Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RYE Patch Nevada - Gold Field - Nevada Ghost towns

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Cool "Colorado Ghost Towns"

We just check out Colorado Ghost Town website and are very impress, With all the links you have to offer and for all the information on the Rockie Mountain Territory. By the way Rocky, did you happen to catch that program last year hosted by Peter Fonda, on the history of the mining in the Rockies, and the other program on the History Channel "The Tale of Two Citys", that told all about serveral old mining towns in the Rockies. We were luckie enough to have had a tape ready for just a an occasion such as this.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 11-15-2005 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks for the nice comments I appreciate it.

Nope, I did not see the program hosted by Peter Fonda. Guess I should watch for these things. It would be interesting to see what the history channel selected as important to film. Coloardo has plenty of choices. What cities did they feature?
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Smile "Elko Nevada"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie
    Nevada, sure has some great ghost towns to visit I guess it would take 20 years to see them all some are dissapearing faster then we have the "time" to visit them some are being saved, by classifying them as historical sites by the state that their located in.

Over the years we had the privllege of visiting some Nevada, ghost towns in the late 1950s and 1960s when gas was only 15 cents a gallon, and the whole trip covering 5 days and 1,500 miles would only cost $50.00 and that included food, gas, film, refresments.

But today $50.00 might get you to the state line from here in California, and then you have to stop and fill your tank again. Just awhile back I took the family out to a ghost town of Goverment Wells, over near the Colorado River and while we were out exploring we meet a fellow that was on horseback and he stop to talk with us and he told us that he was from Montana, and he had traveled all that ways camping outdoors just as they did in the 1800s but was not homeless he said he owned a cattle and guest ranch in Montana, and gave us a his business card and told us stop by his ranch if we ever get over to Montana.

He told us he seen old mining towns that were not on the map, some were just a few shacks but left just as they were in the turn of the century. what are we missing by not taking the back trails of this great American West.

We are now working on some projects that show the rest of you ghosttowners what these old mining towns look like in the early part century and in the 1920s and 1930s some can be seen in museums in Nevada, we have sent some to Herb Robbins, in Gold Point Nevada, and some to Suzy McCoy, in Rhyolite, and we are also hopeing to post some views of many old ghost towns in Nevada in the mid twentys if possible.

Your fellow Ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    "NEW POSTING" 12-25 ---->

Elko Nevada, What a "Treasure Trove" of old mining towns around Elko, My nephew that lived as a real cowboy on ranches in and around Elko, told us that when he lived in that part of Nevada he tried to visit as many ghost towns he could in the late 1960s and 1970s but also told us just lately that everyones favorite Singer "Bing Crosley" owned several ranches near Elko and was known to mingle with the locals while he was vacationing his "working" ranches, and the locals admire Bing, and his accomplishments but "Bing" loved the locals just as much. Someone reported that one of Bings,faviortes sayings was Elko is "Gods Country" and my nephew Dave, always loved to used that famouse Quote also.

When we click on the map of ghost towns around "Elko" we were surpprised that my nephew was right there is bunch of ghost towns in nothern Nevada. When we were out exploring in the 1960s never had the time to get pass Goldfield and Belmont, But always wanted too, and always plan too, and sure wish we had. We expect that there is less to see and to check out now in and around Elko, but maybe some other fellow ghosttowners can bring the rest of us up to date on the currant status of these "Gems" of N/E Nevada.

My wife and i got the tail-end of a radio program out of Las Vegas, last nigth where a relative of "Bring Crosely" was being interview by Pete Moss on "KDWN" radio and she did say that Bing, did have some ranches around Elko so this confirms the stories that Dave pass down to the rest of the our family through the years. I guess "Bings" Niece Carlolyn will have a book out shortly about the time she spent with Bing, what a neat time for Carlolyn to hear Bing sing all our faviorite songs in person at there family get togethers, Boy what a treat.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 12-26-2005 at 06:07 AM.

You are right. I had planned to come back to Colorado from Rye Patch on 80 to Elko and spend time wandering around but got hooked on going south instead. Guess I have to save that trip for another time. I could spend months in Nevada.
    Last edited by Mikejts; 12-25-2005 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Rocky

Default Nevada Ghost towns

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejts
    You are right. I had planned to come back to Colorado from Rye Patch on 80 to Elko and spend time wandering around but got hooked on going south instead. Guess I have to save that trip for another time. I could spend months in Nevada.
    We agree Rocky, Nevada seems to have alot of all those minerals that everyone is looking for, and seem attract all the explorers to that region of the west. Even today some of these old mines are being worked, and with todays gold prices why not.

Over here in California, these old rock quaries that made sand and gravel are now making more money refineing the gold that at one time was wash down from the San Gaberial Mountains, according to an artical in the local newspaper.

Johnnie & Sheila

Ely in White Pine County is where its happening...more mining and indian attacks than any other county. It was the wild west you hear about...wagon trains circling in indian attacks, pony express stations, cavalry chasing indians it really was a wild and wooly times.....Ive got photos on my website from last summer.... http://aaahostmasters.net/2002_0103/index.htm ...the The old remains of Hamilton and Treasure city are fast disapeering. i'll be going back this summer looking for a few selected places. Belmont Mill is going down hill fast also. ive also got a lot off Indian petroglyphs photos taken about 25 miles from Reno....thousands of them but its a real bi**h to get ...strictly 4 wheel drive...check out my site and enjoy the photos.
    Last edited by OldTroop; 12-27-2005 at 09:10 AM.

Talking

Nice Site. Let me know if you are interested in trading links.

Rocky

Default Colorado and Nevada Ghost Towns

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejts
    Thanks for the nice comments I appreciate it.

Nope, I did not see the program hosted by Peter Fonda. Guess I should watch for these things. It would be interesting to see what the history channel selected as important to film. Coloardo has plenty of choices. What cities did they feature?
    Pardon us for not answering your question Rocky, a while back about what ghost towns that were on that program we just have missed that post of yours. Anyway the towns featured on that program were so many. We will have to watch the tape over and get back with you. We have to agree with you Rocky, "Old Troop" our new fellow ghosttowner does have a nice web-site for Nevada Ghosttowns, and is one of several that are on the top ten best, along with your great great site, you guys keep up the great work.

Your Fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila

mikejts...incoming pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie
    Pardon us for not answering your question Rocky, a while back about what ghost towns that were on that program we just have missed that post of yours. Anyway the towns featured on that program were so many. We will have to watch the tape over and get back with you. We have to agree with you Rocky, "Old Troop" our new fellow ghosttowner does have a nice web-site for Nevada Ghosttowns, and is one of several that are on the top ten best, along with your great great site, you guys keep up the great work.

Your Fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Not a problem. I completely understand.

Rocky

Thread Information