Thread: FS: Modena, UT! Pics and info here...

Default FS: Modena, UT! Pics and info here...

I am not affiliated with this sale! I'm just a newbie to the site passing on some info I found!

Modena is what got me started looking up ghost town stuff on the internet this week. I was randomly browsing the real estate ads in the local newspaper -- The Spectrum. I came across a small ad with the title: GHOST TOWN. So I read more. Here's what the ad says...

GHOST TOWN. Owner financing. Motivated seller. Four homes, C-store, gas station, miscellaneous buildings. 32 city building lots, 2.5 acres highway commercial, five acres well and water, fixer-upper. 80 acres. All for $299,000. Modena, Utah. Call (719) 684-9044.

Man, if I had a spare $300k kicking around, I'd be all about buying a ghost town with 80 acres to boot!

Long story short -- I went there yesterday. I got off work at around 3 p.m. and went to check out this great place of Modena. Driving up to the town, I was loving it... you cross those railroad tracks and it's like you took a step back into 1885 or something. I drove all over... saw the boarded-up gas station, old pickups for sale, and not a single person. A couple of the homes are definitely occupied currently, but most have "for sale" signs in the windows. Despite the "no trespassing" warnings, I climbed into the largest of the abandoned buildings -- the Lund Hotel. Inside was quite creepy (by myself at least)... I went upstairs and there were still box spring sets for the hotel mattresses. Shelves are still there in what used to be the general store. I only stayed in there a minute. Just for fun, I went to the Nevada border (only 9 miles west) to see if there was anything else out there; there wasn't.

The whole trip was only about 2.5 hours round-trip -- and that's with my sightseeing. Here are some pictures. Why is my car in all of them, you ask? I needed to post up my new car pics at another forum I'm a member of, www.acura-legend.com.

Anyway -- I wish I could buy the Modena property. Hopefully somebody here can. On to the pics:

Last edited by 4cruizn; 06-23-2005 at 12:39 PM.

Default thanks for the great info.

thanks for the info and the wonderful pictures. What is that long narrow brick building, do you know? Were there any residents of this town?

Quote Originally Posted by JuneNY
    thanks for the info and the wonderful pictures. What is that long narrow brick building, do you know? Were there any residents of this town?
    You know, I didn't even look to see what it was. It was boarded up on all sides. By far it is in the best shape of any building there.

In driving around the (more or less) five square blocks of the city, I would guess that maybe two houses are being lived in -- and I only say that because they looked to be kept up and had late-model cars in the driveways. I never saw another person (driving or walking) while I was there.

In retrospect, I wish I had gotten some pics of the inside of that hotel. I didn't take any because I was in a hurry. I stashed my car behind the building next door so nobody would see it parked in front of the hotel and think there were people inside vandalizing it or anything. Every window and door was boarded up, so I ended up climbing into an opening you can see in the top picture I posted. Just above the trunk of my car in that pic, there was a place I could climb up on the boards and jump down inside the building. The thing that freaked me out, once I got in there, was that there were no boards to climb on to get back out! I hadn't thought of that. Luckily I was able to pile up some miscellaneous garbage and climb back out after my brief tour.

I was actually surprised that there was little or no graffiti and the walls, ceilings, etc were intact. All the fixtures (door handles, faucets, etc) were still there. I went up the staircase to the upper level. The handrail was way wobbly but actually looked to be in decent shape. Upstairs was scary because I saw that the floor had caved in in some areas and I didn't want to have it fall down under my weight. It was interesting that with all the hotel rooms upstairs (probably six or so) there was only one bathroom that I could tell. It was way too quiet in there and I didn't feel like sticking around. For one thing, my phone wasn't getting service out there so there was no way I'd be able to call for help. I didn't go too far back into the downstairs because it was a dark hallway and I didn't want to find out what kinds of animals, rats, etc were in there. Maybe I'll go back sometime.

I did do a little more research on the town, though. It was a center for commerce when the steam railroads would roll through town. When the diesel locomotive came around, evidently the trains wouldn't need to stop there for fuel or whatever, so Modena became obsolete. Slowly people moved out and it ended up vacated. The closest (tiny) town that's "alive" is about 30 miles east.

Was there earlier this year. The site is a ghost town but a little new for me. If you went to the cemetery you can see some of the dates on the tombstones. If I recall correctly the mid to late 30's is when the cemetery was first used.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

I am the great-great-great- grandson of B. J. Lund and I could tell you a lot about Modena. Who ever was wondering what was the Brick building, it was the old school house for Modena. I actually have a dresser from inside the abandonded hotel. Email me at

austinl93@msn.com

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Modena was bought a year or two ago from what I understand.
    I watched a local program where some ATV's went there and they had (one of?) the care taker tell a brief history of the place.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

is the town still for sale modena
    just a old hillbilly looking to see what i can see

Don't know, first I've heard of ghost towns in the area, just bought land out there.

Thread Information