Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civilian Conservation Corps - built structures

Default Civilian Conservation Corps - built structures

Would like to know of CCC-built structures (intact or standing ruins) that you have come across in your state. Also, if you are in New England - I am looking for more examples of headquarter's buildings. We know there's one on Bear Mt. in NH. Of the 28 camps that were in N.VT, I'm guessing there must be some there. The other structures that I have seen and recorded include fireponds, bridges, drainage ditches, and an incinerator from one of the camps. I have visited the stone museum in People's State Forest and the pavillion at Rocky Neck. Just learned of some structures that are located in City Park, New London.

Default Come on out to Las Vegas

Come on out to Las Vegas and Iíll make ya a map of all sorts of CCC structures and spring developments, and roads around Las Vegas. The CCC built a couple camps, one up int a Forested Canyon the Army Air Corp used for R&R of training personnel a the Army Gunnery School (Now Nellis AFB) during WWII. I know a couple ruins just over a little hill from a road few know of and can even show you the CCC drills they left in the rock on a road they were constructing on Friday, then managed to ****** off a visiting FDR on a Saturday when he asked em where the road was going and they said something flippant like nowhere important and they never went back. The area is now in a Wilderness Area but it is only a 2/4 mile walk in late spring through about now but the first real storm will mean youíll need snowshoes. Iíve been told that all the old CCC records are located someplace in Tennessee associated with the Tennessee Valley Authority but havenít had time to follow up on it.
    Yet Another Bob

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'll take you up on that map Bob. Always looking for new history I've seen quite a few of the dams built by them in some of the weirdest places. Kind of makes you wonder why they bothered.

I know the CCC did quite a bit up around the Northern half of the state as well. Even outside Elko there is a road aptly named the CCC Road.

Default CC Springs has some work

Hi Gary

CC Springs has some CCC work, the Forest Service visitor center in Kyle canyon and that area was a CCC project taken up by the Army Air Corp during WWII, Go to Grassy Springs on the dirt road and stop at the head of the springs and walk West over a little 10 foot rise. There is another small spring with CCC work about a half mile from there but Iíll need to show you that on a map. Go to the end of the Harris Springs Road where it stops at the Wilderness Boundary, walk about half a mile up the trail (The road in construction when they ****** off FDR) and where starts to get narrow, look in the rock on the right for those embedded drills.
    Camp Pitman was the big CCC camp in Lee Canyon, it is now used by the county for youth activities. There was another great CCC camp on the high ground up from St Thomas and they did lots of improvements to Lake Mead as well (Read McBrideís Book on the CCC around the Lake and dam for details.) Have a big Gran Prix Motorcycle race in Searchlight this weekend to keep me busy but drop me an email (Iíll send ya my phone number here at Lockheed and a time next week when I may not be too busy).
    Yet Another Bob

Default Lost City Museum

I really regret not being able to explore any remains of CCC Camps or work projects in NV. I did visit the Lost City Museum, which was built by the C's. Last year I spoke to some State Parks staff at Fort Churchill - the C's did some restorations to the fort. I did have a printout of CCC camps/projects for NV from the alumni website, www.cccalumni.org . Don't know how accurate the NV listings are, but the one's for CT have numerous errors (the dates and locations are a real mess). I've just finished making most of the corrections and then will forward them to the National Association of CCC Alumni. Last thing I need to do is verify the nearest RR and the post office used by each camp. The listings of the locations are problematic because technically, none of the CCC Camps were located in towns per se. The reference to towns according to the location would be border towns and/or the parts of the original town(s) that were acquired for federal or state parks/forests. In NV, besides these lands it looks like there were many camps located on other types of federal and state lands - such as Federal Reclamation and public domain. A quick synopsis for NV there were 76 camps - including 3 in the Vegas area. There were 3 on the Naval Reservation in Hawthorne. Looks like only 12 NV camps were in either a State or National Park or Forest.

As far as CCC records - any National Parks/Forest records are in the National Archives. TVA ran many state park's camps. Whatever agency/department oversaw the administration of the camp - records would be in their archives. State Parks/Forest records may be retained by that agency. A forest supervisor here in CT just recovered most of the CCC State Parks records for the eastern part of CT. She found them in the attic of the State Park's Eastern Distict regional office headquarters. And she believes the one's for the western part of the state may have been thrown out at some point.

Every time I have a chance I have been going through these records and they are amazing to read. Mostly, they are correspondence between the State Forester, Austin Hawes and the camp administrators. They offer a lot of insight into the camp projects, personnel issues - everything. I just found a file from the 1936 flood here in CT. Several CCC Camps aided in disaster relief from that flood. Besides saving people's lives and livestock - they cleaned and disinfected nearly 3,000 homes and were involved with clean-up at every level.

Of all the animal carcasses (cows, pigs, chickens, cat, dogs, etc) they buried more rabbits than any other animal. I thought more pigs would have perished, but maybe pigs really can fly.

I work in a CCC Museum btw is why I am always looking for info on CCC camps. Hoping to do a public program about the floods which these newly-found records really clarified info. All we had were newspaper articles, some photos and oral history.

Trying to document all the remaining structures, projects and standing ruins just for CT alone is an arduous task. I have bits and pieces from what I have found and what is already documented. Our museum is located in the headquarter's building from CCC Camp Conner in Stafford Springs, CT. This building is all that's left from this camp. But the projects from the camp -like a road that was constructed to the top of Soapstone MT in Somers, and the establishment of a MT Laurel Sanctuary in Union are still maintained, etc.

