Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treasure hunting laws

Default Treasure hunting laws

I know this is a subject that is just about worn out but I have not seen this facet discussed. I know that if a person stumbled across the loot from a 100+ year old robbery on public land it would be illegal to take it. What if it is found on private property? Do state and federal antiquity acts reach on to private property?
    Max

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The 1906 Act clearly applies to Government land or Government controlled land. If Flatiron and I stumble across $250,000.00 in 100 year old stolen bank loot while we're out nosin' around on Government controlled land, there's liable to be a little ethics checkin' goin' on. I know Flatiron would turn all that loot in without a second thought, but he might do it over my dead body. If we're on private property, of course we would notify the owner of the find, I think.........OJ

Hafta appreciate honesty!!

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Depends on how hard it would be to liquidate it

I think I'd cough it up, save for a few "souvenirs" for later days. It'd be hard to move a large amount of old money without someone eventually noticing. Then again, there is Ebay........

pocatello,idaho...land of milk and honey!

Talking loot

where yheres a will theres a way......just gotta keep yer head on...
    ghostriderghostriderghostriderghostrider

Now come on old judge, remember you swore to uphold the law. Truefully, Im not sure what to do. I like to think of myself as honest, but still being out of work and times being so tough?????

Quote Originally Posted by old judge View Post
    The 1906 Act clearly applies to Government land or Government controlled land. If Flatiron and I stumble across $250,000.00 in 100 year old stolen bank loot while we're out nosin' around on Government controlled land, there's liable to be a little ethics checkin' goin' on. I know Flatiron would turn all that loot in without a second thought, but he might do it over my dead body. If we're on private property, of course we would notify the owner of the find, I think.........OJ
    How is it if you move the finding to Publuc Land and find it again?
    They may not had Bills,200 Years ago

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Ummmmm...

Interesting thought....But if I were metal detecting and came up on some old loot, to heck with them, it's mine !

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

You gotta weigh the pro's and cons.

Morality issue aside:

If it's gold coins of unusual rarity, questions are gonna be asked. You'd have to melt them down or find a way to put them on the black market to avoid scrutiny.
    Same with bills with serials, or in something like confederate money.

Unloading them 1 by 1 on ebay might keep you under the radar, or travelling around different large cities to sell them one at a time might do you ok.

But if you found a big cache, you got touch choices to make. Declare the treasure, split it with the state or feds? Make more money ultimately because you can then proclaim a story behind the find...such as "This is one of the $20 bills from John Dillinger's lost cache".

(Cause you know that 1930's money is gonna be worth a LOT more in a showcase if it has a certificate of authenticity about the connection with Dillinger than a regular old 1930's bill.)

Or, if it's in gold or whatnot, melt it down? Gold is high right now, maybe, (to you,) the metal $$$ is worth more than it's historical value.

Thread Information