Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrara Marble Finishing Mill, Navada -- BEWARE!

Default Carrara Marble Finishing Mill, Navada -- BEWARE!

Didn't see this in the forums, but I'd just like to spread a caveat to those of you exploring western Nevada -- the ruins of Marble Finishing Mill north of the townsite of Carrara are inhabited by someone. Although this person was not present when I was exploring the ruins on Sunday, 19 June 2005, this individual left his homestead setup--a pup-tent supported by sticks with water bottles, and some clothes drying in the sun.

Although I'd like to think all Ghost Town hunters are aware of the many dangers present in skulking around places we think are abandoned, having grown up in the Mojave desert, I know that desert-rats living away from civilization do so for a very good reason--either they dislike people or they are running from something.

Please be careful when visiting this site. My companions and I enjoyed our trip to the site and I hope everyone who visits it enjoys it equally as much and stays safe.

Thanx!

- GJR -

Default Carrara or the Elizalde Cement Company plant.

The townsite of Carrara is private land and it is up for sale. I'm not sure where you mean by the finishing mill which to the best of my knowledge was in the Carrara Townsite. They brought water down from Gold Center (Even had a fountain) and did what finishing they needed in the town before loading the Marble on the Las vegas and Tonopah RR (LV&T) and after the LV&T was removed, the marble was still loaded there but on a spur built by the Tonopah and Tidewater RR.

Since you noted the mill was north of Carrara, I wonder if you meant Elizalde. There are several 1930s white colored and moistly intact buildings associated with the Philipine financed Elizalde Cement Company plant that was built pre WWII and never amounted to much. They are located about a mile toward Beatty off 95 and half a mile up a dirt road. Those buildings have nothing to do with Carrara and I suspect anyone there is probably a squatter. If so, give the desert a couple weeks to heat up and I bet the problem will relocate to the trees along the Amargosa just below Beatty.
    Last edited by Bob; 06-23-2005 at 12:58 PM.
    Yet Another Bob

Default Elizalde Cement Company

My mistake -- I was at the ruins of the Elizalde Cement Company. When I was in Rhyolite, later in the day, the caretaker mentioned that the Cement Co. was a Philipino company established on land exchanged for Subic Bay -- can anyone elaborate on this?

- GJR -

Default I'd love more infomation myself!

Actually it has been difficult to find confirmable information on Elizalde. I’ve heard that the money had come from enterprise around Subic but not an exchange of land but haven’t been able to confirm anything other than “Philippine Investors”. The few facts I have suggest that the investors had more enthusiasm than capital and the venture had failed before the conditions that lead to Pearl Harbor and WWII dominated Philippine concerns. I’ve heard everything from the market was too far away, labor was to expensive, and the quality of the cement, like the marble at Carrara, was inferior but I suspect that there is a bit of truth in all. I’m sure production costs, transportation costs (The nearest real market for their products was Los Angeles), and general economy played the main reason. While we had begun to turn the corner on the worst depression in world history, unemployment was still high and only Roosevelt’s massive federal efforts were getting people working in things like the CCC and WPA but these efforts hadn’t stirred investor confidence and new private construction (The really profitable market for Elizalde’s products) still lagged. Really it took events in Europe and the Pacific to get us out of the over a decade of depression and things did start jumping (economically) till December 8th, 1941, several years after the Elizalde Cement Company failed. I do hope others can elaborate and like you, would welcome any potential sources of enlightenment on Elizalde and the fate of the Elizalde Cement Company.
    Yet Another Bob

Default Careful of Carrara!!!

Hey all! Was doing a google search on Carrara and came across this post & forum about Carrara being inhabited. I live in Montana so have been to about every "ghost town" here & in the surrounding states so while visiting my daughter in Vegas last week, her & her boyfriend took me on a day trip to see a few bordering Death Valley.

We passed Carrara on our way up but on the way home the sun was just setting and we thought that'd make some great photos with those strange remains at Carrara. They are mostly more industrial so have left some interestingly different forms of town remains.

