Thread: settlement and land use?

Default settlement and land use?

i was just curious if anyone knew the laws for the posability of using the land that ghost towns are on. i am in oregon and have for a while been thinking about trying to find some land and starting up a bit of a town with a few other people i know who are interested. how posable is this?i have been looking for any information, but don't really kneow where to look. any help would be much apreciated.

First of all you have to find out the ownership status of the ghost town. It may be privately owned, by a family that has history with the town, the mining company that last mined there, whatever. Most often, however, these places are controlled by the governing land agency where the town is, such as the Bureau of Land Management, United States Forest Service, National Park, State Park, whatever, and you would have to contact them, but your chances of getting a ghost town from them are pretty slim. Once in a blue moon you can find a town for sale by a private party. Currently, Garlock, in the Western Mojave near Randsburg is for sale by a private party.

Even if you find a place and get a good monetary deal on it, remember that it's going to take a lot of money, and a lot of hard labor to keep it going, and it's never going to end, it's an ongoing project. It's a big money pit. I'm involved with Cerro Gordo in the Inyo Mountains of California, which is privately owned. I can tell you it takes a lot of blood sweat and tears to do this. It's an ever going battle to keep old buildings from giving away to time and the elements. If you can't stay on your property 24/7 you also need to hire a caretaker or you will find your dream will be lost to the vandals. Depending on the property, even with someone there, it can be vandalized.
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The folks who own the Eldorado Canyon Tours at Nelson, Nevada said they owned the Techatticup Mine for something like 11 years before they were able get it to the point to open it up to public tours. And they have insurance woes out the ying yang. But they got lucky and was able to buy the place from an heir who was looking to let it go.

you might want to check the county tax rolls,many places have reverted to county or state ownership for back taxes.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

If you find that perfect place, good climate, nearby streams, snow-capped peaks (in the distance), beautiful sunsets, wildlife, quiet, but not much more than 50 miles from amenities, etc., I'm looking for that caretakin' job. OJ

Thumbs up

OJ.................I've already got my resume typed up looking for exactly the same job. I don't know who has the most seniority, but I'd be willing to play second fiddle, if need be. I'm sure there's more than one place out there that meets your criteria. By the way, where's Johnnie been lately?

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron
    OJ.................I've already got my resume typed up looking for exactly the same job. I don't know who has the most seniority, but I'd be willing to play second fiddle, if need be. I'm sure there's more than one place out there that meets your criteria. By the way, where's Johnnie been lately?
    We out here still trying to keep on top of things and checking out what is on the horizons.

J & S
    Last edited by Johnnie; 02-22-2006 at 08:49 AM.

dvsww2 Guest

Default Pearl ID townsite for sale

On the real estate ads here locally, the Pearl townsite is forsale. It has 24.5 acres and 3 mines forsale. The bad side of it is the "owner" a couple of years ago deceided to "clean it up" and burnt down all the buildings shown on the Ghost Towns page on the town. I thought about it and deceided against it as it would be a major project. One would certainly want to know who owned the mineral rights under the townsite in case they wanted to come in and extract any Ore. Contact Century 21, Gem Realty www.C21Gem.com I'm in no way connected with this, but thought it might be something that board members might be interested in. PRice is $117,500

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by dvsww2
    On the real estate ads here locally, the Pearl townsite is forsale. It has 24.5 acres and 3 mines forsale. The bad side of it is the "owner" a couple of years ago deceided to "clean it up" and burnt down all the buildings shown on the Ghost Towns page on the town. I thought about it and deceided against it as it would be a major project. One would certainly want to know who owned the mineral rights under the townsite in case they wanted to come in and extract any Ore. Contact Century 21, Gem Realty www.C21Gem.com I'm in no way connected with this, but thought it might be something that board members might be interested in. PRice is $117,500
    Must be a bum link. Takes me nowhere??? What Peral in what state?
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Default Pearl, Idaho

Pearl is north of Boise Idaho west off Hwy 55 before getting to Horseshoe Bend. Turn left at summit. Maybe a sign there or maybe not, can't remember. Road connects to Emmett.

Thread Information