Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pantano Station - Arizona

Default Interesting

I am most intrigued by your work. Such sites interest me the most. From an archeological perspective, this would be so neat for investigating some lessor known intaglios. I know low level aerial photography is not always available and most expensive to commission. Marking spots on the ground to register your photography seems like your next step but 400' is a bit low proper perspective. Could you get a waiver from the FAA in remote areas? I am of curious as to initial costs, as I know several sites I'd love to get the skyview of.
    Yet Another Bob

Ghost Town Kevin:

Nice shots, as always. Lookin' forward to more!

Great site, btw!

Dave

DAVE! You ol' polecat!... Fancy meeting you here... Cool website here, isn't it?...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I am most intrigued by your work. Such sites interest me the most. From an archeological perspective, this would be so neat for investigating some lessor known intaglios. I know low level aerial photography is not always available and most expensive to commission. Marking spots on the ground to register your photography seems like your next step but 400' is a bit low proper perspective. Could you get a waiver from the FAA in remote areas? I am of curious as to initial costs, as I know several sites I'd love to get the skyview of.
    There are UAV operators that routinely get COA's (Certificates of Operations) from the FAA to do all sorts of things including flying at ten's of thousands of feet... But, then they're actually a lot - LOT more expensive than just going to the local airport and hiring a pilot with a Cessna to take you around... Around Tucson, I can get a plane and pilot for $100 to $150 an hour... You can cover quite an area in an hour...

Admittedly, the photos I do are limited in scope... The platform is not really suited for "survey" type work... I don't shoot straight down for one thing... I use an oblique angle to see the sides of things with my set-up... I normally only use a 5 to 10 degree look down angle - max 30 degrees...

One thing you might investigate is the private satellite imagery companies like "old judge" was saying... Terraserver being one... I've seen alot of great ones - easiest is to do a web search of "satellite photos"... Most have subscription and print services and the resolution is surprising... If you were in your driveway waving at the satellite at the time the photo was taken, you'd quite easily see yourself... Worth a try - and very inexpensive... I use them sometimes to find take-off and landing sites around my intended subjects in the city...

Kevin

Smile Aerial Photography sources

I know aerial photography well but getting it for specific sites and sufficient resolution for what site surveys is a wee bit cost prohibitive (Or Iím just too cheap). It is getting better as much comes in electronic form now and the non-classified government (Not commercial) stuff is freely exchangeable. I work with several Photo Interpreters and they can tell ya, I have standing orders if they do work in Nevada to keep me up to speed, Unfortunately, I'm not that excited about most Superfund sites and the costumer isn't that keen on archaeological and non polluting historical sites (Did get some interesting stuff on heavy metal pollution along the mill sites below Virginia City near Dayton, Nevada.)

I can see the advantages to side view photography from your perspective as it is just for exploring and such. I routinely visit Terraserver and Topozone when checking out new locales. Sure sounds like a lot off fun and if you can offset some of your costs, so much the better.
    Yet Another Bob

Another nice feature is you can get access to land that is posted.
    I fly a weightshift trike (ultralight) and always enjoy the unique aerial perspective.
    Brad

dvsww2 Guest

Smile Flight Photos

Guys, this looks like an interesting tool...I'm one of those guys that says" If the Good Lord Gave me Wings, I'd Fly" However air photos would be interesting of a site that is quite spread out and has tall brush. Metropolis NV Comes to mind as it was once a fairly developed city and a lot of roads, foundations and even sidewalks exist, but with the waist high brush, it is difficult to imagine how the town was laid out. Even the developed c**** system would be interesting to see from above. One of my buddies talked to a guy who worked in the area on a federal survey crew says the c****s are really interesting. When the land development company lost they water rights case, the town died.

Is it easy to get to the Cienega station that's west of the Pantano station? Its just 1/4 mile east down the train tracks from where they cross the Frontage Road, correct? Google Earth shows a big bridge out there where the tracks cross.
    Also, does anyone believe in the story of the second "La Cienega" station in the "Dig Here!" book? The place where supposedly the "Bender Gang" operated? Personally I think its just a story made up by the author and there's only one Cienega or La Cienega station out there.
    The Bender's "La Cienega" station was supposed to lie east of either the Pantano or common Cienega stations (the book didn't specify exactly which one) in a "box canyon". Supposed to be treasure buried out there but I doubt it.

Default Pantano az

Interesting.. PANTANO AZ - was begun by my great grandfather.... He was a Doctor from Palermo Sicily.
    Wish I knew more about it all..... But , he had run away from his family - with a younger woman - and went to AZ.... Stinker started the town --
    If anyone knows more -- please contact me.. I would like to see his grave ????
    I'm up in Colorado..... Thanks....!!

Syracuse, NY, Arizona, the Klondike, Yukon Territory.

Default Butterfield's Seneca-Cienega Stage Station

Butterfield's stage station site near Pantano Is now partly under the railroad bed at its bend near Davidson Wash.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gerald T. Ahnert; 09-16-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Thread Information