Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RYE Patch Nevada - Gold Field - Nevada Ghost towns

Default RYE Patch Nevada - Gold Field - Nevada Ghost towns

I just purchased a Gold Detector and part of the purchase price includes a 3 day training session in Rye Patch Nevada.
    Because I will be traveling about 1000 miles to get there I am interested in seeing some Ghost towns before and after the training session. Obviously I want to see Virginia city again as it has been years since I was there. An suggestions the people on this form have I would appreciate.
    I am interested in towns that still have buildings, they should have a good history of Gold/silver mining.
    I also do not mind using my 4X4 to get to a site so if you are aware of one but it is hard to get to don't be bashful about sharing. I will be coming from Colorado across Utah and then Nevada.

THANKS
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Default Plan on traveling US-50 going or returning

Well, if you want buildings and consider Virginia City a must, then bag Eureka and Austin on US-50. I don't know how far off the main track you are willing to detour but there is Cherry Creek and Sprucemont off US-93 between Ely and Wells, Hamilton and Belmont Mill off US-50 between Ely and Eureka, Metropolis off I-80 between Wells and Elko and as you get nearer Rye Patch, there several neat towns off I-80 between Elko and Rye Patch including Palisades, Uniontown. and nearby Rye Patch (Check out Rochester) If you've got the time, spend a day in Tonopah and Goldfield and then head back up Smoky Vally (past Round Mountain, Ophir Canyon, Kingston) etc toward Austin or bag a Nevada State Park at Berlin. I'd explore around those places looking for lessor known (not so many buildings) but these all provide good exploring.

Are you looking for placer gold? Microscopic Gold abounds in Nevada but some of the best historical Placer gold mining was around Manhattan and a short jog to Belmont and then back through Manhattan on your way out of Tonopah toward Austin would be icing on the cake. If you hit Tonopah, swing by Shawn Hall's Historic Mining Park and invest in a couple of Shawns books fo9r good details on Nye, Elko, Lander, Eureka and White Pine counties. I'm just typing as I think about a recon trip hitting Nevada when heading west from Colorado and how to gert back. Remember you can find neat stuff in Utah and Western Colorado as well and Bodie California ain't that far from Virginia City. A map, a plan, and the time to explore is all you need.
    Yet Another Bob

Bob,

THANKS for the advice. Now all I have to do is sit down and spend time mapping stuff out.

Virginia City is not a must see. It just holds a special place for me as my father took me there when I was a kid. The picture of the "Bucket of Blood" saloon is etched in my mind. Also we talked a lot about Mark Twain as My father was a real fan of his.
    I did plan on traveling 50 across Colorado/Utah as I am not fond of the freeways unless there is something I want to see and that is the only way I can do it. My training is Tuesday thru Thursday so I plan to spend 4 days before and 4 days after to get to and from Colorado.

Yes, I will be looking for placer Gold. If you know of placer gold sites in Colorado I would appreciate that. When you say, "neat stuff" in western Colorado what are you referring too?

Rocky

dvsww2 Guest

Default Rye Patch Area

Bob pretty well hit on it. I would add Star City, Scossa, Seven Throughs district out of Lovelock. You can scratch Humboldt City off the list as apparently it got eaten by the Florida Canyon Mine. I would say that you could spend a couple of days easily right around the Rye Patch area. Make the NV 400 loop around to Star City,Unionville and then to Rochester and back to the pavement.. There is also a mine sight in between Unionville and Rochester that I'm uncertain of the identity but it has some cool mill foundations

There are lots of towns by Ely, if you're going to be in the area. One is Osceola and there are others that I can't remember the names of right off the top of my head. There's also the Belmont Mill, Hamilton and Treasure City on the other side of Ely. In the Virginia City area, don't forget to visit Gold Hill and Silver City, they're really cool. You may want to stop in at some museums in Carson City and Reno too.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Rocky: Sounds like you're gonna have a lot of fun. I've posted some pics of Belmont Mill and Hamilton on this site and at www.backtrails.net, and Caver has some great pics on this site and his.Have a great time with that new stuff. By the way, if you get to Reno and enjoy old cemeteries, you can't beat the cemetery up by the college just off fraternity row. A real interesting spot in the middle of town. Oh, Sego,Utah is a favorite of mine, too. Mike
    Last edited by old judge; 05-19-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Default A Fan or the man with the yellow pants.

I'm not much of a fan of Orion Clemens' brother. At least, not during the time he was "Roughing It" His brother Orion however, was a great Nevadan and quite honorable man.

