Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franklin, Washington

Exclamation Franklin, Washington

i have recently heard of Franklin ad I am very interested in photographing it for a project I am working on. I Noticed in the description of it that permission has to be obtained from the Gun Club or Gas drilling company that is active on the land. Does anybody know the name of the club or the company so I can talk to them. I would like to start shooting the pictures as soon as possible.

Thank you for any Information,

Tex

The Black Diamond Museum Gives a great guided tour of the Franklin townsite.The tour is free and done one saturday a month I believe.

The company is Palmer Coking Coal. The museum has done a tour of Franklin, but i don't believe once a month, in fact they did one recently. Depending on which way you come from, you either can drive in to a certain point (once you've gotten permission though) and walk to the mine... or i think the other way you can only walk in. i haven't been in that way myself though. Let me know if I've been any help!

If you park along the road by the Green River Gorge Bridge, you can walk in to the site without any need for permission, as the acess and site itself are on King County Parks property. That's the route I took to visit Franklin a couple of years ago.
    Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

Quote Originally Posted by troopjl View Post
    i have recently heard of Franklin ad I am very interested in photographing it for a project I am working on. I Noticed in the description of it that permission has to be obtained from the Gun Club or Gas drilling company that is active on the land. Does anybody know the name of the club or the company so I can talk to them. I would like to start shooting the pictures as soon as possible.

Thank you for any Information,

Tex
    Hi Tex, how did you get on with the photography? Wanted to do a similar thing to you and was just wondering if you needed to arrange anything or if you just parked up like fairline said. Thanks

Hey, can anyone post a bit more about this place? I'm going to be out on the west coast and down into the south-west this coming summer and I'd like to see if I should put this on my itinerary

Darrell Bray
    DC Hotel
    Washington DC

There is a number of errors in the Franklin listing. One, the accident was a fire in the mine, which happened on August 24th 1894. Two, the town did not close until about 1920 when it became easier to live in Black Diamond, and work at Franklin thanks to cars. Coal mining continued into the 50's, I think. Third, the foundation shown at the bottom of the page was the power plant. Four, most of the land is owned by Washington State Parks. It's actually not part of Hanging Gardens, but its own seperate park, according to the park ranger at Flaming Gyser State Park. The only part that is not on public property is the north part of the town site, which is owned by Palmer Coke and Coal, which bought out much of the Pacific Coast Company land when they went into receivership in the thirties. Since the site is on Washington State Parks land, no motorized vehicle use is allowed. Parking is a bit of an issue. When I visit, I park by the cemetary just off the Green River Gorge road (which has a nice view into the gorge, by the way), then walk to the trailhead. The town was orginally built by the Oregon Improvement Company sometime in the 1880's, and was badly managed until Pacific Coast Coal Company bought it and did a good job managing it. The mismanagment of OIC was partly to blame for the deaths resulting from the fire, as they shut off the fan to save the coal and the miners suffocated. There has been speculation that the fire was delilberatly set by one of the miners that was killed. You can find head stones in the cemetary dating to the fire.
    Last edited by Davidw; 02-05-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Clarification

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I was told that all the buildings were covered over by trees and shrubs and are just mounds of dirt that are now the shape of the structures. Is this true or was I in the wrong place???

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    I was told that all the buildings were covered over by trees and shrubs and are just mounds of dirt that are now the shape of the structures. Is this true or was I in the wrong place???
    No buildings remain at all. At least some of the houses were moved to Red Town in Newcastle. The rest may have been torn down, and the materials used elsewhere.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
    -Groucho Marx

My Photos

My Photo Blog

Go Geocaching: www.geocaching.com

This is a set of all my photos of Franklin that I have on Flickr.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
    -Groucho Marx

My Photos

My Photo Blog

Go Geocaching: www.geocaching.com

Thread Information