town site. The miners that built Hardin City built on speculation alone, and the miners even built two mills now on this old map it did show some buildings still remained in 1930 but what is left now we can only speculate. only our Nevada ghost town expert "Another Bob" has an answer.

As it turned out the Silver mine was was a big Hoax and the town was soon abandoned so this old ghost town was not occupied very long and there may not be much left now, But still as very interesting place to explore because of all the famouse explorers, that pass through the same desert Valley on the Lassen, Applegate Trail.

Your fellow ghosttowner and researchers
    Johnnie and Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 03-11-2005 at 07:03 AM.

Talk about coincidence . . . Yesterday, while doing some more Nevada historical post office research, I hit upon the Hardin City or Harleyville P.O.

According to the info I found, the Hardin (Harden) City P.O. was in operation from Jul to Oct 1866. From Oct 1866 to Aug 1867 it was known as the Harleyville P.O.

The site is about 40 miles NNE of Gerlach and actually lies in the SW corner of Humboldt County.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has been there.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Smile New Information from Rockcrusher on Hardin City, Nevada

Thanks Rockcrusher, for the new Information on Hardin City, We to are interested in old Post offices, in these old mining towns and their history and how long they kept their door's opened. Is there a book in print that tells about all the history of Post Offices, and how long they existed ? Let us know and will pick up a copy. We want to thank also "Yet another Bob" and his imput, You guys must have allot more at your disposal then we ever hope to have.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie and Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie
    Thanks Rockcrusher, for the new Information on Hardin City, We to are interested in old Post offices, in these old mining towns and their history and how long they kept their door's opened. Is there a book in print that tells about all the history of Post Offices, and how long they existed ? Let us know and will pick up a copy. We want to thank also "Yet another Bob" and his imput, You guys must have allot more at your disposal then we ever hope to have.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie and Sheila
    I compiled a list of historical post offices from the USGS GNIS website . . .

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/we...web_query_form

I used wild card searches for each county in Nevada and came up with nearly 500 sites statewide. I'm in the process of weeding out any P.O. established later than 1940 and I still expect to end up with more than 400 sites.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

I made a boo-boo . . . Hardin City was also called Harveyville, not Harleyville. Sorry about that!
    Rockcrusher

Default Harden Springs, Hardin City and Murder Rock

Harden Spring starts showing up on map before Hardin City. The location on these old “Not to exact scale maps puts the Springs just north of Murder Rock, where Lassen and Clapper were ambushed. A pioneer (I believe spelling his name Hardin) thought he had discovered silver in a wash near those springs (Spelled Harden on maps) earlier when he was traveling the Lassen-Applegate trail. After Virginia City became the huge success,, Hardin returned but was unable to located the wash. Rumor and speculation being what is was, a sort of mini rush began and two mills were brought up from the Virginia City area and Hardin City came into existence. The initial excitement was spurred by the recovery of silver when one of the mills was first operated in its new location. Subsequent investigations suggest the silver was residue left over from the mills operation in Virginia City and not from the ores found near Hardin City. Suffice to say that Hardin City’s existence was brief, chronicled by the dates of operation of the Post Office, There used to be nifty red brick ruins (foundations) and lots of real evidence but over the last 40 years this has been carted off (vandalized) and little remains. An interesting time in early Nevada, a trip to Hardin City requires a side trip to Murder Rock.
    Last edited by Bob; 12-12-2004 at 09:01 AM.
    Yet Another Bob

Thumbs up New update on Hardin City

Thanks Rockcrusher,for the great information on Post Offices, that will come in handy when we are researching some of our post card collection, And we want to thank Bob for his update on the great detailed information on the history of Hardin City, Sometimes when we post these stories they are from my dad's collections of old west stories from the 1930s when he was a researcher for National Geographic, and then later on when he was a Freelance writer. In those days he did not have the resorsourses that all of us have today.

Your fellow ghostowners
    Johnnie & Sheila

Unhappy

I just returned from Hardin City on Mar 9 2005. I went there because Double hot springs are 5 miles to the south and I stoped in for a two day camp/soak/ghosttown trip. Hardin city is VERY hard to reach this time of the year and if I knew what a trek it was going to be I probably would have gone somewhere else. The old town site is in a sandy seasonal marsh and there is basicly nothing left. All I was able to find was a couple of chunks of rusted metal, one three foot section of foundation, and a sign that read "Hardin city". Thats it. Dont go, I had to drive allmost 70 miles of dirt road 20 of witch was in VERY POOR shape. If you must go wait until June when the Black Rock is not flooded and you can cut 45 miles off the trip. While I was in the area I also stoped in the old sliver/lead mining town of Leadville, this place was also a total bust with only one small building left and a bunch of trash.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rakkassan Raider
    I just returned from Hardin City on Mar 9 2005. I went there because Double hot springs are 5 miles to the south and I stoped in for a two day camp/soak/ghosttown trip. Hardin city is VERY hard to reach this time of the year and if I knew what a trek it was going to be I probably would have gone somewhere else. The old town site is in a sandy seasonal marsh and there is basicly nothing left. All I was able to find was a couple of chunks of rusted metal, one three foot section of foundation, and a sign that read "Hardin city". Thats it. Dont go, I had to drive allmost 70 miles of dirt road 20 of witch was in VERY POOR shape. If you must go wait until June when the Black Rock is not flooded and you can cut 45 miles off the trip. While I was in the area I also stoped in the old sliver/lead mining town of Leadville, this place was also a total bust with only one small building left and a bunch of trash.
    Thanks for the update on Hardin City, Now we know why there is not much known about this very historical place. I guess because as you said there is nothing left, and it is located in such a remote area of Nevada.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 03-11-2005 at 07:15 AM.

I've been to Hardin City...last summer in fact. Just a couple of rock foundations and a marsh. It was very hot in the middle of July when I was there. We could only bare to stay there 20 minutes and then had to head out. Prob not worth checking out.

Thread Information