Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tincup, Colorado

Default Tincup, Colorado

Looking for information on anyone who has been there before. My Great-Uncle used to live there and my family will be travelling there this summer. Any info would be appreciated.
    SDSue 05

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Tincup

Sue: My wife and I visited Tincup last fall. Made the loop up coming in from the South. Quite a trip in good weather. Road is closed in winter and I suspect you have to approach from the West and North. Quite a few bikers and 4-wheelers there at the time of our visit. There is a diner or restaurant and a gas station. Cemeteries are particularily fascinating. I have posted some pics in Old Judges Album at www.backtrails.net. No trailers on southern approach, and get ready for some breathtaking vistas. The whole route is 2wd. Ooops. Just figured out those pics are on this site too, along with Ohio City and Pitkin. Search Tincup and check my 11-3-04 post. OJ
    Last edited by old judge; 03-15-2005 at 07:11 AM.

Default Tin Cup

Great Ghost town to visit. Make sure you spend time wondering around the cemetaries Old Judge mentioned. The first time I was there I came over the mountains from St Elmo. That was back in 1984. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/

Rocky

Thats a great site you have there Rocky!

Talking Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMonkey
    Thats a great site you have there Rocky!
    THANKS I appreciate the complement Rocky
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

I've been up to the Marble Mine entrance but see you were inside.
    Brad

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default caver

Brad: Great to see you back. Maybe I missed a post somewhere. This area is so beautiful and has such great history. You folks who may not have experienced Caver's excellent work, do a Caver search on this site, and enjoy. He is the real thing, and is an excellent photographer. OJ
    Last edited by old judge; 03-25-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Default Inside

Quote Originally Posted by caver
    I've been up to the Marble Mine entrance but see you were inside.
    Yes sir, it was open to a point. Tall chain link inside that lets you walk up to the edge and see down see around. That was about 18 months ago. I was inside the mine for several minutes trying to figure out where the noise (trucks) was coming from before I saw it in the bottom of the pit. Looked like Tonka trucks at first.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

I was there back in 96. Some friends and I had attended a large national caving convention in Salida CO. We decided to stay together since our after convention travels would be the same areas around the southwest. Anyway, Don knew where we were going and I just followed after we dropped his pop-up camper off in Gunnison. Right before the town I pulled over to check a tire on my truck and proceeded up to the town. I didn't know about the old mill and couldn't find Don or his wife. After about two hours of looking around I decided to press on. Later comparing notes back home we literally just missed each other. We even covered the same roads the days following, with them usually less than a day behind me. So I find there is this photogenic mill and decided to go back a couple of years ago. I camped near Gothic and rode my dual sport motorcycle down Schofield Pass,,,man that was a rough one. Dodging bowling ball size rocks and stair steps in the rock.

Old Judge,
    Thanks for the compliments,,I've been around but sometimes go several weeks between checking the forums.
    Brad

Default Info on Tincup

Sue,
    I was curious as to who your great uncle was. My family has had roots in TIncup for four generations. I am currently writing a senior thesis paper on the history of Tincup from the booming days to the beginning of the ghost town era. I would love to share some more info with you if you are still interested.

Thread Information