Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a real ghost town experience in Cochise, Arizona

Default Have a real ghost town experience in Cochise, Arizona

my sister and I had the pleasure of a real ghost town experience in Cochise, Arizona. We stayed overnight in the Cochise Hotel. The hotel has original furnishings, it is full of antiques. You can call 520-384-3156 to make reservations. We were able to go inside the old store which is just across the street from the hotel, and see the original shelves, etc. from the old store. For an experience of a lifetime, go to Cochise and stay in the hotel. If you need supper the night before, all you have to do is make a reservation. The proprietress of the hotel fixed us a great breakfast in the morning. A two room suite including breakfast was only $69.00, and we had use of the parlor and dining room while we were there.

Cochise is north of the ghost town trail, which takes you to the ghost towns of Pearce, Courtland and Gleeson and then on to Tombstone. Its a perfect location to start a tour of the ghost towns of Cochise County, Arizona.

Was out yesterday reviewing some job sites with my partner in SE Arizona... We got done early and decided to cruise the Ghost Town Trail...

Pic #1: Pearce isn't really ghost anymore - lots of people moving into the area from Sunsites (where the Pearce Post Office is now located) all the way to Sunizona and backed up to the Cochise Mountains... Lots of good photo ops though - at least for now... These places are probably going to disappear due to development rather than further deterioration...

Pic #2: Another Pearce photo... This one is on the national register so should continue standing for awhile - Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church, 1893...

Pic #3: From the Cochise Stronghold in the mountains to the west of Pearce... There are a few old ranch houses now owned by the Forest Service in the area... If you go to the Ghost Town Trail - don't miss going to Cochise's Stronghold... Great historic trails... Amazing, unique mountain scenery...

We spent most of our time over near the Chiricahua Mountains looking for the original Camp Rucker... Got it narrowed down but it got dark and cold!... We talked to a local that said it was 10 degrees when he woke up the day before... Nice mid-60's during the day, but the desert goes to flash freeze when the sun goes down... Anyways - Camp Rucker - not the forest service campground camp - but the original camp in the valley is what we were looking for... If anyone has coordinates or other info, I'd appreciate it...

Watt Noise?
    Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Watt Noise; 01-20-2006 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks, TW... That's the one I meant as the "campground camp" though... Some accounts of the troop at Camp Rucker have them "camped" originally further down in the valley along the river around mile post 14 or 15... The "campground camp" is at mile post 23... The valley post location makes more sense historically because of the lay of the land... They were charged with border patrol and the MP 15 area would give them easy access to 2 valleys running N and S from Mexico... Both valleys are equidistant from MP 15 to the E and W...

Interesting current events episode with regards to this:

While we were driving out to the area from 191 we passed a Border Patrol car going the opposite direction and then were passed by another BP vehicle going the same direction we were - shift change I guess... Anyways right at the eastern edge of the area we were looking was the BP car that had passed us... Well we stopped to see if they knew of the "original Camp Rucker" which I feel is right where they were parked!... The officer gave me directions to the campgrounds fort - oh well... We drove on - not wanting to interfere with their patrol or look suspicious... Strikes me as history repeating itself - where better to guard the border than this one spot...

Kevin

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I would like to stay at the Cochise Hotel myself sometime or at some of the other BB's in Tombstone or Bisbee though they can be a bit pricey. Big Nose Kate Fisher who was the mistress of Doc Holliday is suppose to have worked at the Cochise Hotel.

Cochise County is perhaps the best area in the state for ghost towns and historic sites and I believe the most historic area in Arizona. Been there many times and have always enjoyed it.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Did you ever find the Camp Rucker? I am from Douglas & am very familiar with the area. I am currently doing historical military research in that specific area. Let me know if you still are interested. Whitey

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Vulture went there in May. He's a fantastic researcher!

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...ghlight=rucker
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Default Camp Rucker

The photos Vulture posted are of the second camp. It is up the in the canyon, just past the turnoff to the public campgrounds. There was the earlier army camp out of the mouth of the canyon, maybe two miles from the shown in the photos. I have not seen any remains of it nor heard of any in 70 years. Part of my research has to do with the functioning and communication with Camp Rucker and Camp Bowie, to the north.

The original one is the one I was trying to locate as well - not the campground area camp up the mountain... Have not had the chance to do anything more with it myself... Any info you have for future reference would be appreciated though...

Thanks, Kevin

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hmmm...and just which canyon is this suppose to be in?
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Where's Rrucker...

I am interested in this as well. What is your source for locating Rucker 2 miles from the known ruins?. I can not find any other location in any map or book. I would like to become better informed.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulture; 08-16-2008 at 05:12 AM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thread Information