Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the deepest Abandoned Mine?

Default What is the deepest Abandoned Mine?

I'm doing a little history, and am trying to find the deepest abandoned mine in the western United States. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Famous newspaperman Jim Townsend told this story back in the old days: http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/jan04.html
    If it's still around, it could possibly be the deepest mine that ever existed.
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

I don't know if its the deepest in the western U.S. but the Combination Mine in Virginia City went to a recorded deph of 3,260 feet.

Today, the deepest mines in the world are in South Africa. At least one of them is over 11,500 feet deep
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Quote Originally Posted by n430uh
    I'm doing a little history, and am trying to find the deepest abandoned mine in the western United States. Anyone have any ideas?
    I will give you a clue. It is in Northern California and reached a depth of 5912 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrusher
    Today, the deepest mines in the world are in South Africa. At least one of them is over 11,500 feet deep
    It all depends on who you ask, as the mines are still active and ever deepening. The East Rand Mine in Johannesburg, South Africa is said to be 11761.811 feet deep while the Western Deep Level Mine, also in Johannesburg, is claiming that it has reached a depth of 12795.27 feet. Now, the deepest single drop shaft is currently the South Deep gold mine in Westonaria, Gauteng Province, South Africa. It has a single drop of 9814.46 feet! as an interesting side note, the temperature rises by 1 degree every 108.26 feet - you do the math...

Default Kennedy Mine

Thanks for the information! I did not realize that the temperature rose that quickly. Still trying to find various deep mines in the Western US. If you know of more, don't hesitate to shout out!

The Argonaut Mine, across Hwy 49 from the Kennedy, was sunk to a depth of 5,570 feet. I don't have the exact figures, but I believe that the Empire Mine is at a depth of around 5200 feet. The North Star Mine, Grass Valley, was over 4000 feet if I remember correctly. The Idaho-Maryland Mine (New Brunswick shaft) passes the 3400 foot level, and with gold prices rising plans are underway to deepen it to around 5000 feet. If any more mines come to mind, I will post them here for you. May I ask what exactly you are researching? You can hit me up with an email if you do not want to post an answer.

~Dezdan

Default Deepest mine

The deepest I know of is in Utah... it started out from what I have heard, as a small hole, it was picked and pryed at for a few hundred years. While at heart it is a cave, it was mined, so this might meet your definition. In the 50s it was discovered by Cavers. It has since been named "Neffs Cave" you need rope and climbing gear to get in and out now. It has an explored depth of 1,163 feet (this is actual depth-going down, not in) yet is still not completely explored.
    If you are looking for something that was fully commercialized, there is a vertical shaft out on Fish Springs mountain, big enough to drive a truck into, you can repel down about 150 ft. into it. and then it levels out and you can navigate around. Last time in we walked for 2 hours in and 2 hours out and didnt explore all of it. You do need a respirator as there is a good critter population down there, and no one likes the hanta virus...
    Corey Shuman
    aka one_bad_rover or Blke36bimmer
    cshuman@goldrushexpeditions.com
    www.goldrushexpeditions.com

Default Research

Thanks for the information. I am doing some research for a fiction book that I am writing. Although it is fiction I do like to add real facts and history. The story would be perfect if I could find a very deep mine that was real, in which there was a small accident or disaster that claimed a dozen or so lives. The depth of the mine is not so important as the fact that not all the bodies could be recovered. I intend to leave history as such, but allow for my fiction to cause speculation into the disaster. I'll probably start a new post asking for information about mining disasters.

Thanks!

You might want to do a little research on the Argonaut Mine I mentioned above. In 1922 there was a fire on the 3,350-foot level of the mine which trapped 47 miners deep within the mine when the fire caused the main shaft to collapsed above where the miners were working - trapping them deep below the surface. A huge rescue effort was undertaken and a tunnel from the nearby Kennedy Mine (also mentioned above) was started in hopes of reaching the miners. For nineteen days straight, day and night, men worked around the clock on the rescue tunnel. When it finally reached the Argonaut it was found that all 47 miners had perished.

~Dezdan
    Last edited by Dezdan; 01-07-2005 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Can't Spell

I remember stumbling into some information on a deep mine earlier last year. I quick search turned it up again.

http://www.hecla-mining.com/hist1930.html

1966 - ASARCO sold the Morning mine (adjacent to the Star mine in Burke, Idaho) to Hecla for about three-quarters of a million dollars. Hecla immediately began sinking shaft to efficiently mine the deep regions of the Star mine. The Star was eventually shut down in 1982, reaching a depth of 8,100 feet, the deepest mine in North America.
    Brad

Thread Information