I'm working on a website for the CCC Museum and will have photos up then. I had catalogued a lot of lantern slides a few years back and I'll be making prints from these. Great stuff - like the C's building a charcoal kiln. There's a few from after the '36 flood, there was a ceremnoy at the State Capitol in Hartford where then Gov., Wilbur Cross was honoring the CCC's for their disaster relief work. In the letters I recently read from the file, Austin Hawes had made a reference to the less than adequate reporting of the C's work in the local newspapers.

Other files revealed many contraversies -there are clues that the C's were despised by the general public - mainly because the requirements for enrollment (between the ages of 17-25 and single) the married and/or older men who were out of work were very resentful. Early on in the program, enrollees had to be from families who were getting relief. To add to the tension, camps in CT and other states were integrated. Other states had segregated and black only camps.

Even during the flood I read that 15 CCC's were struggling to open the hand draw of the Portland/Middletown bridge (over the CT River) and of the many bystanders - none offered to assist.

Anyway, back to the structures, many of us who have seen these can easily recognize the constructions techiques used by the C's and the WPA. Oh - for NV I missed going out to Cherry Creek...I heard there may be something out there if anyone's been?

Any stories - like the one about the road construction and the crew's remarks to FDR, I love to know of those. We get visitors from all over the country and they love the CCC lore.

Pam

Default CCC stuff in Nevada

Sorry, just checked the net and my email early before leaving for a day buit I collect information on ghosts towns in Nevada and old CCC camps cover my broad definition of a abandoned locale. I'm always interest in supplementing my recirds. I have a couple CCC newsletters. If you were at Lost CC did you pick up a copy of Dennis McBrides book on the CCC activities around Lake Mead which included the Lost City Work, some basic structures at Valley of Fire and several sites arounbd Lake Mead. When things slow down around the holidays I'll dig out some of my stuff and cotact ya, Sadly I confined my research to Nevada area but do have some good sources. Got to run, your friend in Nevada
    Yet Another Bob

Thanks Bob! We have a good amount of Western memorabilia in our collection - mostly from CT CCC boys who were enrolled in camps there. Seems like we have more from CO than any other state. NV is definetly under-represented among the collections. What camps are the newsletters you hvae from? Are they the 'Happy Days' publications? I'm definetly going to get the book you mentioned. I don't believe we have that one and I did not see it at the museum. I had asked the girl that was there about the CCC and she had no info to offer - didn't even tell me the building was built by the C's! I didn't even know that until more recently. We had seen the museum on our way to the dam and stopped in on the way back.
    In any case, it is so great to see a ghost town enthusiast who considers other historic sites, such as the CCC projects. I certainly have my favorite types of historic sites (Rev. War-era forts, lighthouses, etc.) and almost every historic (and prehistoric site) interests me.
    Look forward to hearing back from you when you have a chance! Pam

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Bob-

I stayed at the CCC camp in Lee Canyon in 5th grade as a school camp out. Kind of like a big Boy/Girl Scouts deal but with the entire 5th grade class for 3 days. Was fun to see fellow kids who had never been in the "big wilderness" react to their new surroundings

podunklander-

Which Cherry Creek? For some reason Cherry Creek/Spring was a very popular name to use back in the day. I know of at least 10 Cherry Creeks/Springs and I haven't seen the names to every spring/creek yet More than likely, you're talking about the Cherry Creek North of Ely, Nevada as that is the most common/popular referred one. But there is a Cherry Creek just North of Vegas that might have been the one if you were out and about at Lake Mead.

Also, I can get some pics of the rock cabins Bob talked about that the CCC built at the Valley of Fire. I understand they also might have built some at a place called Bird Springs South of Vegas as well. Haven't been there yet, but it's on the list.

Default Birds Springs

Gary

Bird Springs was a tremenodius acheo sight, a lot was looted both before and after the CCC was there, they did some work to separate the stock water from the archeologist stuff and an attempt to preserve it. Sadly, stuff continued to wind up in private collections. I think we finally made a good defense when my friend John Hiatt and myself were pushing to expand the boundary of the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area and we got to draw up the map.for Congress Yup Bird Springs is now the southeastern most part of RRCNCA.
    Yet Another Bob

Yep - Cherry Creek N of Ely. I really wanted to check it out. I know (though I didn't see) that there is a ghost town there. The location from the ccc alumni website indicates that the camp was 9 miles south of the town.

Whatever you guys can get together - if you are able to send me photos I can use in the museum (with full credit, of course), that would be great. I learned some more info about the CC I'll write here in a seperate post. thanks! Pam

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    Bob-

I stayed at the CCC camp in Lee Canyon in 5th grade as a school camp out. Kind of like a big Boy/Girl Scouts deal but with the entire 5th grade class for 3 days. Was fun to see fellow kids who had never been in the "big wilderness" react to their new surroundings

podunklander-

Which Cherry Creek? For some reason Cherry Creek/Spring was a very popular name to use back in the day. I know of at least 10 Cherry Creeks/Springs and I haven't seen the names to every spring/creek yet More than likely, you're talking about the Cherry Creek North of Ely, Nevada as that is the most common/popular referred one. But there is a Cherry Creek just North of Vegas that might have been the one if you were out and about at Lake Mead.

Also, I can get some pics of the rock cabins Bob talked about that the CCC built at the Valley of Fire. I understand they also might have built some at a place called Bird Springs South of Vegas as well. Haven't been there yet, but it's on the list.

Thread Information