Thread: Lonetree North Dakota

Default Lonetree North Dakota

My father graduated from Lonetree High School as salutatorian. He was born in Canada in 1909, but his folks lived in the area of Lonetree. I have been spelling it Lone Tree, North Dakota, but a cousin spells it as one word. George and Melinda Waterman homesteaded in the Lonetree area, which isn't far from Des Lacs, North Dakota, which is still a town in that state.

Gee...this was posted 10 years ago......Oh well....Lonetree is still sorta alive and well....My wife and I live here....we have a population of 5...........Lonetree no longer is on the maps as a town....My wife and I live next door to where the school used to stand..the steeple off the school is now outside of Minot ND in a persons yard...all restored ..The grain elevator closed many years ago...but is still used by a local farmer....there is still a large church in town....with a bell tower even,but has not been used for many years...the windows are broken out and is slated by the county to be torn down....

Lone Tree - Thank you for posting this up to date information on another ghost town. If you have read posts over the last few months you will see there are many towns like this across the upper mid west. If you can, we would really appreciate some pictures of old structures in this town, as well as current ones.

I am particularly interested in the grain elevators, which you indicate are still used by a local farmer. Some comment on why they stopped using them for general commerce and were converted to private use would be appreciated.

Thread Information