Thread: "Frontier Town Newspapers" part "One"

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile "Frontier Town Newspapers" part "One"

About week ago i posted a story how i got interested in the hobby of collecting old mining town newspapers from Bodie California. In the early days there was no other way of knowing what the latest news was, around the state.

Sometimes the news might be three weeks old by the the time it was printed. It is hard to visulized now, what that would be like. It is well known that just about every town had a newspaper in some cases might have two or three newspapers, as did Bodie California.

In the 1880s there was a town here in Southern California, in the Mojave Desert just north of Yermo that made history and had a newspaper by the name "Calico Print it first issue was dated July 12, 1882, and in this first issue they ran a artical on "how" Calico was dicovered and "who" found the first stike but was not found at it present location but was 8 miles away in what is now the Waterman Mine, in the fall of 1880. In the Calico Print newspaper artical in the spring of 1881, according to this story, Lowery Silver made the first strike at the present Calico with his partners Charlie Meacham and Johnny McBride. The discovery of the King mine, according to the newspaper, was made by Undersheriff Tom Warden, Hues Thomas and others and the newspaer gave it credit as the biggest and the richest mine in the state of California.

When we get more time we will post the rest of the story

Johnnie and Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 05-19-2005 at 02:40 AM.

Default Old West Newspaers

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    About week ago i posted a story how i got interested in the hobby of collecting old mining town newspapers from Bodie California. In the early days there was no other way of knowing what the latest news was, around the state.

Sometimes the news might be three weeks old by the the time it was printed. It is hard to visulized now, what that would be like. It is well known that just about every town had a newspaper in some cases might have two or three newspapers, as did Bodie California.

In the 1880s there was a town here in Southern California, in the Mojave Desert just north of Yermo that made history and had a newspaper by the name "Calico Print it first issue was dated July 12, 1882, and in this first issue they ran a artical on "how" Calico was dicovered and "who" found the first stike but was not found at it present location but was 8 miles away in what is now the Waterman Mine, in the fall of 1880. In the Calico Print newspaper artical in the spring of 1881, according to this story, Lowery Silver made the first strike at the present Calico with his partners Charlie Meacham and Johnny McBride. The discovery of the King mine, according to the newspaper, was made by Undersheriff Tom Warden, Hues Thomas and others and the newspaer gave it credit as the biggest and the richest mine in the state of California.

When we get more time we will post the rest of the story

Johnnie and Sheila
    Now with the "World Wide Web," and Satallite and Cell Phones, service availabe to everyone in the world the latest news is instant. but it was not that long ago that that the latest news may not be known till hours, or even days later.

I remember back in 64 when i stop at at a news stand after work and seeing every newspaper at the newstand with all the newspapers with front page headlines showing what happened in Texas that day. "Except" the evening edition of the "New York Times" that was printed before the event happend.

What would it been like back in the old Gold Rush days and get the lattest news 3 weeks or maybe in some cases a couple months later. We sure have come a long ways since then. We hope you fellow ghosttowners enjoy this old posting from G T Archives.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie Sheila

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    . We sure have come a long ways since then. We hope you fellow ghosttowners enjoy this old posting from G T Archives.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie Sheila
    Hi Johnnie & Sheila! It's always great to hear from you! Yes, I enjoyed reading your old post, I hadn't seen it before. Old newspapers here are scarce as hen's teeth, I think most of them must have been used to start campfires or fireplaces.
    The museum in Globe has some good newspaper reading in their archives. We've looked through several of them and find it interesting that even back in the 1900s, so much of what was written was political...seems not much has changed since then except for the players.

Post Frontier Newspapers

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Hi Johnnie & Sheila! It's always great to hear from you! Yes, I enjoyed reading your old post, I hadn't seen it before. Old newspapers here are scarce as hen's teeth, I think most of them must have been used to start campfires or fireplaces.
    The museum in Globe has some good newspaper reading in their archives. We've looked through several of them and find it interesting that even back in the 1900s, so much of what was written was political...seems not much has changed since then except for the players.
    Hello! Laura, Yes your right old frontier newspapers are very scarce and most of the local librays have found it very hard to preserve, what is left are being transfed onto microfilm, but who knows by now they may have a "new way" to preserve old newspapers so we don't lose all these pages of American history.

As we all know there was no other way to communicate with the masses other than the telegraph. but thats where it stop from there it was word of mouth and then the local newspapers.

Maybe we were better off not knowing what was happening 100 miles away, like my grandmother always said. " No News Is Good News" We know the old west "Wild and Wooley", but i think we were better off then then we are now'

Knowing "to much" of what is going on all over the world. is not that necessary for most of us We all know every newspaper and magazine and news media is fighting to be the first to print, or flash the latest news.

The most interesting old west papers i read was the papers from the wild and wooley gold towns of the west like Bodie.

Hopefully we do save the few of these historical newspapers that are still floting around so the future generations can read the stories that took place 150 years ago and hear it from the horses mouth as the saying goes.

Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 01-28-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Thread Information