Thread: who knowes were I can finf the Ghosttown Jacksonboro, GA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question who knowes were I can finf the Ghosttown Jacksonboro, GA

I really want to see a ghosttown, and we are on vacation in the us, ( we are from Europe, the Netherlands) in the month oct. I read about the Ghosttown Jacksonboro ( or borough) 24,5 miles of Sylvania, we are doing Ga, SC and NC, can someone tell me were I can find Jacksonboro? And is it worth it to visit it?
    thnx Tilly

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Misty: Flatiron, from out back. says HI...He's visiting Soonerland. I understand you will visit from the Netherlands in October. The Netherlands is what Johnnie and Flatiron call Oklahoma. You can imagine what they call Georgia...If you will Google GNIS for Jacksonboro, GA, and proceed from there, you will know even more than Flatiron knows. Amazing stuff, Huh?? Seriously, give it a shot, and holler back if you have a question. In the meantime, have a great trip!!!! OJ

Blythewood,SC.,Isle of Palms,SC., Midlothian,VA.,Slat Lake City,UT.

Default NC Ghosttowns

Brunswick Town,S.of Wilmington,N.C. is a great ghost in SE NC.Wilmington,itself has a lot to offer the visitor.Visit the battleship North Carolina right nxt.to downtown.Gives the European the picture of the industrial might and spirit that allowed the Americans to save the civilized world from fascism.Touring a dead battleship is a kind of ghost town experience.Touring the backroads of E. and SE N.C.,you will run up on little near-dead towns that never recovered from the great depression.Savannah is a spooky kind of non-ghost.Take the ghost tour,you'll understand.We even got a spectral image in a broad daylight photo in the oldest town cemetary.The Mercer house is a must.Visit the two old forts out to the East.Pulaski is a great old ghost fort.Charleston,Beaufort,etc,you'll love.Shame you can't get down to St.Augustine.Enjoy the "cheap"gas.I live in E.VA and travel the region a lot.Get off the interstate and soak up America.
    Last edited by ghamilton; 08-23-2005 at 05:26 PM.

Whereat in the Netherlands? My Mom's from the Hague.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Default thnx

thnx for the information.Old judge, I tried all that and got a lot of places were it should be.
    And Hamilton, do you know our route? hihi All the places you are talking about we are visiting, even st Augustine. You are good!!
    thank you all
    And if you can help me more, please feel free to let me know
    Tilly

Default Ne Florida

Just West of St.Aug.,Hastings has a ghost town feel to the old part.In SA,take in Old St.Augustine village.It is a collection of old home and bldgs.from different eras.The ones built by Canova are great-plus I'm related to them.Right nxt door is the Lightner Museum in one of the great old hotels.Walk across the street to the former Ponce de Leon Hotel.the interior is really something to see.Down the pedestrian mall that is now St.George Street you will find a leather shop run by a sweet Dutch lady.Can't miss it.The Columbian resteraunt nearbyby is great.At the Eastern end of the main plaza,on the South side is a large bldg that has a pretty good Cuban Resteraunt called Havana Village..They have live music of the latin variety,atleast on weekends.The Castillio gives a good idea of how much fun it was not,to be in old St.Aug.,just waiting for the English to drop in and burn the town.If you spend the night there,I strongly recomend the Monterrey Inn,right on the bay front,Family run,clean and reasonable.You can park there and walk to anything.When you leave Sav.,take us 17 South,instead of 95.When you see the sign for Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge,go left and visit a ghost air field of WWII.Drive into Brunswick,Ga if time allows.You'll feel slightly funky on 17,it is a step back in time.The abandoned motels,etc,give a feel of a former time before freeways.In Jacksonville,there is a lot to see,but I'll not bore you further.Good luck.But one more thing-BE sure to drive down A1A from SA to atleast Marineland,see Ft.Matanzas.The beach down that way is fabulous and wild looking.If you go to old St.Aug.village-ask for Art.He is the head man and a pure delight.Tell him a Canova relative and a cousin of Mrs.Smallwood sent you.(she is a writer and historian in the county West of Jax-Baker).If you want a taste of old Fla,vist the Heritage Park in the county seat of MacClenney.They have an unreal set of bldgs there,including the LAST blockhouse from the Seminole Wars.The history there is something to see,plus my father's name is on a monument there.Any more questions about the area-e mail me @ kodiac@chunga.net.I was there 2 weeks ago.
    Last edited by ghamilton; 08-24-2005 at 03:17 AM.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Tilly: You hit the Jackpot with Hamilton. Guy should be a tour guide. Just a thought, and a little off subject, but the most lasting memory I have of a Spring spent in the Brunswick, GA area, is a day spent with friends in a small boat on the Okefenokee Swamp. OJ

Smile thnx for thinking with me

What a nice people here, it is fun to be here.
    Guy, we don't go down after Sa. but up to Charleston, so no Jacksonville for us.
    Our route will be rough? Atlanta, Louisville ,Savannah, Charleston then we drive up to Salsibury NC were we will stay with relatives for a week then we fly to Orlando, and drive to st Augustine,and ten we drive around Flo. also stay with relatives, and fly back from Miami.
    When this vacation is over I need a vacation hihi
    Tilly

Default Miami

Dutch lady,have you been to Miami before?If you haven't and have a day don't miss VIZCAYA,a most amazing mansion.It's been in a lot of movies( if you see the brochure for the house,grab some,it's a dollar off inside).Fairchild Tropical Gardens is a must see.The "other" Deering home open to the public further to the South is unique and worth the visit.Even has an Indian burial mound on the property.A great officer on that property named Eduardo really made it come alive.Ask for him.Ocean Dr.is great for watching beautiful Europeans(although you probably just need to look in the mirror) and various South American beauties of both sexes.My wife still talks about a bartender at Mangos-and we don't even drink.The drive up and down Collins Ave is a REAL trip.Lincoln Road is one of the best places in the world just to hang out.By the way,you can still drive on the beach by St.Aug.That is a hoot.If you still have 10 minutes left,drive down to Key Largo,close but a world away.I'm a military history nut,so I love Charleston.The forts and Patriot Point Naval displays never bore me.By the way,FLYING J travel plazas are the best places to stop for your roadside needs.If you do visit one and decide to do so again,ask for their rewards card.You'll save 1 penney min.per gallon of our grossly over-priced petrol.
    Last edited by ghamilton; 08-24-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Thread Information