Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Is Ortley, Oregon

Default Where Is Ortley, Oregon

I have several books telling me there is remains of a ghost town in Ortley. I went looking for it today, and can't find it. Anyone?

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default ortley

45.656 degrees N, 121.287 degrees W. Mike

Hey Old Judge. Where did you get that info. USGS suggests 45 39' 21"N, 121 17' 17"W but I never believe USGS until I set my feet on their location, I've seen them off a couple dozen miles several times, 5 miles numerous times and once almost 200 miles (large incorrectness). I've tried to contact them to correct them, even sent them a correct copy of a USGS map and they basically shined me off. I concluded they don't give a fat rat's $&* abhout being accurate. I do wish I knew somewhere to get verified coordinates since I have learned not to trust USGS at all.
    Last edited by Bob; 05-23-2005 at 09:31 AM.
    Yet Another Bob

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Bob: Those USGS coordinates look pretty good to me. Got mine off topozone, as I've recommended many times. Eyeballin' it on a sectional appears correct. My experience has been very good using maps and info from that site. Not been lost (that I know of) yet, but don't drift nearly so far afield as I once did. I expect that I could find that location easily enough, but could be wrong. Verification is also often available from aerial photos. The info on Ortley, when all considered together, would make me fairly confident of success in locating it on the ground, w/o the coordinates. A number of years as a Navy navigator, comparing aerial photos, map info, visual information and radar predictions of targets doesn't hurt. Mike
    Last edited by old judge; 05-24-2005 at 06:21 AM.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well, I'm no Christopher Coloumbus but when I type in the lat/long @ Terraserver and Image Atlas, it shows China. So I'd say get a plane ticket to China and you might be in the right area. But if you type in city name and state, you can get airial photos and a top from the USGS of the area in Orygun

http://imageatlas.globexplorer.com/I...2&zoom_level=1

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/

This one works if the town is close to a major area, but it's much the same as the Terraserver.

http://www.spaceimaging.com/quicklook/

Default terraserver

Gary B.---Just rechecked my topozone coordinates, and Bob's, on terraserver, and there was Ortley, right in the ol' crosshairs. No evidence of the Orient that I could see. I'm stickin' with my rec. Mike

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I figured I was doing something wrong, hence the C. Columbus reference

Now if I said I was Magellan.....

Smile

according to mapquest;

from 1-84 take exit 82 columbia gorge discovery center.
    right on chenoweth rd
    left on w.6th/US30
    right on chenoweth loop rd.
    right on w.10th.st.
    make a right on seven mile hill rd. and go 3.1 miles,make a right go 1.1 miles turn left and go .6 miles to the town site.

The remains of Ortley are on private property, with "Do not trespass signs" located all over it. Hikerrob's directions above are correct, except you can't take the right turn off of Seven Mile Hill road. Below is a picture of that turn, I actually drove by it twice before realizing where it was. Google Maps shows some tantalizing buildings up there though.

Andy Pierson on Flickr has a few pictures of the remains of a house there: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andypierson/4438801659/
    Last edited by hamellr; 09-10-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    Pacific Northwest Ghost Town Travel Blog: http://pnwphotoblog.com/ghost-towns/
    Ghost Town Map: http://ghosttownmap.com/

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Thanks for the picture Rick. It's a shame that it's off-limits. Thanks for the link tho, at least we get an idea from it. Such a shame somebody trashed that house. Those kinds of abandoned houses could be time capsules if jackwagons don't mess with them.

Thread Information