Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Frontier architecture

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Western Frontier architecture

Hi folks, great site, Im a new member. Say, If I were to ask you what is the nicest building built in the mid to late 1800'ds for each state (west of the mississippi) in any historically significant town, what would they be? For example,Idaho-Cataldo mission near coure de laine. California-Deschambeau hotel/IOOF bldgs. in Bodie. The building has to show the effects of time,but still be in fairly good shape. The building should also be unique and have that certain air of western frontier.

Default more clarification needed,I soppose

OK let me explain what I am after. I am a part time artist and ghost town fan, who creates half scale(1":24"or one inch =2 feet) replicas of historic western fronteir building facades.I use ceramics,wood, metal, and glass to create these pieces, and research as best I can to find whatever info(plans, old photos, etc.) i need. I have invested 3 -400 hours of work into some pieces . In keeping this theme, I am trying to create one building from each state that hopefully is the iconic "ghostown" building for that state.I have completed the Cataldo mission in Idaho, the Deschambeau hotel/IOOF bldg. combo in Bodie Ca., and am currently working on the three building combination of Knights of the Pithias/E clampus vitus/miners union hall in Virginia city Nevada.I have also done some small churches such as saint Rose catholic in French Gulch Ca.(unfortunately burned down by arsonists in 1999). So what I am looking for from you folks are suggestions of your favorite buildings as far as architecture that may someday hang in a museum as representative of The old Fronteir days. Thanks

The restored 1871 American Hotel in Cerro Gordo, California is very close to my heart. Check this link on my website for a picture of the hotel that goes with a story I wrote. If you are interested and want more info - just e-mail me. http://www.explorehistoricalif.com/august04.html
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

Smile

Thanks cecile it was great chatting with you at your wonderful website. Let me try this question for those intrested in this thread. Does anyone have a favorite building which shows wonderful or creative masonry work. It doesnt have to be elaborate,although I think that someday I would like to build something big and a little ornate like the Tabor Opera house in Leadville Co.,but simple and elegant like the rounded brick patterns on the tops of a couple of bldgs. in downtown Austin Nev.(sorry, I dont Know the names of those bldgs). I am just starting to get real good at my ceramic techniques for recreating brickwork. So If any of you have a favorite,I would like to research it and see if it is "do-able".Thanks

I thought I would post a sample of one of my replicas. Does anyone know what and where this is?

I did all everything that "manage attachments" on reply asked, but its not adding it to my post. what am I doing wrong?

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Frontier Buildings

Quote Originally Posted by dagnabbit
    OK let me explain what I am after. I am a part time artist and ghost town fan, who creates half scale(1":24"or one inch =2 feet) replicas of historic western fronteir building facades.I use ceramics,wood, metal, and glass to create these pieces, and research as best I can to find whatever info(plans, old photos, etc.) i need. I have invested 3 -400 hours of work into some pieces . In keeping this theme, I am trying to create one building from each state that hopefully is the iconic "ghostown" building for that state.I have completed the Cataldo mission in Idaho, the Deschambeau hotel/IOOF bldg. combo in Bodie Ca., and am currently working on the three building combination of Knights of the Pithias/E clampus vitus/miners union hall in Virginia city Nevada.I have also done some small churches such as saint Rose catholic in French Gulch Ca.(unfortunately burned down by arsonists in 1999). So what I am looking for from you folks are suggestions of your favorite buildings as far as architecture that may someday hang in a museum as representative of The old Fronteir days. Thanks
    Great hobbie,

There was a guy in Pomona, California in 1989 that did built 2ft. high frontier buildings as i remember he was located on State St. between San Antonio & Reservoir Ave, in some building complex just off State St. i was so impress with the detail that I wanted to buy the one he was working on, But he told me that he could not get to any more orders for several more months and when i went back he had moved out of thr aera. So i went home and built my own out of "balsa" wood from a minature train hobby store, But my frontier building was much smaller, The saloon i built was only six inchs. high and about 15 inchs. wide, but did try to catch as much detail as i could complete with wallpaper, and bottles, on the tables, and little saloon chairs, and bottles, on the shelf behind the bar and a player piano and pictures on the wall and even a decal that you could spell out the name of the Saloon "The Golden Nugget" on the out side of the sallon above the boardwalk and wooden awning that i got from a minature doll furniture store on Huntington Drive, and Rosemead Blvd in the town of San Gaberial Behind the Northwoods Inn. and then there is a guy in Tumecula, California that builds minature stagecoachs, and buckbords, and ore wagons, but there expensive but they are worth every penny, because there made in such detail, My wife and I are still in the process of writing a book including photos of these little towns that people have built in their back yards but every time we plan to finish and print the book someone comes ups with more stories and more photos of frontier buildings that people have built. Several newspapers have written articals on these people that started this very unusual hobby of bringing the old west to their own neighborhoods. E-mail us if you know of anyone that has pick up on this hobby. We will show in the book of all the stories and photos and who submitted them to us over the years.

Your Fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila & Family
    Last edited by Johnnie; 05-15-2005 at 06:38 AM.

Johnnie thanks for your intrest and input. I do very much enjoy making these historical records. I would be honored to some day be in your book cause I love sharing this history with anyone who has intrest. Here is another pic of one of my models. Do you know what/where it is?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's another view of some detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Question

I'm guessing Bodie, Ca. How far off am I.......

Thread Information