Thread: Bodie School Days

Default Bodie School Days

Ever wonder what school was like in Bodie? I have two guest writers this month giving me a break from my monthly website writing duties. Peggy Lee writes about Bodie school teacher Ella Cain, whom she was fortunate enough to meet. And Bodie historian ranger, Terri Geisinger submitted a wonderful story she wrote about a school prank involving piglets, that was handed down to her by one of Bodie's former residents.

www.explorehistoricalif.com
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.cerrogordo.us

Cecile...............I got to meet one of the Cains over the hill in Jackson, Ca. about 15 years ago, and heard some great stories about Ella Cain. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Cool Bodie California

Quote Originally Posted by Cecile
    Ever wonder what school was like in Bodie? I have two guest writers this month giving me a break from my monthly website writing duties. Peggy Lee writes about Bodie school teacher Ella Cain, whom she was fortunate enough to meet. And Bodie historian ranger, Terri Geisinger submitted a wonderful story she wrote about a school prank involving piglets, that was handed down to her by one of Bodie's former residents.

Great stories, About 20 years ago i meet a fellow at the Great Western show in Pomona, California that was displaying hundreds of Bodie News Papers I told this "collector" that i too collected old newspapers dateing from 1870s up to 1920s so when i seen this fellows colection I had to ask him would would like to trade some of mine for some of his Bodie papers and his answer was no, but would be glad to sell some of his. So we set up a time to meet that following weekend at his house as i remember Anaheim, California and i was just like a kid in a toy store bought all i could afford at the time, and he was nice enough to give me permission to read through the newspapers i planned to buy, so i pick out the the bodie papers with the most interesting stories.

The last time I tried to reach him he must have moved and i lost his business card so i can't even remember his name, someone might have heard of this collector of only Bodie Newspapers.

These newspapers were all dated 1870s and early 1880s and full of interesting stories of the early days in Bodie the most interesting old mining town here in California.

I joined a newspaper club in the mid 1980s but have no idea if the club is even still around any more there last address was Timothy Hughes Rare & Early Newspapers P.O Box 3636.Wiiiamsport PA. 17701. We do not collect newspapers any more so we are just passing the information on to you guys if any of you old west buffs are intersted to check into this very interesting hobby.

Johnnie and Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 05-18-2005 at 12:17 AM.

Thread Information