I've never been scared in my life of any place like this but I felt uneasy from the get go. I just passed it off as the sun setting in a weird surrounding. When we rounded a corner at the back side of the Finishing Mill area there was just a corner of a building still standing. There we found a clothsline with a couple rags hanging from it, some bedding, a new broom, fireplace grate, an old lidless cooler containing water bottles and some other odds and ends. It felt as if this person had heard us and was hiding in the bushes watching us and waiting for us to leave. We didn't touch a thing and proceeded to head towards the car to get the heck outta there. We'd ALL gotten the same creepy feeling.

If that weren't enough... on the way back to the car we passed a ground level foundation that had one small portion of wall still standing upon which a crucified jesus was painted on a graffitied cross. There were fire pits and some other items also. If it weren't for the fact we all independently came up with the same thoughts and feelings I'd of poo pooed myself, but it felt like some Cult was using it for some ritual or other sinister purpose. It hit all 3 of us that way and we aren't the type of people to let our imaginations run away with us.

When we first got there we'd found all sorts of crap making it apparent that kids obviously, often, use it as a party site. But this set-up up above that area was just spooky people. And at sunset it was downright creepy as it gets. We couldn't get out of there fast enough and we had a firearm in the car stashed for protection!!!

Please... if you or any one else you know is planning a trip that way tell them it might be in their best interest to skip Carrara. There's just no use putting yourselves in possible harms way up there. And I'd suggest if you do go... go with a group and not at or after sunset!!!

Imagine my surprise though to come across this other post about someone else finding an inhabitant there on a google search. Seems I'd only been there about a week, last Thursday, after poster, Mawhamba.

OK all!! You've been warned!! Twice!!

Stormy

Default I'll check it out Wednesday

I'm heading up to Tonopah Wednesday to work a 4 day Off-Road race (thursday - through Sunday) and will check out Carrara and confirm this. If I don't find anyone at Carrara, I'll swing by Elizalde. If there is a squatter, I'll sic the law on em if you'd like.
    Yet Another Bob

Default Most Creepy

Hi Stormy --

I take it this was the crucified Jesus what you were talking about. I must admit, the ruins of the cement company were rather unnerving. My brother and I were there about midday a few weeks back and it was creepy then. I can but imagine what it was like as day was fading away into night. While I was exploring the ruins and snapping pictures, I could have sworn I saw movement in the brush several times -- I want to say it was white, like a white/off-white shirt. It was gone before I turned my full attention to it, however. This happened about three times before I finally decided to move on to Rhyolite.

I do concur, however, traveling in a group is highly advisable for any Ghost Town/ruins search (though this weekend I was all by myself amongst thousands of acres of Nebraskan corn) as GT hunting, while hella fun, can also be very dangerous. Not sure if this individual at Elizalde was so much a threat, however, as he/she kept their distance and never bothered us. Creep factor aside, this may simply be harmless homeless person -- it can't hurt to be vigilant, nevertheless.

- GJR -

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

This is one reason why I always have protection with me when out and about. I've been to many remote and abandoned places where an unsuspected visitor is very unwelcome. I usually always have at least one other occupant as well. More than likely if there was a person about, they were more afraid of you than you of them. Especially since they never approached you. Last thing a hermit wants is some gun nut blasting him for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I'm heading up to Tonopah Wednesday to work a 4 day Off-Road race (thursday - through Sunday) and will check out Carrara and confirm this. If I don't find anyone at Carrara, I'll swing by Elizalde. If there is a squatter, I'll sic the law on em if you'd like.
    Hey Bob, I would be interested in hearing a report of your findings so I (or you) can pass it on to users at my website.

Thanks,
    ~Dan

Default Hi Dan

I suspect it is as GaryB stated, a harmless hermit or other down on their luck person who was more distressed to have visitors and doesn't pose a threat. I'd not worry such a person. What I fink on real quick is vandals and even worse Meth Lab type operations. Just found out I have to be near Silver Peak at :6:00 AM on Thursday and may not get to leave Vegas till THursday about Midnight so it may be Sunday afternoon before I can check it out. If there is a standing building then it is Elizalde. Dan drop me an email next week.
    Yet Another Bob

Thread Information