Thread: "Eagle City Idaho"

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Cool "Eagle City Idaho"

A long time friend of mine that lives in the
    Coeur 'd Alene area just contacted me yesterday and informed me that one of his friends, that is a well know author and old west histororian in Idaho would like to get intouch with me, and help him with his project about The Murray Stage Co. owned by my Grandfather. Arthur G. Randall has already published a book on the Historical "Eagle City" and is titled Eagle City pride of the Coer d' Alenes. We hope Mr. Randall would give us the pleasure of joining us on ghosttowns.com bulleting board and keep us informed of any new publications on the old west.

My good friend Bob, in Idaho also informed me that in the next week their group is planning a trip to the historical site of "Eagle City" and look over the aera, which by the way is just a stone throw from what is now the Historical Mining Town of Murray, Idaho.

We historians already know that "Eagle City" may have been just another mining town in the Coer d' Alenes if it wasn't for one of the early residents. The famouse Wyatt Earp, Yes he did make it onto the pages of the local newspaper in his short stay in the Murray area.

About two months ago i was talking with another historian Chuck Parsons, and agreed to write an artical on my Grandfather and some history on Wyatt Earp, and Eagle City, and Murray that has been pass over to me by my relatives over the years. and planning to do some more articals for old west magazines soon and add some of my early Eagle City and Murray photographs to the articals.

There is so much history in and around the Coeur d' Alenes that should be retold, not only about Wyatt, and his brothers aventures, but there was another very colorful pioneer that migrated to Murray Idaho. The famouse Molly B' Damm who was another early residents of Murray that traveled west in 1877. Molly first adventure, landed her in the famouse mining town of Virgina City, Nevada; And then Molly, went onto San francisco, for a short stay and then migrated to Portland Or. and then joined the rest of the gold seekers and traveled eastward to Murray Idaho, in 1884. And as soon as she arrived in Murray, Molly, flash like a "Diamond" in the rough, And for good, or for evil she was respected by everyone for her kindness, and was a angel to sick and suffering, but was also admired by everyone for her exquisite beauty. But there were others who made it into the pages of our history books. and will be retold soon, in my upcoming articals.

From the Desk of
    Johnnie and Sheila
    Old West Historians and Researchers
    Last edited by Johnnie; 10-11-2005 at 03:36 AM.

Post Eagle City & Local Mining Town History

About 4 weeks ago I wrote about old west newspapers, and some of its history, on the category of (Comments/ suggestions) In this early form of communcation there was only 3 ways of keeping informed of current events, the other two ways was word of mouth and being an eye witness. The Native Americans wrote and drew on the side of rocks to relate their everyday life experiences but later on adoped the newspaper concept also.

As Sheila and i were looking over our archives is when we came across some interesting tidbits, hidden away on the pages of some of these old west newspapers. In a copy of the "Wargner News" which is just one many of may old mining and supply towns in the Coure d' Alenes mining district we found a newspaper dated March 14, 1907, In one artical it stated that pennies were introduced for the first time in Wargner in a business transactions and also stated in the artical that W. F. Goddard auction was responsible for the affair, as all the goods were marked with odd prices, rendering pennies almost a necessity in making change.

"Businessmen deplore the affair and refuse to accept the coins when customers came into their stores, and finaly gathered up what they could of these pennies and shipped them off to the banks in other nearby mining camps.

The game of Billards was one of many pass times in the mining camps, and some times was front page news as was this day in 1907 it was stated that in Thero F. Jamesons billards parlor the local tournament to date were; sink 24 and 22; Schreiber, 26, 29, 32; C. E. Ferguson, 34.

And on another page the weather was a big story the paper quoted H. J. Reed, manager of the Monitor mine near Saltese, Montana which is on the Idaho-Montana border was having a severe week of snow storms, and was the worsed in his memory, he said that many cabins were covered with snow to the top of the roofs, and 18ft. telephone poles also were covered with only the tip of the poles showing, in some places and the shipments of ore were being hampered also, And that horses were even wearing snowshoes, and it was difficult finding feed for the teams.

Maybe later on when we get some more time we will post more tidbits of history hidden in the pages of some of these old west newspapers.

Your Fellow Ghosttowner and Historians
    Johnnie and sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 09-16-2005 at 06:22 AM.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Looking forward to more. This GTin' can be a bumpy road, but persistence pays. OJ

Default Bumps in the road

Quote Originally Posted by old judge
    Looking forward to more. This GTin' can be a bumpy road, but persistence pays. OJ
    Yes! your right O. J. persistence does pay off.

Sheila & Johnnie
    Last edited by Johnnie; 09-17-2005 at 05:22 AM.

Hello, very neat history! I was wondering if you, or know how to get any history on Enaville Idaho. This is not far from from Murry. Im sure you are aware of the location. I cannot find much on the web, and Im sure there are those out there who have great knowlege. Thanks alot!!

Default Eagle City ID

I own 42 acres in the middle of what was Eagle City, Idaho which we turned into a public gold prospecting park. Always looking for any and all history about the area. Would like to see what info you may have. I am the founder and publisher (Nugget News) of the NorthWest Gold Prospectors Association. Thanks.....Bob Lowe

www.goldfeverminingsupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    A long time friend of mine that lives in the
    Coeur 'd Alene area just contacted me yesterday and informed me that one of his friends, that is a well know author and old west histororian in Idaho would like to get intouch with me, and help him with his project about The Murray Stage Co. owned by my Grandfather. Arthur G. Randall has already published a book on the Historical "Eagle City" and is titled Eagle City pride of the Coer d' Alenes. We hope Mr. Randall would give us the pleasure of joining us on ghosttowns.com bulleting board and keep us informed of any new publications on the old west.

My good friend Bob, in Idaho also informed me that in the next week their group is planning a trip to the historical site of "Eagle City" and look over the aera, which by the way is just a stone throw from what is now the Historical Mining Town of Murray, Idaho.

We historians already know that "Eagle City" may have been just another mining town in the Coer d' Alenes if it wasn't for one of the early residents. The famouse Wyatt Earp, Yes he did make it onto the pages of the local newspaper in his short stay in the Murray area.

About two months ago i was talking with another historian Chuck Parsons, and agreed to write an artical on my Grandfather and some history on Wyatt Earp, and Eagle City, and Murray that has been pass over to me by my relatives over the years. and planning to do some more articals for old west magazines soon and add some of my early Eagle City and Murray photographs to the articals.

There is so much history in and around the Coeur d' Alenes that should be retold, not only about Wyatt, and his brothers aventures, but there was another very colorful pioneer that migrated to Murray Idaho. The famouse Molly B' Damm who was another early residents of Murray that traveled west in 1877. Molly first adventure, landed her in the famouse mining town of Virgina City, Nevada; And then Molly, went onto San francisco, for a short stay and then migrated to Portland Or. and then joined the rest of the gold seekers and traveled eastward to Murray Idaho, in 1884. And as soon as she arrived in Murray, Molly, flash like a "Diamond" in the rough, And for good, or for evil she was respected by everyone for her kindness, and was a angel to sick and suffering, but was also admired by everyone for her exquisite beauty. But there were others who made it into the pages of our history books. and will be retold soon, in my upcoming articals.

From the Desk of
    Johnnie and Sheila
    Old West Historians and Researchers

Thread Information