Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RYE Patch Nevada - Gold Field - Nevada Ghost towns

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Belmont mill

Old Troop: Nice site. Very much enjoyed your photographs. If you're interested in what's on up at the top at Belmont mill, check "Caver's" post of 10-15-04 on the subject, and enjoy his fairly recent photos. OJ

Looks familiar - I was there in September 2005 That is when I took my pictures. has not changed much.

Quote Originally Posted by old judge
    Old Troop: Nice site. Very much enjoyed your photographs. If you're interested in what's on up at the top at Belmont mill, check "Caver's" post of 10-15-04 on the subject, and enjoy his fairly recent photos. OJ
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Nice photos. We didnt make it up to the mine. good to see pic of it up there. Im going to go all the way up belmont canyon ...theres an old ranch supposed to be up there. Theres a really nice valley at the bottom of Treasure Hill that looks real inviting. You could probably spend about a week just exploring that area alone. I'll spend 4 days in Ely as base camp. Covered a lot of territory last trip, this time its going to be selected places. Wish I had time to do some fishing in Cave lake.....man that is a beautiful little lake.

Default Snow should be getting pretty deep

Old troop, when ya heading to Hamilton? There is a really neat collection of circa 1860 remains worth visiting but figure they are under snow till bout May. Last time I visited it was late April and got stopped by a huge snow drift but it the original water works coming up from Illipah creek. The remains of a couple pump stations and a huge water storage facility at an elevation above Hamilton proper.

BTW: Welcome to Ghosttowns. From your website I figured you were based in Ely. Could point you in the direction of some lessor know White Pine Sites if you interested.
    Yet Another Bob

Hey Bob, I live in Reno. My brother and nephew and father all go and its a good get together...there in Colorado springs and were in Reno so its a great place to meet up, probably about June 20th or so. I think I know the remains your speaking of...is it off the shermantown road???? we were going to go to Shermantown but a **** of a big muddy rut was stopping us...we were in 4 wheel drives but that was just asking for trouble...it was bad. so we returned to hamilton and took the road up to Treasure hill, there was one snow drift in a sharp hair pin turn that almost stopped us but we made it. then we tried to get to Shermantown off the top of Treasure hill....MISTAKE...**** road hung on the side of the cliff and when we decided it was time to turn around it took 2 people and about 40 go an inch forward and an inch back to get the rigs turned around. Wont do that road again LOL. Theres so many places in white Pine County and most are really easy to get to...**** the dirt roads are better than the paved roads of reno LOL. You only need 4 wheel drives for a few selected places...or if your dumb like we were. The so called fort Pearce grave yard is really an interesting place. Its on the other end of Egan canyon out of Cherry Creek. Tippet and Antelope Springs are cool....its all real easy to get to. Take a lunch and go down Spring valley and there is about 6 ghost towns you can go to...not much left at few of them. Lots of great scenery, theres just so many its hard to tell you LOL...**** all of white Pine County is a very historic area.

Default White Pine County

If I could earn a living I'd live there or Caliente or Goldfield or anywhere but Las Vegas. I've been there, hunted there, explored there. My favorite out-of-the-way place is over by Blue Mass and have found lots of interesting "not-on-the-map" things in that area between the Goshute's Reservation and Sacramento Pass (Black Horse Area). You can access the Water Works heading east from downtown Hamilton when the roads are not wet but that won't happen till June. Actually coming up from Illapah Creek (Go in at the reservoir) follow along the creek till ya get to the area (There a couple old ranch structures and some good deer hunting and lot's or running water to find if you make the wrong turn) and a “jeep wide” vehicle does a lot better than a my “full sized Bronco” width vehicle. .

BTW: Really liked your write up on Joshua Ward. Sounds like you have a lot of exploring to do. I've still got a couple blanks in my locale spreadsheet for White Pine county not places most even consider and not on a map and I can only pinpoint them with a 10 mile radius.. Then I have some blanks in your neck of the woods, including a locale between somewhere just west of the rest stop out of Wadsworth I just can’t locate..
    Yet Another Bob

Yeah...we spent about an hour on Connor pass...there used to be a stage stop there. we had an original old photo of the stop and were matching skylines and hill structures....i know we were almost on top of it but not sure....thats one place I want to check out gain and Blackhorse. Were gonna follow the road out of Eagn canyon and past the graveyard...about 10 miles out is the remains of another pony express station and stage stop. Great thing about the Pony Express stations is they were only 10-12 miles apart. So you can go to Tippet, Antelope Springs and Schelbourne right into Egan canyon. Blue Mass is one of the places were going this trip, didnt make it last trip. Also go on past Tippet to the Utah border...theres supposed to be some good remains of towns and pony express staion right on or near the line. Weve been to quite a few out side of Fallon near Austin. Id love to live in Ely....i dont work so thats not a problem.
    but I have 4 grandchildren here in Reno and I couldnt get my wife to leave for anything LOL. I know most of my days would be spent at cave creek fishing LOL.

Default Cave Lake

Actually in the summer I like to watch Elk back past Cave Lake. The biggest German Browns are not in the reservoirs (Niether Cave lake nor Illipah) but follow the success loop over the hill and near where the Kalamozoo Road meets the Success Loop, figure out how to get over to Duck Creek for some really big fish! I thought the actual Conners pass locale was bladed in the 60's for the perhaps the next to the last previous version of the highway. What could you find out at White Pine Historical and Archaeological Society. Once you bag all the ghosts they have written up I can point to another dozen of so they haven't got around to and then share some of my missing places.
    Yet Another Bob

Sounds good Bob. yeah I have to make that success loop this time also. I hear its a really beautiful area. i know I wont do any fishing this time but id like to make just a fishing trip sometime. You know theres a possibility that the Connors Station was graded....i know we were right there from the photo we had. I was hoping it was on the other side of the hiway up in the trees.I'll be taking alot more photos this time, If you have any places I havent listed let me know....might be added to my trip. Oh yeah, the White Pine Historical Society web site is great for information. Ive gotten plenty of info from it.
    Last edited by OldTroop; 12-28-2005 at 02:34 PM.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Wink Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Actually in the summer I like to watch Elk back past Cave Lake. The biggest German Browns are not in the reservoirs (Niether Cave lake nor Illipah) but follow the success loop over the hill and near where the Kalamozoo Road meets the Success Loop, figure out how to get over to Duck Creek for some really big fish! I thought the actual Conners pass locale was bladed in the 60's for the perhaps the next to the last previous version of the highway. What could you find out at White Pine Historical and Archaeological Society. Once you bag all the ghosts they have written up I can point to another dozen of so they haven't got around to and then share some of my missing places.
    We can't wait Bob, To hear of those hidden places your speaking of in your great state of Nevada.

J & S
    Last edited by Johnnie; 01-01-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Thread Information