Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RYE Patch Nevada - Gold Field - Nevada Ghost towns

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

There were quite a few old mining camps in Utah that were very well kept secrets till up to the last couple decades. Such as the area (slips my mind) the rancher turned over to the state that had over 100 recorded Indian sites, including adobe houses and rock dwellings. There are some places (mines/Indian sites) in Central Nevada I have heard about that look as if the people just got up and walked off yesterday, but they are tough to get too and you have to know the right people to get there.

I had a family friend that worked on the Nevada Test Site and he had been to a few of the old mines and sites that the NTS over took. He said many were in incredible shape since no one had been around since around the 40's when it was taken over. Lots of machinery and equipment, buildings, you name it. Chances are I wouldn't last long working out there, I'd be fired for goofing off looking at the sites and the thousands of petroglyph's and such that are in that place. They can keep the little green men, I just want to see some American History

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Cool "The Back Trails" on horseback

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejts
    Gas at .15 cents a gallaon. That sure beats the $3.79 I had to pay crossing NV. That is what I get for not watching the gauge. Got enough to get to the next town.

I was impressed with the Nevada Ghost towns. I put several on my site today. Got a lot more to do.

Did you catch the guys name from Montana, Where where these sites he mentioned. What trail was he following. Just wondering.
    Rocky,

He gave a business card, but I don't know who has that card now we will trace it down, I can't remember what it said but i do recall his ranch was in Montana. We will try to find it and post the information. It wouldn't take much urging to jump on a horse and and take those back trails and experience what it would be like live on the trail for 6 months but for me it is just a dream. But Phil Spangenberger, the fellow that is on "History Channel" and "Wild West Tech" series all the time. Told me a few years ago that he and some others made that annual horseback ride through that same outlaw trail that The Wild Bunch used in the late 1800s and said the experience was unforgetable. And by the way the fellow horseback from Montana, told us about a a small group of buildings back in the hills in Nevada, with several buildings still intact with everything left as it was in the early part of the century according the the magazines and newspapers laying around inside the bunk house and other buildings. When we got home i look up the area that he thought the buildings were located on a old Nevada map dated 1905 sure enough there was a dot in that area that he described to us showing something was there in 1905 but not on later maps. We have not tried to find this lost ranch yet, But hope to find time soon. Who knows maybe there is nothing left, because lot of time has gone by since he related the story to us. and with all the rain that we have had lately maybe everything has been wash off the mountain and down to the low lands.

Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 11-10-2005 at 06:32 AM.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Those old maps are a hoot to read aren't they? Have a few myself that show some places I want to try to hit, just to see if what they thought it was and what it is, is the same thing

I have some friends that used to do the ATV cross country thing years ago before ATV's were still designed for mainly racing. They got to a lot of places that are really hard to get too and the sites are in good shape because of so. It seems Nevada has a few left, but they tend to be far from a highway and you really have to want to go there to bother. Mostly the center of the state areas. Been to a few of those myself. Drive as far as you can and hike in the rest of the way. Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it, but then you are glad they are a PITA to get to since it keeps the riff raffers out.

Cool Back Roads, Old Maps, & Hidden Ghost Towns

We all know Gary, that every year that go's by there is less of to see, because of the weather and vandalism of these these hidden locations that are all over the west. Our fellow ghosttowner "Another Bob" has collected many old maps that show many of these hidden locations and who knows for sure how many hidden small ranches and caves, and hidden strong boxes, from stage coach robbiers may be stuff away on these back trails of the American West.

Back in the !980s there was a news paper artical in our local paper about the how old west buffs retraced on horeback the trail that came out of Yermo, Califrnia and went eastward to the old Fort Piute. This group found many old items along the side of the trail a couple old rifles frames, and buckboard shells, and old 44-40 shell caseings, and old bottles, and a old pack saddle. still with the leather straps attached. So if a person wants to take the time to travel these old back trails who knows what is still out there to be discovered. And we are not sure what area is still open for exploration a lot of goverment land has been closed to the public in the last few years. Maybe Bob, might know what aera is open and not closed by B L M.

Your Fellow Ghostowners
    Johnnie & Sheila

Default There are plenty of areas and at least on our side of the border...

