Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SASCO - Arizona

Default SASCO - Arizona

I finally had a chance to get to another town for some aerial pics - SASCO... The last one was March posted here at GT.com "Pantano Station - Arizona"...

I have already posted the SASCO photos and commentary in an aerial photography forum at this address:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382673

I also put ghosttowns.com with a quote in that post... Several have commented that they've come over to visit GT.com...

I figured by linking here, it would save GT some bandwidth plus the other forum has a little more space to have larger images and is on-topic for them as well...

I hope all of this is OK with GT.com... If not, please, let me know... I will edit either or both posts as needed...

My website has also been updated, explains the type of aerial photography I do (miniature aircraft), and has some of the large images of Pantano Station in the "Newest Photos Gallery":

WattNoise.com

Hope you enjoy...

Watt Noise?
    Kevin

Crane, TX - But I'd rather be in Arizona or Colorado!

Thumbs up Sasco townsite

Nice aerial photos. Quite a few visible remains off in the bushes that most would miss.

I wish you could have gotten some pictures of the south side of the main road (which is built on the original railroad bed), since that was where the residential part of the town was. The street alignments should still show up well.

These may be the last photos showing anything significant, since this whole area is up for massive suburban development soon.

Tom H.

Yes - unfortunately, the signs are up at the Red Rock freeway exit for the new development... I did not know about the S side of the road - I was kind of wondering where the "town" was... I had thought it was between the smelter and the graveyard, but saw no signs of it in the aerial pictures of that area... The spotter I had with me, Michael, really wanted to go back again sometime soon and get some more pics... Maybe, I can put SASCO back on the top of my list to investigate that more... It is easy to get to and a great place to fly!... I appreciate the info, Tom...

Kevin

Question

Where the heck is SASCO ? Is it hear Tucson, or NW of it? Please fill me in....Thanks

SASCO is NW of Tucson... The most direct route is to take the Red Rock exit south of Picacho Peak on I-10... The "main" street in Red Rock is SASCO Road heading west... At the base of the foothills in the distance (approximately 5 miles) is SASCO... There are two significant irrigation ditches that run across this road though... When I first tried to go in mid-April, they were not passable in a passenger car... With it hotter and drier now, they would have been passable with a passenger car even though we did have 4W-drive this time to be on the safe side... GT's interactive map shows it in Pinal county...

Kevin

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Flatiron: Try GNIS. You'll like it. Mike

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Cool site. I never would have thought anyone was doing aerial photo's with an R/C plane

I was at Sasco today for the first time in two years.
    I was happy that virtually nothing had changed at the townsite.
    Does anyone know where a map of the townsite exists online?

Pulte is currently in the early stages of building a subdivision in the area. I contacted a rep of Pulte who said that their development is completely on the other side of the Santa Cruz, on the farmland in Red Rock, and that they do not own the Sasco site.
    Sasco and the La Osa Ranch was owned by George Johnson of Chandler, who currently has two impending lawsuits by the feds for destruction of protected Hohokham artifacts, illegally razing federal land, causing damage to the Santa Cruz, and causing an outbreak of a blindness-causing mite amongst a herd of bighorn sheep in the Silverbell Mountains through negligence in keeping his own sheep.
    In late '04, Pinal County rejected Johnson's "master planned" sprawl city. He sold it off soon after, and it is now owned by Diamond Ventures out of Scottsdale.
    This is one of the most interesting but endangered townsites in the country. It is in great condition despite grafitti and litter. However, development is encroaching, and because it poses a liability towards the ownership, it may be either fenced off or levelled in the next five years.

The easiest route to Sasco (via Red Rock) is actually blocked by the Santa Cruz River, which currently flows pretty strongly at this point, even when there has been a long period without rain, mostly due to run-off from the Roger Road Wastewater Treatment facility (yummy). I wouldn't cross it without a 4x4 as the entire road is covered, and there is no concrete underneath for traction.
    The easiest way in is via Trico Road to Silverbell Road. The unpaved portion is very good quality, with a short section near the Sasco Road junction that's very gravelly because of a nearby wash. It's also a beautiful drive.
    The other alternative is Silverbell Road around the mine, which takes at least an hour, and can't (or at least shouldn't) be done in a passenger car, but can be done with a high-clearance 4x2.

This is the Google map to SASCO... You have to pan to the left along SASCO road from the Red Rock/I-10 intersection... The "Hybrid" button and zoom-in ("+" sign) will show you the SASCO site AND the old town's roads!... Just look for the large, dark black area in the satellite photo to find SASCO...

http://maps.google.com/?sll=32.57611...&spn=0.05,0.05

Kevin

Default Sasco smelter

I do have photos of Sasco smelter and town when it was running. If you would like to see them you can email me at.

mad57ford@hotmail.com

Thread Information