The famous "Baldy" Green said it best when he acknowledged that Twain had ridden with him but he "...never liked him. He seemed to study a long time before he said anything funny. Any he never gave me a cigar or asiked me to take a drink in his life."

Neat stuff in Western Colorado means I love to escape the heat of August when I have some vacation. I've road my enduro all over the hills out of Silverton, over by Telluride, down toward Ouray and found all sorts of nifty things Also messed around up toward Meeker and stuff. Following the old RR grades over the hills east of Aspen, neat roads over the passes out of Leadville, often take you by spectacluar old structures and such. How can I tell a Coloradan how much fun I've had in Colorado.

Don't know any good placer locations in Colorado but if you setup allows you to find stuff in dry washes, might have some possible locales in Nevada to root around. It aiin't like early California. IMHO, Most places have gold but you've got to dig and root and if your going to do that much manual labor work, you'd expect to make more than mimimum wage for your time. Of course if it is just the thrill of the hunt, then have fun. I've seen a couple half ounce nuggets retrieved but a weekend oif work to realize a quarter ounce of color just isn't my idea of fun.

If I remember correct, your based out of Denver somewhere, but you've got plemnty of history and old buildings within two or three hours of town. I'm sure you'll learn about ledges and how placer gold collects and the key is to look where other ain't. Finding such places means researching what was up above, The had a big old dreg barge working placer down below Manhattan in the 30s, now that is good placer mining. I knew old prospectors that kept themselves in beans working dry washes during the depression when beans were cheap and gold was $35.00 an ounce so it can be done.
    Yet Another Bob

Talking Thanks

Just want to say "THANKS" to all of you that offerred advise for my trip to Rye Patch Nevada. I had planned on spending time in Utah checking out some Ghost towns but did not get all the info I was looking for so instead I spent several days checking out some of the Nevada Ghost towns. Actually quite a list. Berlin, Belmont, Ione, Manhattan, Cherry Creek, Hamilton, Belomnt Mill, Rochester, Lower Rochester, Unionville, Star Point, etc. etc.

PS - In case you care, I did find gold...

Rocky

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Cool "Nevada Ghost Towns"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejts
    Just want to say "THANKS" to all of you that offerred advise for my trip to Rye Patch Nevada. I had planned on spending time in Utah checking out some Ghost towns but did not get all the info I was looking for so instead I spent several days checking out some of the Nevada Ghost towns. Actually quite a list. Berlin, Belmont, Ione, Manhattan, Cherry Creek, Hamilton, Belomnt Mill, Rochester, Lower Rochester, Unionville, Star Point, etc. etc.

PS - In case you care, I did find gold...
    Nevada, sure has some great ghost towns to visit I guess it would take 20 years to see them all some are dissapearing faster then we have the "time" to visit them some are being saved, by classifying them as historical sites by the state that their located in.

Over the years we had the privllege of visiting some Nevada, ghost towns in the late 1950s and 1960s when gas was only 15 cents a gallon, and the whole trip covering 5 days and 1,500 miles would only cost $50.00 and that included food, gas, film, refresments.

But today $50.00 might get you to the state line from here in California, and then you have to stop and fill your tank again. Just awhile back I took the family out to a ghost town of Goverment Wells, over near the Colorado River and while we were out exploring we meet a fellow that was on horseback and he stop to talk with us and he told us that he was from Montana, and he had traveled all that ways camping outdoors just as they did in the 1800s but was not homeless he said he owned a cattle and guest ranch in Montana, and gave us a his business card and told us stop by his ranch if we ever get over to Montana.

He told us he seen old mining towns that were not on the map, some were just a few shacks but left just as they were in the turn of the century. what are we missing by not taking the back trails of this great American West.

We are now working on some projects that show the rest of you ghosttowners what these old mining towns look like in the early part century and in the 1920s and 1930s some can be seen in museums in Nevada, we have sent some to Herb Robbins, in Gold Point Nevada, and some to Suzy McCoy, in Rhyolite, and we are also hopeing to post some views of many old ghost towns in Nevada in the mid twentys if possible.

Your fellow Ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 11-07-2005 at 06:20 AM.

Gas at .15 cents a gallaon. That sure beats the $3.79 I had to pay crossing NV. That is what I get for not watching the gauge. Got enough to get to the next town.

I was impressed with the Nevada Ghost towns. I put several on my site today. Got a lot more to do.

Did you catch the guys name from Montana, Where where these sites he mentioned. What trail was he following. Just wondering.

Rocky

Thread Information