Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Schellbourne Nevada

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Fort Schellbourne Nevada

Last week I posted some information on the exact location of a famouse Pony Express, but that was a Museum that Parker Lyon named his Museum That contained a lot of old memrobilla from the old west.

This Pony Express was for "real" and went by the name Fort Schellbourne, and it's exact location I am not sure i am just going by some notes of my uncles. but he indicated that it was located in eastern part of Nevada and east of the Egan Range and east Steptoe Valley and north McGill and east of Cherry Creek, and 3 1/2 east miles of Hy 93,

Among the first white settlers to look upon Steptoe Valley had been Howard Egan of Salt Lake City, an ex-major in the Nauvoo Legion. To prove his contention that a central route across Western Utah Territory would be shorter and otherwise more preferable to the circuitous Humboldt River trail, Major Egan had loaded himself and some supplies on a single mule, and in ten days and on September 19 to 29th, 1855 had ridden from Salt Lake City via the present site of Schellbourne to Sacramento, a distance of 700 miles! Never before in history had such a feat been equalled.

Major Eagan had proven his point and with inauguration of the first Overland mail line in 1858, And when the stages of W A. Chorpenning were routed to follow the trail thus pioneered. Every 12 or 15 miles along this course were located relay stations where "spent horses" might be changed for fresh teams. one of the stations so established was Schell Creek, later to be known as Schellbourne. The Pony Express and the first nation-spanning telgraph line later followed substantially the same route and utilized the same station facilities. But when Indian raids began brewing, in this peaceful Valley of abundant game and plenty of fish in the streams and plenty of pine nuts in the nearby hills is when the redmen were not willing to relinquish this land to the white man it never ripeded into a large scale battle, but the aera was constantly beeing raided by small bands of Indians.

The Pony Express riders, pounded through the mountains on their around-the-clock schedules, were shot from ambush; and mail coaches were attacked,and drivers and stations tenders slain, corrals and barns burned, and horses stolen. Even after the discontinuance of the Pony Express, but mail stages continued to rumble through Schell Creek for a number of years, and the Indian raids on the carriers became so often that a company of cavalry was assigned to protect the station. With this development, the place was renamed Fort Scellbourne and soon afterword began taking on the looks of a town.

Soon after that silver was discovered in the nearby hills and Schellbourne had blossomed into one of the first mining boom towns in Wite Pine County, houses spang up and several business, and three quartz mills were built.

For such a spectacular beginning, Schellbourne's mines did not hold up well under intensive operation,and by1885, most of the frame buildings had been moved across Steptoe Slough, and up the mountain to Cherry Creek along with most of the remaining citizens.

Schellbourne became a ghost town except some old residents like William, Eliza, and Marshal Burke that stuck around hopeing that the town would boom again.

Now this town was big enought to have a Wells Fargo Bank and at one time when my uncle visited the location in 1948 there was still a lot of buildings still intact, But we know for sure that with all time that has pass it must have takeing it's toll, and there may be nothing left now. I look up the old fort on our web-site and did not find any information on this very historical ghost town site.

Maybe Another Bob has more information on Fort Scheellbourne, and could let the rest of know if there is any thing left of this old "real" Pony Express site.

From the desk of Johnnie
    Researcher and Historian
    Last edited by Johnnie; 03-28-2005 at 02:53 PM.

I lived in Ely for six years and passed through that way many times. All I ever saw was a couple of old buildings that may or may not date that far back. But it's pretty much just a rest stop these days.
    ACE

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Johnnie: Some info on Google, and pic or two at www.nvghosttowns.com . I enjoyed your story, especially the part about the "spent hores" in paragraph 4. The pony express really knew how to take care of their riders.. OJ

Quote Originally Posted by old judge
    Johnnie: Some info on Google, and pic or two at www.nvghosttowns.com . I enjoyed your story, especially the part about the "spent hores" in paragraph 4. The pony express really knew how to take care of their riders.. OJ
    Thanks! Guys, for the imput. I guess I didn't check that page close enough on our list of ghosttowns I did not see it listed, I will check it again.

Johnnie

Default Did you mean Shawn's Site

Hey Old Judge, were you trying to get Johnnie to Shawn Hall's Site? If so, a better URL is http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/
    That site has a one good photo of the old Wells Fargo building at the ranch! http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/wh...hellbourne.htm
    The ranch, where the Pony Express Station was is private property but most of the trail for a hundred miles in both directions is accessible. Shawn has a good write up of Schellbourne in his book on White Pine County. I have a bunch more info at home as well. There is a small monument and rest stop where US93 crosses the Pony Express route but the actual fort is about three miles east of US 93 just off a good county maintained road that follows the Pony Express and later stage route over the Schell range.
    Yet Another Bob

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thanks Bob: My bad. Guess I got too excited about the "hores". OJ

Default Comment and another neat site

Old Judge. I have lot's of stories in my mind about the subject your referring. Someday, I'll have to tell ya a story about one of those ladies, a camel, and a very happy ending.

I'm a member of the White Pine Historical and Archaeology Society and they have a really good site for White Pine County.
    http://www.webpanda.com/white_pine_c...ety/index.html
    Jerry Bowen took some really good pictures of Schellbourne before the ranch got cleaned up about five years ago. You might want to check out Jerry's work>
    http://www.webpanda.com/white_pine_c...bowen_pics.htm
    Hope I got those links correct.
    Yet Another Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Old Judge. I have lot's of stories in my mind about the subject your referring. Someday, I'll have to tell ya a story about one of those ladies, a camel, and a very happy ending.

I'm a member of the White Pine Historical and Archaeology Society and they have a really good site for White Pine County.
    http://www.webpanda.com/white_pine_c...ety/index.html
    Jerry Bowen took some really good pictures of Schellbourne before the ranch got cleaned up about five years ago. You might want to check out Jerry's work>
    http://www.webpanda.com/white_pine_c...bowen_pics.htm
    Hope I got those links correct.
    Thanks! O. J. and you to Bob for your information and write up on Fort Schellbourne, Sometimes I forget that there is other web-sites other than our ghosttown-site I haven't been over to Shawns site in long time, thanks for reminding me.

Johnnie
    Last edited by Johnnie; 03-28-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by old judge
    Thanks O. J. for catching that Blupper, I am sure they had a bunch "spent hores" there also. I caught that mistake when i was editing the posting, but we had some company come over and I forgot to change it, I wonder if the orig. Joe Canforty was around then and if thats where the orig. "Mustang Rranch" Might have been located.

Blythewood,SC.,Isle of Palms,SC., Midlothian,VA.,Slat Lake City,UT.

Default white pine county

The American Forts network site has a good listing on the fort and a link to other info from the state web sites.The whole area is so lightly visited that peace and quiet is assured.While going to BYU many moons ago,I was often tempted to make the pony express trail trek to Ruby Valley,but tales of horror from the misadventures of the idiot,unprepared fools that are often found in Provo fightened this city slicker off the hunt.

Thread Information