There are plenty of areas and at least on our side of the border no area is closed to horse or foot path except for the DOD and DOE lands like Gary alluded to. Mostly prudently staying on roads and trails and for the most part, these old routes are still considered a road, trail or way. Gary, I know lots of those buildings where you walk and find 1919 magazines and such still. Root around Fay and Deerloge for instance) and I worry more about Hantavirus than others destroying the "hard to get to" places you have to work to get to but if someone can get an SUV to these areas they are in peril. Gary, I used to visit a neat line shack a bit south and east of Elgin which had a working pot belly stove, and enough protection from the elements to hole up for a few days. Bout 8 years ago the UP was cleaning out the clutter under their bridges and made an area large enough for a small vehicle to get under and not only did someone steal the stove, the trashed the place within a few months. The rains earlier this year took out the bridge and a couple hundred feet of RR track and the area up above is now Wilderness so hopefully what remains is safe. Gary, when we talk, Iíll let know exactly where you can hike there and then another three miles to find another line shack they couldnít drive to

Sorry, I may be old school but the thrill is in the finding and if you leave the place like you found it, leave the arrowhead for the next person to find, others can have that same thrill you just had but if someone purloins the artifacts (breaking several federal statues if on public land) , no one else will ever have a chance at the joy and thrill of making that discovery. Leave things for your grandchildren to find seems a good motto says Bob as he steps off his soapbox.
    Last edited by Bob; 11-08-2005 at 08:32 AM.
    Yet Another Bob

I know too much about vandalism.

An old neighbor and his Land Cruiser club took down remains of a wooden building at Delamar in the early 80's. My dad tore him a new one and I don't think they talked much after that. Especially since we had family that worked and more than likely died from the exposure at Delamar.

If they ever get a time machine going, I'll be one of the first in line to go back to the 'ol days to see what it was like. Then catch a ride on my Great G-Pa's stagecoach back to Vegas and buy some acreage for a $.25

Bob- I'll try to get with you early next week. Looks like I'll be doing some Christmas tree hunting practice on a couple of (huge!) trees in my front yard this week/end

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie
    Back in the !980s there was a news paper artical in our local paper about the how old west buffs retraced on horeback the trail that came out of Yermo, Califrnia and went eastward to the old Fort Piute. This group found many old items along the side of the trail a couple old rifles frames, and buckboard shells, and old 44-40 shell caseings, and old bottles, and a old pack saddle. still with the leather straps attached. So if a person wants to take the time to travel these old back trails who knows what is still out there to be discovered.
    Your Fellow Ghostowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Actually, the local off road sight seeing club I'm in is doing a run along a section the Mojave road next week. Then in Dec., we're hitting the other end through Fort Piute. Went through original Ivanpah 2 weeks ago, first time I've seen in the daytime

I also picked up one of Bill Mann's books about the Mojave Desert and the different trails to check out. I kind of wonder if he was the info man for the story you're talking about, as he described pretty much the same findings.

My to do list just keeps getting longer.........

We better stop all this talk about the good 'ol days and ghost towns, we might offend the paranormalists

Smile "The Good Old days"

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    Actually, the local off road sight seeing club I'm in is doing a run along a section the Mojave road next week. Then in Dec., we're hitting the other end through Fort Piute. Went through original Ivanpah 2 weeks ago, first time I've seen in the daytime

I also picked up one of Bill Mann's books about the Mojave Desert and the different trails to check out. I kind of wonder if he was the info man for the story you're talking about, as he described pretty much the same findings.

My to do list just keeps getting longer.........
    Hello BoB, and Gary, The days when we all traveled the back roads are getting few and far between atleast for these "Old Timers" but we hope that everyone that takes the back roads do as Bob, said leave the historical location as they found it, so future generation can enjoy the same experience of coming around the bend and finding a real ghost town that no one cared about 75 years ago and giving our generation something to see "first hand" what it was like to live in these rural area of the American West.

Gary If you could take photogaphs and post them on the bulletin board we all love to see what is still out there in this very remote area that may be still intact. You know for us fellowghosttowners that will most likely not have the time to check it out for ourselves. and maybe you could put together a video also of all your trips.

Something i wish i would have done in the 1950 and 1960s but all we had was 8mm 50ft. long but lasted 10 minutes so we did not take much 8mm film if we had only had a video camera like our fellow ghostowners have at their disposa this day and age, we would take hours of film which we all know will be very historial 30 years from now.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    Sheila & johnnie
    Last edited by Johnnie; 11-09-2005 at 08:22 AM.

In case some of you are interested I just posted several (6) Nevada Ghost towns on my site. Just click on the link below and then on the Nevada link on my site. This was a result of your input and suggestions. So thanks. I still have at least another 10 worth adding for Nevada. I must admit, I do want to go back as I was only there for a week and there is a lot more for me to see. Guess I have to keep expanding my horizins.

If any of you are familiar with Alaska let me know as next year in June I will be going to Ganes Creek Alaska to prospect for gold. Would like to get some ghost towns in the trip. Need to start my research early.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Thread Information