Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underwater Towns

Default Underwater Towns

Hi All,
    Anyone aware of any resources for locating towns that have been abandoned and flooded by man made lakes?
    Any leads to DanStantonHFWV@aol.com would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!!

Thumbs up underwater ghost towns

i guess along time ago, there was a town near where i live that was flooded by a dam that broke, you can see like the flag pole that still stands, and from what i understand, there are the buildings that are standing but are underwater, im sure if you got to the city commers or something, they would have something on it.

dvsww2 Guest

Default Try Roosevelt(Valley County) Idaho

I haven't been to Roosevelt in many years, but you used to be able to see the outlines of the buildings in the water. The town was flooded when the creek was blocked by a mud slide. There is a brief write up on Ghostowns

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Alamo Crossing; St. Thomas in Arizona

Alamo Crossing in Arizona was a mining town that is now under 100 feet of water in Lake Alamo.

There is a site called St. Thomas which was under Lake Mead, but on land again as the water has receded.

Tom
    Last edited by Ghostdancer; 05-19-2005 at 05:22 PM.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Correction on St. Thomas

St. Thomas is in Nevada and not Arizona. It had been underwater for about 60 years until drought caused the Lake to recede.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

There are quite a few towns in Utah that are under water now. Connellsville is under Electric Lake up Huntington Canyon; they drained the lake temporarily because miners punched a hole in the bottom of the lake and they had to fill in the hole the miners punched in there. They need the water from the lake downstream at the power plant at the mouth of the canyon. I tried to find out when they were going to drain the lake so I could go see if there was anything left of Connellsville, but I ended up going into labor with my daughter instead. I believe there is a town under Lake Powell and there is one up American Fork Canyon that I know of too. It's pretty common.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Smile

I know of at least 3 other "towns" that are underwater in the Central Sierra foothills near Sonora, Ca. One is the old town of Jacksonville, under Lake Don Pedro, and another is the original site of Melones under New Melones Lake in the same area. I'm sure there's quite a few more, as the demand for water to supply the growing population, caused the construction of numerous dams thru out the country.............

Default Underwater towns

The old mining town of Hite is in the northern end of Lake Powell. The water was down quite a bit last summer and a good bit of the town was visible and still remarkably intact. Lots of artifacts were visible too. The water has been coming back up at the rate of 6 inches per day now so I would assume its back underwater again.
    There is also a lot of remnants of the old Saltaire resort sitting under the Great Salt Lake. Scuba is the only way to check it out but make sure you clean your gear well when you are done as the salt thick out there!!
    Corey Shuman
    aka one_bad_rover or Blke36bimmer
    cshuman@goldrushexpeditions.com
    www.goldrushexpeditions.com

Arrow Monticello

Underneath Lake Berryessa in Napa County, CA lies the old town of Monticello which was filled in by releasing a dam sometime in the early decades of the 1900's

Word has it that the recession of h2o at times can reveal some things once covered!!!

Monticello was a farming community!!!

http://www.clix.to/coachbodie
    Last edited by Coach Bodie; 05-17-2005 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Now that I think about it, Thistle is mostly underwater too, due to a massive landslide in 1983. There are still some buildings above water, but not in very good condition.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Thread Information