Thread: Photos of the "Pony Express Museum"

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Cool Photos of the "Pony Express Museum"

We are still looking for our collection of 17 photos, but we could only locate 3 at this time of this very historical site. The museum is "history now." But back in the 1940s and 1950, this landmark was listed on every map of htorical sites to visit when a tourist came to Southern California. But if you had pick up a map dated after 1955 you may have missed directions and the opportunity of visiting a real treasure trove of items, collected all over the west that the residents of Arcadia, California had in their home town next to the Famouse Santa Anita Race Track. Yes! there were other historical sites to visit here in California, like the famouse "Knotts Berry Farm," and Corriganville, in Ventura County California, where hundreds of western films were made, But Bob Hope, saved the failing movie ranch by buying up what was left of Corriganville. But it too is history. In 1953 I had the privilege of visiting this very historical landmark before it too dissapeared, "Huell Howser" did a 30 minute special on his "California Gold Series" back a couple years ago and is really worth checking out, and is still available on video and also can be found in California Librarys on this very historical California, landmark of Corriganville. When I was there in 1953 I had my 8mm camera with me and filmed some of area in and around Corriganville, not knowing at the time how significant my film would be some 50 years later. How i wish i had filmed more, but in those days a roll of film was only 10 minutes long and not cheap to buy and develop, how i wish i had a "cam corder" then, I would have filmed hours of these very historicals sites that my family and I visted as a kid, But when I started to visit these old ghost towns starting in the mid 1950s we knew then that these treasures of the old west would soon disapear from our Americana Landscape if we did not get to them soon, and document on film what we knew might not be there in the next 5 years. But there was many others historians in the 1920s and 1930s that knew that these old historicals sites should be documented on film also, and took the time to go out to these remote areas and put on film what these towns look like then. I aquired over the years some of these historical films on video's and have "dubbed" into my own 8mm film along with other ghost town film documentrys.

With Todds,help we finally get to share some of our photos and also want to thank Todd, for getting my Avatar up on my post which by the way is of me in Ballarat California in 1963 cooking our viddles, by one of the remaining adobe ruins. Sheila and I we have some of my (Pony Express Museum) photos up on this web site so others can enjoy seeing what some of these very Historical Landmarks look like in the bygone days. We hope to find time to look for more of these historical photos and share them also, So our fellowghosttners, don't have to take trip to the library and check out a book to see what some of these great old ghost towns look like back when these brave pioneers called these historicals sites home.

To view these photos of the Famouse "Pony Express Museum" go to the top of the bulletin board where it says (search) and type in Pony Express Museum and when that page comes up scroll down to the bottom of the page that says simiular theads and click on the one dated 11-14 02 and you can read about the history of the "Pony Express Museum" and at the bottom of the post there is a open space, That is where the photos will appear but give it time to load up and Enjoy!!!

Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 10-27-2005 at 05:29 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    We are still looking for our collection of 17 photos, but we could only locate 3 at this time of this very historical site. The museum is "history now." But back in the 1940s and 1950, this landmark was listed on every map of htorical sites to visit when a tourist came to Southern California. But if you had pick up a map dated after 1955 you may have missed directions and the opportunity of visiting a real treasure trove of items, collected all over the west that the residents of Arcadia, California had in their home town next to the Famouse Santa Anita Race Track. Yes! there were other historical sites to visit here in California, like the famouse "Knotts Berry Farm," and Corriganville, in Ventura County California, where hundreds of western films were made, But Bob Hope, saved the failing movie ranch by buying up what was left of Corriganville. But it too is history. In 1953 I had the privilege of visiting this very historical landmark before it too dissapeared, "Huell Howser" did a 30 minute special on his "California Gold Series" back a couple years ago and is really worth checking out, and is still available on video and also can be found in California Librarys on this very historical California, landmark of Corriganville. When I was there in 1953 I had my 8mm camera with me and filmed some of area in and around Corriganville, not knowing at the time how significant my film would be some 50 years later. How i wish i had filmed more, but in those days a roll of film was only 10 minutes long and not cheap to buy and develop, how i wish i had a "cam corder" then, I would have filmed hours of these very historicals sites that my family and I visted as a kid, But when I started to visit these old ghost towns starting in the mid 1950s we knew then that these treasures of the old west would soon disapear from our Americana Landscape if we did not get to them soon, and document on film what we knew might not be there in the next 5 years. But there was many others historians in the 1920s and 1930s that knew that these old historicals sites should be documented on film also, and took the time to go out to these remote areas and put on film what these towns look like then. I aquired over the years some of these historical films on video's and have "dubbed" into my own 8mm film along with other ghost town film documentrys.

With Todds,help we finally get to share some of our photos and also want to thank Todd, for getting my Avatar up on my post which by the way is of me in Ballarat California in 1963 cooking our viddles, by one of the remaining adobe ruins. Sheila and I we have some of my (Pony Express Museum) photos up on this web site so others can enjoy seeing what some of these very Historical Landmarks look like in the bygone days. We hope to find time to look for more of these historical photos and share them also, So our fellowghosttners, don't have to take trip to the library and check out a book to see what some of these great old ghost towns look like back when these brave pioneers called these historicals sites home.

To view these photos of the Famouse "Pony Express Museum" go to the top of the bulletin board where it says (search) and type in Pony Express Museum and when that page comes up scroll down to the bottom of the page that says simiular theads and click on the one dated 11-14 02 and you can read about the history of the "Pony Express Museum" and at the bottom of the post there is a open space, That is where the photos will appear but give it time to load up and Enjoy!!!

Johnnie & Sheila
    This is old post from several years ago but a friend of mine out of state just got on line this week so we wanted repost this information on this very interesting Historical Landmark, because he was having a problem finding any thing out in his area of the country on the Pony Express Meseum,

Many of the the new ghosttowners might enjoy reading also about this Southern Calcifornia landmark also.

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Johnny & Sheila, Thank you! Nice write up and great old pictures! You guys should really have all those 8mm movies made into one DVD so you could share/sell then on the GT forum. They'd be fun to watch and learn from. I haven't found many videos or DVDs relating to the exploration of and history GTs.
    Here's the link to your original post of 11-14-02.
    Very nice!

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

oops 's'cuz me, I just bumped into something on the long road here

Wink Pony Express Museum

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Johnny & Sheila, Thank you! Nice write up and great old pictures! You guys should really have all those 8mm movies made into one DVD so you could share/sell then on the GT forum. They'd be fun to watch and learn from. I haven't found many videos or DVDs relating to the exploration of and history GTs.
    Here's the link to your original post of 11-14-02.
    Very nice!

Thanks Laura, for finding those old pictures and posting that link,

We also have to thank Todd, for his for his contribution and taking time out of his busy schedule to help Sheila and I share these old photosgraphs and this very interesting part of Southern California history in the 1940s and 50s.

Maybe someday when we get some time we can figure out how to put these onto a DVD but this bulletin board is the next best thing for now.

Thanks again Laura
    Johnnie & Sheila

Also wanted to apologise for that other "Junk Mail Spammersl" that proceeded our posting it was one of those posts that slip by the moderators in 02, and never was deleted unfortunately.
    Last edited by Johnnie; 09-18-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Thread Information