Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military Bases As Ghost Towns?

Thumbs up

I tend to agree that abandoned military bases still give me somewhat the same feeling as being in a "real" ghost town. Just 2 weeks ago, my wife and I spent a few hours exploring the remains of an ex-Naval Base in Babbitt, Nevada. (Hawthorne). I know yet another Bob, and OJ probably are familiar with Babbitt, and it was fun poking around the area. The military housing has been torn down recently, but the overgrown streets, sidewalks, and slabs are still there, as well as the mature trees that were planted many years ago. The bowling alley/pharmacy is about the only building left now, and it's kind of eerie to think about all the activity that was going on here at one time, and now being there all by ourselves. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Oh , by the way. Bruins,Trojans, Sooners, Huskers? How about Huskies!

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron
    I tend to agree that abandoned military bases still give me somewhat the same feeling as being in a "real" ghost town. Just 2 weeks ago, my wife and I spent a few hours exploring the remains of an ex-Naval Base in Babbitt, Nevada. (Hawthorne). I know yet another Bob, and OJ probably are familiar with Babbitt, and it was fun poking around the area. The military housing has been torn down recently, but the overgrown streets, sidewalks, and slabs are still there, as well as the mature trees that were planted many years ago. The bowling alley/pharmacy is about the only building left now, and it's kind of eerie to think about all the activity that was going on here at one time, and now being there all by ourselves. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Oh , by the way. Bruins,Trojans, Sooners, Huskers? How about Huskies!
    I lived in Babbit housing for a time in the 70's and I remember it well. A number of the houses that made up Babbitt were actually given away by the Navy when they owned the base . . . They're scattered from Schurz to Mina as senior citizen centers, churches, private homes and other sundry uses.

Although relatively unknown to the public, there were several other housing areas associated with the base. Most notable was Schweer Housing on the north side of the industrial area. Schweer was in use into the very early 80's.

Jumbo Housing, located to the north of Schweer was used during WWII when the NAD population swelled to around 3,000 military and their dependents. Like Babbitt, the Jumbo houses were all frame construction. Virtually nothing remains of Jumbo today.

Interestingly, Schweer housing is still intact but abandoned. The houses are all concrete block construction on slab floors. The Army declared it excess in 1998 but, as far as I know, the property has not been disposed of. During a recent trip to Hawthorne, I went up to the Schweer house we lived in when the base closed in 1980. Apparently, the wife and I were the last people to live in that particular house 'cause I found a box of stuff we thought the movers had lost when we moved to the Phillipines. Turns out it never got put on the moving truck but the Navy paid me for the loss.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Thumbs up

Rockcrusher...............That must have been pretty strange finding a box of your belongings still there after 25 years. I'm surprised nobody took the stuff. Thanks for the info on Babbitt.

Question So...

So, then, does this support my original theory of abandoned military installations fitting into the category of Ghost Town?

- GJR -

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

GRB: It depends....OJ

Blythewood,SC.,Isle of Palms,SC., Midlothian,VA.,Slat Lake City,UT.

Default Ghost Towns and the military

In the not too distant past,I addressed this topic of military bases as ghost towns adnauseum.I won't repeat much of that,except to say that many bases reflected the "establishment"norm for work,recreation and housing of the time.The officers'row at many bases would have been at home in many upper middle class neighborhoods of the era in question.I have named some of the better examples that I have seen personally.REAL military ghost can also be totally abandoned bases,such as Walker Army Airfield in the middle of Kansas.I repeat my previous advice to go to the Phil Payette site,American Forts Network and the Freeman site,Abandoned and little known AirfieldsThese 2 excellent sites will take you to a wealth of info on the subject.My previous posts can easily be found.My current bad itch revolves around a place on the James River,East of the historic flowerdew Hundred site,called Ft.Powathan.Read the brief description on the forts site.This was a major base during the War Between The States(War of Northern Aggression)Two battles took place there,a pontoon bridge across the James was on site.It has been locked away since the war and jealously guarded against any public visits.Thousands of troops lived here for quite a period of time.It had decades of habitation,including being built on the site of a large,fortified Indian town.

Unhappy

How about adding abandon Missile sites to the "Ghost Town' category. My Brother in law had me check out a couple sites here in Colorado for him as he was thinking of buying one and fixing it up. Located several for sale in Colorado, went with GPS in hand and found them. After investigating the cost to clean up the asbestos it was in the millions. Neat idea, build a home inside the silo but **** expensive.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Blythewood,SC.,Isle of Palms,SC., Midlothian,VA.,Slat Lake City,UT.

Cool Military Ghosts

I find it difficult to classify a missle ste as a ghost town.Just not enough there.Most sites weren't a "town"People were rotated in and out.The families didn't live,give birth and die there,as at a "normal"base.A real neglected area of military ghost were the WW I era camps.They were built up fast,but seldom preserved.Some were just built over,like two in the greater Norfolk area.Historical markers mention them,but they are driven past and rarely noted.Some just disappeared without a trace.A couple pretty good remants of WW I airfields exist near Fort Worth,TX and Ft.Myers,Fla.,plus near Fairchild Tropical Gardens,S.of Miami.The SW Fla site has the most bldgs extant.The thing about the WW I sites was the lack of paved runways,paved streets,etc,that contributed to their rapid disapperence.Some were brought back and reused in WW II,to more or lesser degrees.Those are the ones most in evidence today.Actually there are two WW I airbases with good remnants near Ft.Myers.I've noticed the WW II buildings are going bye bye faster and quicker than before.I've been on three Va forts in the past few weeks and the difference from a few years ago is muy dramatica.Lovely,charactor-filled(and ghost-filled) WW II temp bldgs replaced with the most mundane of institutional looking crap that looks like it belongs at Liberty Univ.
    Last edited by ghamilton; 04-20-2006 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghamilton
    I find it difficult to classify a missle ste as a ghost town.Just not enough there.Most sites weren't a "town"People were rotated in and out.The families didn't live,give birth and die there,as at a "normal"base.A real neglected area of military ghost were the WW I era camps.They were built up fast,but seldom preserved.Some were just built over,like two in the greater Norfolk area.Historical markers mention them,but they are driven past and rarely noted.Some just disappeared without a trace.A couple pretty good remants of WW I airfields exist near Fort Worth,TX and Ft.Myers,Fla.,plus near Fairchild Tropical Gardens,S.of Miami.The SW Fla site has the most bldgs extant.The thing about the WW I sites was the lack of paved runways,paved streets,etc,that contributed to their rapid disapperence.Some were brought back and reused in WW II,to more or lesser degrees.Those are the ones most in evidence today.
    Guess on reflection I would have to agree. A missle site just doesn't qualify as a Ghost town. Most were out in the toolies someplace and no "town" was every really closely associated with them.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Ft. Ord, California

This gets me to thinking about Ft. Ord, California which was closed down over 10 years ago. It was there that I had all my training when I was serving in the Army.

I understand the barracks are still standing; would love to visit sometime.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Thread Information