Thread: Property for Sale in Hornitos, CA

Default Property for Sale in Hornitos, CA

Hello Ya'all

I have property for sale in Hornitos, CA (Mariposa County). Homes that I use for a rental business. This is the ultimate Ghost Town. Hornitos means "Little Ovens" and was named becaused the ground was too hard to dig graves so the burried their dead on top of the ground and covered them with clay and rocks making it appear as a old oven. Once upon a time it was a gold rush community of 15,000 or so, population is now about 75. Joaquin Murita (the Bandit) used Hornitos as a hideout. The old original jail is still standing as well as alot of old saloons, stores, and the old Gheadelli chocolate factory. There is so much history here that you can hear the old gold miners whisper in your ear that they just struck it rich.

Default ? regarding hornitos properties

is your property historical interest? can you email me about your asking price

osgoodja

I would be interested in hearing more about the property, like its size, terrain, utilities available, asking price, etc.. Photos maybe?

Exclamation Detailed information about Hornitos Homes

Hello,

Thank you for you inquiry about the Hornitos Homes. Here is some more information for you. My pictures are too big to upload through this message board. Please e-mail me at ranamuk@sti.net and I will reply with photos of the homes.

There is a total of 4 homes. The largest home is 3 bed/2 bath with an attached garage. Laundry hookups are located in the garage. One home is 2 bed/1bath, and the other 2 are 1 bed/1 bath. All homes have basements for storage, heating and cooking with propane, cooled with evaporative coolers (swamp coolers), water provided by a private 60 gallon per minute well (I have never had a problem with water shortage), two homes have had new roofs placed, landscaped with grass, roses, shrubs, grapes, and fruit and non-fruit bearing trees. A cyclone fence is in front of the homes. PG&E provides electricity. Propane can be provided by a company of your choice, usually delivered from either Mariposa or Merced. All homes have to be sold together because they are on one water and propane system. Currently I rent these homes and my rents run from $500 to $375 a month. While I should raise my rent amounts I choose not to and concentrate my efforts on selling this property

There is a large lot behind these homes that can be used for gardens, livestock, or to build sheds, whatever you may choose to use it for. While Iím not good with measurements, I would say that the empty lot is about 11/2 to 2 football fields. Beside the lot is a creek where in the past we have panned and found small flakes. We donít own the creek, but no one minds if we pan, so long as we donít pollute the creek.

Hornitos is a wonderful, quiet little town of about 75 people. Located in the town square is a bar (dating back to the 1800ís), and a post office. From these home you can walk the streets and find an abundant amount of history. The grave yard is one of the more favorite sites people explore. Graves that date back to early 1800ís. Still standing is the original Hornitos jail, saloons, St. Catherineís Church, General Merchandise stores, Feed Stores, etc.

Hornitos was founded in the 1800ís by Mexicans and the Chinese during the Gold Rush. Labeled as the Meanest Town in the Mother Lode, Hornitos was home to many bandits and Indians who would steal from miners their riches. Hornitos terrain is mostly rolling hills, scattered with rocks and clay. Cattle are usually grazed on these hills. Surrounding Hornitos are gold mines, some of which are still being mined today. The Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory also started in Hornitos before it moved to San Francisco. The homes are located across the street from the Ghirardelli Chocolate building.

I adore Hornitos. It seems to have a way of placing you in the middle of the gold rush and experiencing for yourself what it might have been like during that time.

I am asking for this property a price of $410,000, I am negotiable. The MLS number is 14534.

Below are links for further research on Hornitos. As stated above, my pictures are too large to upload on this forum. Please e-mail me at ranamuk@sti.net and I will reply with photos.

Thanks,
    Sandi Rohrig

http://www.ghosttown.info/ca/hornitos/

http://www.mariposaresearch.net/HORN1912.html

http://www.malakoff.com/hornitos.htm This site has some great pictures of Hornitos.

http://www.mariposaresearch.net/HORNTOUR.html

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~gtusa/usa/ca/hornitos.htm
    Last edited by ranamuk; 01-28-2006 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Incorrect statement

Hello,

Please see post on this forum "Detailed Information about Hornitos Homes." I am asking $410,000.

Please see post on this forum "Detailed Information about Hornitos Homes." I am asking $410,000.

Thread Information