Thread: northern utah ghost towns or mining sites

Default northern utah ghost towns or mining sites

Does anyone know of some, and by some I mean any, good ghost towns or mining sites in northern utah.

Fitzy,

Email me offlist at ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com. I organized the 2004 Ghost Town Rally based in Springville, Utah.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Default Northern Utah

Hey Fitzy - what do you consider Northern Utah?? Salt Lake and North? Utah County? There are lots of Ghost Town sites, but I need to know what area you are looking at visiting.

By the way, there are no decent Ghost Towns left in Utah.

Default Cache County

Bob, I am looking for information on specificaly Cache County, I am trying to find info on a supposed mining camp in blacksmith fork canyon. I have searched through local history at the library and all I can find is that there was one. I also know of La Plata but that is all. thanks for your help

Cool Cache Co., Utah Ghost Towns

The mines up Blacksmith Fork created some excitment around the same time as the rush to La Plata in 1891 and 1892. After the discovery of Silver around La Plata prospectors started combing the surrounding mountains. Since the main trail up to La Plata initially went from Hyrum through Blacksmith Fork, Blacksmith Fork became a prime area to prospect. Several mines were located around this time up the North Fork, or Lefthand Fork of Blacksmith Fork Canyon on Boulder Mountain (about 3.5 miles past the Spring Picnic area). Some ore was reported to have been worth $1,000 per ton. Since there were several mines in the area, a small mining camp was formed in the bottom of the Canyon. As far as I know, it was never given a name other than the Blacksmith Fork mines. Interest in the area didn't last long, as the main discoveries, the Nielson Mine and the Chicago Mine didn't pan out.

Periodically after that , especially in 1897, 1907 and around 1917 reports were circulated of further discoveries in the area. The Lucky Star Mine, originally the Nielson Mine, made some production in 1897 and again around 1907 to 1917. Other mines in the area were the Bluebell, Queen of the Hills, and the Ogden Mine.

During each of these periods, prospectors rushed to the area to continue looking for additional mining prospects. The area at the bottom of the canyon again would turn into a small camp consisting mostly of tents and small shacks.

That is about all that I know of the Blacksmith Fork mines.

Cool More Cache Co. Ghosts

In addition to La Plata and Blacksmith Fork, there was also other mining activity in the area. In 1891 with the rush on to La Plata, which reported had 1,500 inhabitants in the fall of 1891, several satelite camps were formed.

One was called Mound City, about two miles east of La Plata at the base of Sharp Mountain, near some mines discovered there consisted of over 40 teams or groups of miners.

Monte Christo, originally called Middle Fork, was laid out as a competitor to La Plata along the Middle Fork road just south of the Weber/Cache County line. It was hoped, by Ogden interests, to become the main center for the La Plata mining area. Several lots were sold, and some miners moved into the "town." but not much became of it.

Red Rock, about two miles west of La Plata was formed on Red Rock Creek. It was deemed a more suitible site for a town that La Plata. It was a place of some importance during the fall and winter of 1891/2 as La Plata itself was growing in that direction.

By the summer of 1892, the rush to La Plata was over. Only a few mines were deemed profitable and continued working. As a result, the boosters and promoters of the other small camps either left for Porcupine and Buster Cities to the Southwest, moved into La Plata itself, or left the area altogether.

Cool Last of the Cache Ghosts

Two other forgotten Ghosttowns in Cache county are worth mentioning. they are Porcupine City and Buster City. In the spring of 1892, after the excitement of the summer before at La Plata, prospectors ranging out from La Plata discovered paying amounts of silver lead and copper about 16 miles southwest on the slopes of James Mountain and up Public Grove Canyon. Two sister mining camps were quickly formed. Porcupine city at the foot of James Mountain, and Buster City in Public Grove Canyon. They quickly replaced the excitement in Ogden and Logan from the year before, and were promptly proclamed to be "Utah's New-Found Eldorado." The two camps grew simultaneously.

In May of 1892, predictions were that Buster City would soon have a population of 500 as soon as word got out about the discovery. Mines like the Suprise, Leghorn, Boulder, and Homestake reputedly had several hundred tons of ore in sight and ready for shipment to smelters. By the end of May over 75 men were at work in the mines, while dwelling houses and stores were being built. Stage routes from both Logan and Ogden were quickly put in.

At Porcupine City just two miles to the east the Primrose mine was said to have a fine vein of copper oxide assaying 63% copper, 8 ounces of silver and $5 in gold. Other mines being developed in the area were the Ellis McC, with a shaft already 25 feet down, the Florence, Mary A. Alexander, Yellow Hammer, Silent Friend, Browning, Blue-Eyed Nell, Silver Tip, and the Anata among others. One company, the Porcupine Mining and Milling Company had a force of 25 men working in their mines.

During the Summer and Fall of 1892 reports were bright for both camps as hopes for the future of mining in the area were high. By late fall however, it was found that the ore was of a geneally poor quality and the veins shallow. By the time of the first snow, the excitement was over, and for all intents and purposes, extensive mining in the area ceased. Only scattered propecting small time mining has taken place in the area since.

Default now I know why

whew I heard that you were a tomb of knowledge, but wow!! thank you this gives me some excellent places, and references to jump on. thank you

Just read this thread as I live in Utah now. On our map hardly any towns are posted. Anyone else have knowledge of Utah ghosttowns?

Thread Information