Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saragosa, Oregon

Default Saragosa, Oregon

I was just curious if anyone knows what's currently happening with Saragosa in Oregon after it closed in the late 1990s?

For those who don't know, Saragosa was a western town that was built from scratch in Lane County and was very popular place with those who love the west. It had a hotel, saloon, store, jail, 2 mines, a church and many other things that you would find in a typical western town. However, I'm not sure when it opened, but as the town became more popular, it kept on expanding with new things and experiences. There were even coaches that would take you around the town and to the camping grounds if you chose to spend the night there. Eventually Hollywood found out about Saragosa and started to film western films there. But once the government found out that many of the buildings on Saragosa didn't have building permits, it shut the place down and it hasn't reopened since. It's kind of sad to see such a unique place close down after all the money that has gone towards it to build such a remarkable place was a waste. I guess you could classify Saragosa as a ghost town now since the town is still standing but people arn't allowed to visit it anymore.

The picture below is a picture of Saragosa in 1994.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SkiBachelor; 02-21-2005 at 11:14 PM.

I too would like to know what happen. I drove by this place on accident and had to look it up on the internet. Suprised to find that this used to be a western theme park . So if they were shut down because of no permits, why not get the permits after the fact? I would love to visit this place when it opens (if it ever does).

Josh
    Eugene, OR

Angry

It's possible that the buildings weren't built to today's UBC codes, and therefore would be too expensive to retrofit the buildings to current standards. It's typical of local, state, and federal governments to stick their noses into these kinds of situations and screw things up. Buildings in Bodie, Ca. were built in the late 1800's and a lot of them are still standing, even though they weren't blessed by the Mono County Building Dept. Geez!

Me too! I just want to know everything about it!

A relative of mine bought that place. He just uses it as a private retreat. Its a pretty cool place.

Lightbulb Saragosa!

that sounds awesome about him buying it and using it as a retreat! does he/she need a caretaker? how fun! I need to write that down on my list of things to do..... buy a ghost town.

Default saragosa

My fiances step father lives out there. The place used to be a total blast to go party at. I would love it if they would allow visitors again.

If anyone can contact me about who currently owns Saragosa I would be forever in their debt. I found it quite easily but there are tons of no trespassing signs on the property and I didnt want to poke around for the owner.

Again if anyone could help please email me at Bobbywobbe@juno.com

where exactly is Saragosa? I went there a long time ago and I do not remember where it is.

Default Saragosa

Hi all, stumbled on this for sale http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite...lww2t006a00001

Thread Information