Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new in utah

Default new in utah

Hello,
    I'm a new ghost towner and i wnat to find some really fun ones to drag (as my kids would put it) my kids around to that are close. I live in the Salt Lake City area and if anyone has any ideas and directions I would like to hear them. Thank you.

If you go the the main page of ghosttowns.com, at the top of the page you can select what state you are interested in (Utah for you, as an example) then click on nearby counties. I noticed there are a few in Box Elder county (Ghost towns have the blue dots indicating the town). They won't give you exact directions of how to get there (because of idiots who will deface them) but a little research and a topographical map does wonders for me. Hope this helps some!

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Redneck: Couple of thoughts....Try Utah Ghost Town Books from the main page at this site. Several are listed and available in SLC..If a particular GT interests you, run it through Search on this site and see if there are posts and/or pictures that prove helpful to you....An appeal to Rachel (Ghost Town Huntress) might also be fruitful. Old Judge

Default Utah Ghost Towns

There really aren't too many good ghost towns left around Salt Lake.

I'd just head out to Frisco right off the bat. It's the best the Utah has to offer, and it's going downhill fast so you had better get to it soon. The first time I went there was in 1979 and it's changed a lot since then.

If you need some direction and or pictures email me directly.

There was a huge fire out by Frisco just about a week and a half ago; I'm wondering if it got Frisco at all. I sure hope it didn't!

ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Sego's not too close, but it's one of my favorites. The road in is a little bumpy but OK for 2wd in good weather. Also great Petroglyphs nearby. OJ

Blythewood,SC.,Isle of Palms,SC., Midlothian,VA.,Slat Lake City,UT.

Default Utah Ghosts

Back in Ut a couple weeks ago,but no time for an expidition.Cute little redneck lady,since you admit to being in Riverton,I'd jus'take off down Redwood Rd.Turn West at the sign for Cedar Fort.Stop and drive through a couple streets for a Ut redneck experience.Hopefully you ignored the Eagle Mt.signs.My wife wants to buy a house there,I want to stay in VA.Who will win?Anyway,keep on Going,stop at Camp Floyd,be sure to visit the lonely army cemetary.Continue on around the mountain.Take the road up to the Mercur gate.Hopefully the visitor ctr.is still open.It was worth a visit.Mercur was a big town at one time.When I first saw it about '68,it was a real great place to explore,but you can't get to it any more unless you hike ove the hills and avoid the security.But I hear NOTHING is left.The real purpose of the travel brochure is to encourage you to take the nxt.road up to Ophir.The listing will tell you why.The beauty of the canyon is worth a trip,but there are a lot of old bldgs.Again it was REALLY something 35 years ago,when there was only one cranky part time resident.One guy mentioned Sego.You got to prepare for that one.One memorable event in the late spring of '69,I made the trip up the old railtoad bed,through Manning to Mercur.Those were the days.Made it (barely) in a Corvair.Too stupid to know I was a moron.
    Last edited by ghamilton; 08-01-2005 at 02:12 PM.

I have pictures of Frisco and Sego on my web site. The pictures were taken in January of this year so you can get and idea of what you would see.

Frisco - http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/frisco_utah.htm

Sego - http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/sego_utah.htm
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

pocatello,idaho...land of milk and honey!

Talking ut ghosttowns

hi there sweetlilredneck.....tons a ghosttowns all over utah worth seein.......im down that way a lot explorin.......e-mail me and if ya want ill take ya on a ghost town expedition.......i have 4x4 and the locations to hundreds of utah ghosts and mines......really cool to explore......
    ghostriderghostriderghostriderghostrider

pocatello,idaho...land of milk and honey!

Exclamation .

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    hi there sweetlilredneck.....tons a ghosttowns all over utah worth seein.......im down that way a lot explorin.......e-mail me and if ya want ill take ya on a ghost town expedition.......i have 4x4 and the locations to hundreds of utah ghosts and mines......really cool to explore......
    ghostriderghostriderghostriderghostrider

Thread Information